Its god's Job USMC Billboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2015, 03:43 PM
Its god's Job USMC Billboard
[Image: attachment.php?aid=2854]

I've been seeing this picture floating around on Facebook like crazy. It's getting tons and tons of likes and comments. People think thats what the USMC stands for. I'm like WHAT?! I had a close cousin that spent 8 years in the core and he totally doesn't agree with this and also, isn't it illegal to claim that statement is by the Marines when it is not?

And if it was true, it's not the fair to ones in the Marines that are atheist or agnostic, wouldn't that make them feel like they the minority? I don't think the USMC would allow such a thing.

I just hate seeing this spread around. I know it's most likely photoshopped or some christian propaganda bullshit. But Reading the comments, made me really sad and angry. Of course, an atheist comments on this picture and gets replies from christians saying "America is a christian nation, be one of us or get out." or some shit like that. Ugh....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes nerwin's post
19-07-2015, 05:15 PM
RE: Its god's Job USMC Billboard
So is their god unable or unwilling to arrange the meeting itself? Nevermind the fact that it allowed the terrorism in the first place.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
19-07-2015, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2015 05:28 PM by pablo.)
I've had a couple friends post this picture, I commented that maybe without god they wouldn't feel the need to kill each other in the first place.
They both liked the comment but did not reply.
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
19-07-2015, 06:23 PM
God can't fuck with their freewill and all.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-07-2015, 06:46 PM
(19-07-2015 05:15 PM)unfogged Wrote:  So is their god unable or unwilling to arrange the meeting itself? Nevermind the fact that it allowed the terrorism in the first place.

Well the amusing bit is the assumption of it being something negative because their Good christian god is the one judging them.

Isn't many of their goals to be judged by Allah? I think they are arranging their meeting with god themselves if they're a religious terrorist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
19-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Their god was too busy to stop the attack in the first place ?
I suspect it's photo shopped, unless someone knows differently.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-07-2015, 07:30 PM
Maybe I have a different outlook based on the context provided by my own life, but here are my own thoughts on the subject:

First, if I use the term "we" or "us", I am referring to all military members in general, specifically those whose job it is to engage the enemy, including but not limited to enemies defined as terrorists. I am a soldier, not a marine.

• Quotes like this have been repeated for years. They probably had a similar version with "krauts" instead of "terrorists" back in WWII. Assuming this billboard is real and not photoshopped, I don't get the impression that the Marines are trying to claim credit for the quote. They're merely displaying something that they think sounds cool, and then mentioning that it was put up on display by the Marines. Bringing attention to yourself is, after all, the purpose of an advertisement.

• We also have similar quotes, but with other religions like asatru. It's become quite the fad to talk about dying in battle and going to halls of Valhalla to await the coming of Ragnarok. There are, however, only two people in my unit who identify as pagans. One is really a pagan, but of a different variety than the ones who actually believe in Odin and Valhalla, and me, because I'm a smartass and decided to put Asatru on my dog tags because I consider it to be a more warrior friendly substitute for Pastafarianism. Neither I or any of the other people talking about Valhalla actually believe it. That said, yes many of them do believe in the concept of divine judgement. Quotes like this are, nonetheless, not meant to be taken absolutely literally. It's meant more to reinforce a mindset held by a class of people who identify themselves as warriors. Those who do not will likely not be able to relate to its figurative meaning, and will find it cheesy, irrational, and possibly insulting. And we don't really care.

• I don't know specifically what your cousin's job was in the Marines, though I concede that there are many different roles, and the vast majority do not involve combat. The way I'd put it myself is that within the context of having belief in divine judgement, arranging the meeting is indeed one of the jobs, but far from the only job.

• I'm not going to disagree with the idea that a public promotion of religious context is not the correct way to do things. We are, indeed, suppose to have a separation of church and state. But when I first joined the military, I took such things much more seriously than I do now. After getting shot at a few times, however, stuff like this just doesn't seem as meaningful as it did at first. Yes, I want to be able to be atheist (or a pretend pagan) without fear of repercussions. But even with all the religion floating around in the military, I've never really felt discriminated against. Yeah, God makes his way into military rhetoric. Yeah, we have chaplains, most of whom are outspoken Christian. Yes, we may even go into prayer, as a group, before we set out on a potentially dangerous operation, possibly lead in an official capacity by the chaplain. But considering that most of the people do practice religion, and the environment is completely different than in, say, an office, where you can realistically expect to go home at the end of the day without worrying about whether or not you'll have the option of being read your last rites if things go wrong, I'm just not gonna complain about that stuff. I'm not gonna say there haven't been some heated discussions, but when it comes time to work it's never interfered. I've never felt it hindered me in terms of promotion or eligibility for awards. Generally speaking, if I'm respectful towards the beliefs of the Christian majority, they've typically been respectful towards the beliefs of the non-Christian minority, whether they be Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, or Pagan.

'Murican Canadian
19-07-2015, 08:26 PM
(19-07-2015 07:30 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Maybe I have a different outlook based on the context provided by my own life, but here are my own thoughts on the subject:

First, if I use the term "we" or "us", I am referring to all military members in general, specifically those whose job it is to engage the enemy, including but not limited to enemies defined as terrorists. I am a soldier, not a marine.

• Quotes like this have been repeated for years. They probably had a similar version with "krauts" instead of "terrorists" back in WWII. Assuming this billboard is real and not photoshopped, I don't get the impression that the Marines are trying to claim credit for the quote. They're merely displaying something that they think sounds cool, and then mentioning that it was put up on display by the Marines. Bringing attention to yourself is, after all, the purpose of an advertisement.

• We also have similar quotes, but with other religions like asatru. It's become quite the fad to talk about dying in battle and going to halls of Valhalla to await the coming of Ragnarok. There are, however, only two people in my unit who identify as pagans. One is really a pagan, but of a different variety than the ones who actually believe in Odin and Valhalla, and me, because I'm a smartass and decided to put Asatru on my dog tags because I consider it to be a more warrior friendly substitute for Pastafarianism. Neither I or any of the other people talking about Valhalla actually believe it. That said, yes many of them do believe in the concept of divine judgement. Quotes like this are, nonetheless, not meant to be taken absolutely literally. It's meant more to reinforce a mindset held by a class of people who identify themselves as warriors. Those who do not will likely not be able to relate to its figurative meaning, and will find it cheesy, irrational, and possibly insulting. And we don't really care.

• I don't know specifically what your cousin's job was in the Marines, though I concede that there are many different roles, and the vast majority do not involve combat. The way I'd put it myself is that within the context of having belief in divine judgement, arranging the meeting is indeed one of the jobs, but far from the only job.

• I'm not going to disagree with the idea that a public promotion of religious context is not the correct way to do things. We are, indeed, suppose to have a separation of church and state. But when I first joined the military, I took such things much more seriously than I do now. After getting shot at a few times, however, stuff like this just doesn't seem as meaningful as it did at first. Yes, I want to be able to be atheist (or a pretend pagan) without fear of repercussions. But even with all the religion floating around in the military, I've never really felt discriminated against. Yeah, God makes his way into military rhetoric. Yeah, we have chaplains, most of whom are outspoken Christian. Yes, we may even go into prayer, as a group, before we set out on a potentially dangerous operation, possibly lead in an official capacity by the chaplain. But considering that most of the people do practice religion, and the environment is completely different than in, say, an office, where you can realistically expect to go home at the end of the day without worrying about whether or not you'll have the option of being read your last rites if things go wrong, I'm just not gonna complain about that stuff. I'm not gonna say there haven't been some heated discussions, but when it comes time to work it's never interfered. I've never felt it hindered me in terms of promotion or eligibility for awards. Generally speaking, if I'm respectful towards the beliefs of the Christian majority, they've typically been respectful towards the beliefs of the non-Christian minority, whether they be Jewish, Buddhist, Atheist, or Pagan.

He was infantry and sniper. He saw quite bit of combat, has PTSD..but getting better every day.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
[+] 1 user Likes nerwin's post
19-07-2015, 08:27 PM
I remember this one from years ago when they were trying to attribute it to Norman Schwartzkopf. Snopes dismissed it.

http://www.snopes.com/military/norman.asp

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post