Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 01:29 PM
(22-10-2012 01:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 01:11 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Now a lighthouse sounds great! I know of one on a small island off the tip of Washington state. It's gorgeous and the best part: NO PEOPLE! Smile

Are they hiring?

I'll look into it. It's on a Native American reservation so you might have to be part of the tribe. Confused

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 01:35 PM
RE: Its... It's not so hard! Is it? It is.
(22-10-2012 01:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 01:17 PM)Vera Wrote:  Are they hiring?

I'll look into it. It's on a Native American reservation so you might have to be part of the tribe. Confused

Will convert if I have toSmile

And no, Chas, it's not a phallic thing, even though I do love huge treesWink It is indeed about the lack of people and my uncanny attraction to huge waves... I'm a simple person, you know, if I want something, I go for it and not for something that might look like itWink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
22-10-2012, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2012 02:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
"Its" and "it's" can give you fits.
Better to take hits, than have fits about "its".
If you keep having fits over "its" and "it's",
You may just find, you'll get the shits.

Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-10-2012, 02:25 PM
(22-10-2012 01:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Its" and "it's" can give you fits.
Better to take hits, than have fits about its.
If you have too many fits, regarding "its and it's",
You may just fine, you have the shits.

Weeping

If you're bugged about its difference with it's,
it's not like the blitz that battered the Brits.
The apostrophe sits in its place in the "it's",
it's not picking nits, it's a test of your wits.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
22-10-2012, 02:27 PM
All phallic tangents aside, I'm also a bit peeved by writers who don't take the time to learn grammar, or at best, don't bother to self-correct as they write. I'm not talking about typos; we all do that and I'm quite forgiving on that ground. I'm talking about blatant grammar errors.

I predict it will get worse.

Not because the education system is failing our youngsters, although that may also be true - but it's a subject for a different thread.

But because of the ease and availability of written communication today. In the old days, if you wanted to communicate to a friend, you had to take the time to write it all out by hand. Far enough back, this meant dipping your quell into an inkpot, then writing just a few strokes, getting more ink, over and over. Nobody would bother unless they had something important to say, and most people felt that if it's important enough to go through the hassle to write it down, then it's important enough to write it well. Further, only the elite had access to enough education to know how to write, and they knew their recipient was also an educated elitist who, by the very nature of elitism, would be critiquing the written communication, so great pains were taken to get it write/right.

It becomes even more true when you consider trying to communicate to the masses via a book. With no word processors, creating a manuscript written by hand was a long and tedious undertaking. Editing and typesetting was also long and tedious. And nobody wanted to print or distribute a book full of errors, so great efforts were made on everyone's part, author, editor, typesetter, etc., to eliminate all errors.

Fast forward to today where almost every idiot can read and write, though not all of them learned proper grammar (or spelling), and most of them have access to the internet. Posting on forums, updating status on Facebook, tweeting on Twitter, whatever - we all do it. But now it's easy. Just type. No quills, no inkwells, no hassle. And millions of people can read our all important posts, statuses, and tweets (I'm sure millions of people are reading this post right now). And we're way too busy running off to the next forum and the next post to spend any time worrying about the one we're writing now. And spellchecker saves us from egregious errors. Sometimes. And most idiots think that's enough.

There's even a recently evolved mentality that "What I say is more important than how I say it" which is usually followed by something like "If you're too busy correcting my grammar then you missed the point of what I was saying so I don't care what you think". More or less.

So we're fare less motivated to be correct and far less concerned about correctness while simultaneously being far more flooded with under-educated idiots who can't or won't take the time to learn or apply proper rules of grammar.

And it will only go downhill from here. Imagine the day we're all plugged in to the internet via some kind of brain jack. Straight steam-of-consciousness downloads to every forum site we can visit in just the blink of an eye. Yeah, that's gonna be great.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
22-10-2012, 02:29 PM
(22-10-2012 02:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 01:58 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Its" and "it's" can give you fits.
Better to take hits, than have fits about its.
If you have too many fits, regarding "its and it's",
You may just fine, you have the shits.

Weeping

If you're bugged about its difference with it's,
it's not like the blitz that battered the Brits.
The apostrophe sits in its place in the "it's",
it's not picking nits, it's a test of your wits.

We're not worthy!

[Image: notworthy.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-10-2012, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2012 10:41 AM by Bucky Ball.)
I thought of that in bits, while listening to "slit"s,
in Physics class, with Pete and Fritz.
For lunch we had eggs, bacon and grits,,
Now, I'm just need to go have a Schlitz.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
22-10-2012, 02:57 PM
You can keep your fits and shits
And your blitz, your Brits and your nits
I'll leave you to your grits with Fritz
All I need is some great big tits

Cool

(sorry ladies, no objectification intended, but I couldn't resist the rhyme)

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
22-10-2012, 04:22 PM
(22-10-2012 02:57 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  You can keep your fits and shits
And your blitz, your Brits and your nits
I'll leave you to your grits with Fritz
All I need is some great big tits

Cool

(sorry ladies, no objectification intended, but I couldn't resist the rhyme)

This needs to go in both the Poet's Corner Thread and the Boobie Thread. Where's germanyt? We need him to revive the Breastages Thread!

~Izel
22-10-2012, 09:17 PM
(22-10-2012 02:27 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  All phallic tangents aside, I'm also a bit peeved by writers who don't take the time to learn grammar, or at best, don't bother to self-correct as they write. I'm not talking about typos; we all do that and I'm quite forgiving on that ground. I'm talking about blatant grammar errors.

I predict it will get worse.

Not because the education system is failing our youngsters, although that may also be true - but it's a subject for a different thread.

But because of the ease and availability of written communication today. In the old days, if you wanted to communicate to a friend, you had to take the time to write it all out by hand. Far enough back, this meant dipping your quell into an inkpot, then writing just a few strokes, getting more ink, over and over. Nobody would bother unless they had something important to say, and most people felt that if it's important enough to go through the hassle to write it down, then it's important enough to write it well. Further, only the elite had access to enough education to know how to write, and they knew their recipient was also an educated elitist who, by the very nature of elitism, would be critiquing the written communication, so great pains were taken to get it write/right.

It becomes even more true when you consider trying to communicate to the masses via a book. With no word processors, creating a manuscript written by hand was a long and tedious undertaking. Editing and typesetting was also long and tedious. And nobody wanted to print or distribute a book full of errors, so great efforts were made on everyone's part, author, editor, typesetter, etc., to eliminate all errors.

Fast forward to today where almost every idiot can read and write, though not all of them learned proper grammar (or spelling), and most of them have access to the internet. Posting on forums, updating status on Facebook, tweeting on Twitter, whatever - we all do it. But now it's easy. Just type. No quills, no inkwells, no hassle. And millions of people can read our all important posts, statuses, and tweets (I'm sure millions of people are reading this post right now). And we're way too busy running off to the next forum and the next post to spend any time worrying about the one we're writing now. And spellchecker saves us from egregious errors. Sometimes. And most idiots think that's enough.

There's even a recently evolved mentality that "What I say is more important than how I say it" which is usually followed by something like "If you're too busy correcting my grammar then you missed the point of what I was saying so I don't care what you think". More or less.

So we're fare less motivated to be correct and far less concerned about correctness while simultaneously being far more flooded with under-educated idiots who can't or won't take the time to learn or apply proper rules of grammar.

And it will only go downhill from here. Imagine the day we're all plugged in to the internet via some kind of brain jack. Straight steam-of-consciousness downloads to every forum site we can visit in just the blink of an eye. Yeah, that's gonna be great.

Wow! Only one typo.

I was tempted to CHAS-tise you for getting serious (there are other grammar-threads for that) but you redeemed yourself later with a "tits" poem.

Bravo!