Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 09:54 AM
RE: Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.
(22-10-2012 09:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 08:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  There are others on TTA that might qualify as a Fry but given that on another thread we are hurling King Lear quotes at each other... Nuff said.

Ooh, I'm quite good with quotes.. though, possibly not Shakespeare... for someone who's studied British literature in depth, I'm ashamed to say that most of my knowledge of Shakespeare's plots comes from a book of his plays retold for kids.Undecided The Neoclassicists were much more my thing Smile

Shocking

Heart Hug Heart

Blush

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 10:41 AM
(22-10-2012 09:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 09:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  Ooh, I'm quite good with quotes.. though, possibly not Shakespeare... for someone who's studied British literature in depth, I'm ashamed to say that most of my knowledge of Shakespeare's plots comes from a book of his plays retold for kids.Undecided The Neoclassicists were much more my thing Smile

Shocking

Heart Hug Heart

Blush

Hehe! I take it you like them, too? Fielding (I made my whole family read Tom Jones), Sterne? Or maybe poetry, possibly Cowper? I think his "Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more."
is almost enough to counterbalance that mysterious way bitWink

Or are you just happy because of my public admission of ignorance?Wink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
22-10-2012, 12:36 PM
(22-10-2012 09:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think I can help out here. Let's put it this way...My name isn't Alan Davies.

Is it Jonathan by any chance? Or is your surname Creek? Or maybe, just maybe, you happen to live in a windmill?

22-10-2012, 12:38 PM
(22-10-2012 10:41 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 09:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Shocking

Heart Hug Heart

Blush

Hehe! I take it you like them, too? Fielding (I made my whole family read Tom Jones), Sterne? Or maybe poetry, possibly Cowper? I think his "Knowledge is proud that he has learned so much;
Wisdom is humble that he knows no more."
is almost enough to counterbalance that mysterious way bitWink

Or are you just happy because of my public admission of ignorance?Wink

Bowing

To give you some context: here, if I had mentioned Neoclassicists my colleagues and neighbours would have thought I was critiquing a movie starring Keanu Reeves .

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-10-2012, 12:46 PM
(22-10-2012 12:36 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 09:38 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think I can help out here. Let's put it this way...My name isn't Alan Davies.

Is it Jonathan by any chance? Or is your surname Creek? Or maybe, just maybe, you happen to live in a windmill?

No, it's Eric, and while I've been up several creeks without a paddle, that's not my surname.
I at first thought I might fancy living in a windmill, but then I realized it would probably be a bit too drafty for my liking. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-10-2012, 01:03 PM
(22-10-2012 12:38 PM)DLJ Wrote:  To give you some context: here, if I had mentioned Neoclassicists my colleagues and neighbours would have thought I was critiquing a movie starring Keanu Reeves .

Eh? Keanu Reeves? Is there such a film or is Keanu the extent of their knowledge about the world (and don't worry - 99% of the people I know are the same... not that it makes it any better).

And now for a hat-trick in intellectual snobbery and tooting my one horn, but when I was studying Portuguese and had to write stuff to practise, I kinda wrote a dystopian short-story in which the character (not that he did much) was professor of Neoclassical literature - that's how much I liked them (plus, they do sound kinda cool to the lay earWink)

22-10-2012, 01:06 PM
(22-10-2012 12:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I at first thought I might fancy living in a windmill, but then I realized it would probably be a bit too drafty for my liking. Smile

You would be living inside it and not perched on the sails, though, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't mind a lighthouse myself, esp. given my subconscious obsession with tsunamis and large waves in generalWink

22-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.
(22-10-2012 01:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 12:46 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I at first thought I might fancy living in a windmill, but then I realized it would probably be a bit too drafty for my liking. Smile

You would be living inside it and not perched on the sails, though, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't mind a lighthouse myself, esp. given my subconscious obsession with tsunamis and large waves in generalWink

Now a lighthouse sounds great! I know of one on a small island off the tip of Washington state. It's gorgeous and the best part: NO PEOPLE! Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-10-2012, 01:17 PM
(22-10-2012 01:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Now a lighthouse sounds great! I know of one on a small island off the tip of Washington state. It's gorgeous and the best part: NO PEOPLE! Smile

Are they hiring?

22-10-2012, 01:27 PM
(22-10-2012 01:06 PM)Vera Wrote:  

Or it's a phallic thing. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post