Its true b/c I "feel" it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Its true b/c I "feel" it.
So if you are reading this you probably are aware that we have no evidence to suggest that i giant invisible man in the sky is controlling us. yet xians struggle through life on their own and any good fortune is credited to god while the misfortunes are either the devil trying to "take my joy" or some test from god. Point this out to them and they could care less. they say "I can feel it. I have a testimony". Listening to them is funny because they are all the same. "I was sinning and the lord changed me"...now they just do different sins. Or "the car flipped twice and I walked away" (btw for every one of those im sure there a thousands who are dead or crippled) LOL. but what are your rebuttals to...

"you just know when you get saved"
"I have a testimony"
"I can feel it no one can tell me otherwise"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2012, 12:31 PM
RE: Its true b/c I "feel" it.
My rebuttal to those would be a very violent nipple twist.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
28-05-2012, 12:42 PM
(28-05-2012 12:28 PM)roadrunner Wrote:  ....but what are your rebuttals to...

"you just know when you get saved"
"I have a testimony"
Depending on my mood....
The saved thing would make me think/say:
- How?

I have a testimony:
- So does everyone...

I can feel it...:
- And? Here, chant this: *insert something like Cogito ergo deus non est* feel good? like the feeling? is that god? Here let's get more to join in! *get others to join in* Do you all feel the spirit! Cool! By the way you were chant "I think therefore there is no god".

And actually I did do something like the chant thing.... I had a really religious person say something about how they feel god and I said "really, you can get that feeling from anything--even chants. Here, just say "I like hotdogs" over and over" she did and said "wow, I feel good" It made her think. Still believes in god, but she does know now that just because chants/worship causes good feelings, it doesn't mean as much as she once thought.
28-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't really pay attention to such claims any more.

'How do you know the FSM?'
'I felt it in my sleep. It was stroking my hair. It felt amazing tbh'
'hahaa that's ridiculous, you do know that you might just have been feeling good right?'
'Nah of course not. You don't understand how great it felt. He was obviously talking to me!'
'Well you're stupid.'
'Ok, how do you know God exists?'
'Oh, when I was in church I had a feeling of greatness and profound bliss. It was so great - clearly God wanted me to accept him into his life!'
'Don't you realise how similar -'
'You can't tell me otherwise! I just know.'

*nuclear facepalm x1243*

They're just silly. Personal testimonies tell you absolutely nothing apart from the fact that they were enjoying emotional masturbation. It's annoying to think that people of high intellect can stoop to the level of such garbage.

'Hi I'm WLC and I'm going to include this in one of my 7 proofs of God's existence. But remember I'm a professional so you're automatically wrong when you contest anything I say. Obviously.'

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
28-05-2012, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2012 02:29 PM by ghostexorcist.)
When someone tells me that they know the Christian god is real because they can “feel him,” I tell them that Hindus have a similar concept called Darshan. This is where they believe that they see their god, while simultaneously being seen by them—a very emotionally charged event. Then I ask the Christian what makes their own personal experiences any more real than a Hindu experiencing Darshan. They may cite the bible or the experiences of family and friends, but I remind them that Hinduism and other religions have their own holy books and vast number of devotees to back up their claims. This naturally invalidates using religious texts and personal experiences as evidence in general. All gods, especially supreme creator gods, can't all exist at the same time. Finally, if they insist that the Christian god is still real, I ask them how they can determine that if the bible and their own experiences are not valid evidence. Hardcore Christians may ignore this and revert to "God is real because the bible says so."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2012, 02:38 PM
About 3,000 people believe that they have been abducted by space aliens.
Here's the logic.
If space aliens were abducting people they would have advanced technology to erase their memories so that they would not remember the abduction.
Many people do suffer from amnesia; therefore, people are being abducted by aliens.
They feel that this is the cause of their amnesia; therefore, they know that it is true.
You can't rationalize with someone who just wants to believe something.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
28-05-2012, 03:46 PM
(28-05-2012 12:28 PM)roadrunner Wrote:  ...what are your rebuttals to...

End of conversation. When someone says "no one can tell me otherwise" they are saying that their mind is closed and so argument will not persuade them... so why present an argument after that?

I've encountered this argument plenty of times. I've remarked upon Christian family members who tell me up front that nothing is going to change their minds. So why bother?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
28-05-2012, 05:37 PM
(28-05-2012 03:46 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(28-05-2012 12:28 PM)roadrunner Wrote:  ...what are your rebuttals to...

End of conversation. When someone says "no one can tell me otherwise" they are saying that their mind is closed and so argument will not persuade them... so why present an argument after that?

I've encountered this argument plenty of times. I've remarked upon Christian family members who tell me up front that nothing is going to change their minds. So why bother?
Very true. The "argument" is over. Now all that works is ridicule.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
28-05-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm with Frankie. Nipple twist.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
28-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Did anyone else click on this thread thinking it was an open letter to Buddy Christ?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.