Its ok to be wrong

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Thumbs Up Its ok to be wrong
My Journey started with my friend, who is a Muslim.

I went to a Koran study with her at our campus Muslim student association center, and was not convinced. I raised objections to their belief that their God is loving, wants equality for women, and how their religion is peaceful. I even used specific scriptures from the Koran to point out a direct contradiction to the “loving god” hypothesis.

They told me that the passages I mentioned were taken out of context, or didn’t actually mean what it clearly was saying. They said to truly understand it we must read it in Arabic. When I mentioned that some Muslims do take these claims seriously, they told me that the violent fringe groups are not true Muslims. The problem with that charge is that the violent fringe groups are saying the moderate Muslims are not taking Allah seriously. So who is actually a true Muslim?

"But...what about the Bible?" I thought. Isn't there issues with the Bible that I have rationalized away. The Bible endorses slavery (Leviticus 25:44-46) (Exodus 21:20-21) ((Exodus 21:7-11), terrible treatment of rape victims (Deuteronomy 22:23-24) (Deuteronomy 22:28-29) (Judges 21:10-24) (Zechariah 14:1-2), mass genocide (just about any time the wandering Hebrews came across anyone in the desert), and much more. These are some of the many “red flags” in Christianity. No person with common sense could believe this is a peaceful god. But, there are many rationalizations for these beliefs that come when you presuppose god is good, and then justify that god is good in spite of the “problem areas” in the Bible. But where are we supposed to get the notion that god is good in the first place, if not the Bible?

At one point in my life, I thought that people who didn’t have my god couldn’t be truly happy. I could not imagine my life without a supernatural force guiding it. And I never wanted to doubt. All I wanted to do was prove the Bible true and good for my Muslim friend, but the more I tried to understand the objections to the Bible so I could “be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience,”(1 peter 3:15), the more I tried, the more I realized that my rationalizations are weak, and everything came down to believing it because it gave me comfort.

When I was 11, I asked my parents to put me in a Christian school. My heart's desire was to be a missionary. After five years of Christian school, I entered a Christian ministry that I still love. I love the people, the way they practice their religion, and the close-nit relationships I have with them. In those five years, I have read the Bible almost every day, and at least three times in its entirety. The only reason I no longer believe as I once did is because I decided to take a step back, and examine Christianity with outside eyes.

My journey our of Christianity coincided with my journey out of belief in a god. While reading arguments against the Christian god, I also found the god hypothesis to lack any real merit.

Just because something feels uncomfortable doesn’t mean it’s wrong. In fact, I’ve found that the more black and white, simplistic answers to any issue tends to be the most questionable.

I had someone I barely know say similar things to me when I was reaching out to them with my campus ministry a few years ago. All I could think is, “how sad they don’t know the truth,” and attempt to change their mind. I really thought my actions were justified and loving, and I honestly, truly cared whether or not they were saved. Admitting I was wrong is hard and embarrassing, but I care too much about truth to assert something to be true that is not evidently true. I have realized that it’s ok to be wrong!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Miss.Kzeena's post
26-08-2014, 09:21 PM
RE: Its ok to be wrong
[Image: Welcome-12-june_zpsc8b9a7e4.gif]
26-08-2014, 09:31 PM
AHHH they are "not true Muslims" the no true Scotsman fallacy right off the bat. "Taken out of context" right from the start too. Holy cow!! Good for you for stating your doubts plainly.

Welcome, I think you'll fit in quite nicely here!! Big Grin

Edit: wanted to add: awesome thread title, it IS ok to be wrong Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
26-08-2014, 09:39 PM
(26-08-2014 09:31 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  AHHH they are "not true Muslims" the no true Scotsman fallacy right off the bat. "Taken out of context" right from the start too. Holy cow!! Good for you for stating your doubts plainly.

Welcome, I think you'll fit in quite nicely here!! Big Grin

Edit: wanted to add: awesome thread title, it IS ok to be wrong Thumbsup

I've practically made it a hobby. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
26-08-2014, 09:44 PM
I enjoyed reading your story. Thank you.

And welcome aboard.

27-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Oh shoot. I will definitely read your story later (I am going to bed now). I just wanted to say that, "It's ok to be wrong." is a saying that I tell people so so so often. I think realizing this is very important and it makes me happy when I hear (or see) another person say that.

It is definitely okay to be wrong. There is no shame. Nobody knows everything, and everybody has things they have yet to learn.

Congratulations!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
27-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Smile You sound like a really nice person. Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Welcome, and enjoy the sane part of the web. If you have any questions let me know.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
27-08-2014, 04:55 AM
(27-08-2014 04:51 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Welcome, and enjoy the sane part of the web. If you have any questions let me know.

^^ We question his sanity all the time.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
27-08-2014, 05:54 AM
Welcome! Pull up a chair and jump right in! Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man