Its true b/c I "feel" it.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 08:45 PM
RE: Its true b/c I "feel" it.
(28-05-2012 12:28 PM)roadrunner Wrote:  So if you are reading this you probably are aware that we have no evidence to suggest that i giant invisible man in the sky is controlling us. yet xians struggle through life on their own and any good fortune is credited to god while the misfortunes are either the devil trying to "take my joy" or some test from god. Point this out to them and they could care less. they say "I can feel it. I have a testimony". Listening to them is funny because they are all the same. "I was sinning and the lord changed me"...now they just do different sins. Or "the car flipped twice and I walked away" (btw for every one of those im sure there a thousands who are dead or crippled) LOL. but what are your rebuttals to...

"you just know when you get saved"
"I have a testimony"
"I can feel it no one can tell me otherwise"
When I was five years old, I believed I was R2-D2. And I felt it, too. I went around beeping and pretending my nose was a gun. Just because you feel something, it doesn't make it true. I'm obviously not R2-D2.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thecreativelynamed's post
01-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Our Quest for Happiness

Will “being happy” is the “truth”?..... I doubt it

Will the “truth” make us “happy”?
If yes…. so it is actually “Our quest to be happy” then?

If not…. What is the point of looking for the truth?

The truth will set you free. Free from what: from unhappiness?
So, it is actually “our quest to be happy “ then?

What is the evidence of being happy: Feelings?

Just a thought.
…. although “happy thoughts” alone cannot make Peter Pan fly… he need “fairy dust" as well : )
01-06-2012, 04:45 AM
(01-06-2012 04:17 AM)ahoy Wrote:  Our Quest for Happiness

Will “being happy” is the “truth”?..... I doubt it

Will the “truth” make us “happy”?
If yes…. so it is actually “Our quest to be happy” then?

If not…. What is the point of looking for the truth?

The truth will set you free. Free from what: from unhappiness?
So, it is actually “our quest to be happy “ then?

What is the evidence of being happy: Feelings?

Just a thought.
…. although “happy thoughts” alone cannot make Peter Pan fly… he need “fairy dust" as well : )
This is actually quite a legitimate point, one that comes up often when we talk about things like "should we lie to our children about Santa Claus".

I think that the truth makes us happy. When we find out we've been lied to, that certainly doesn't make us happy. Peter Pan may have needed fairy dust, but he was a kid, and kids like to pretend more than we do. Pretending isn't such a bad thing, either, because that can be fun and make you happy... if you're aware that you're pretending.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2012, 02:35 PM
(28-05-2012 12:28 PM)roadrunner Wrote:  So if you are reading this you probably are aware that we have no evidence to suggest that i giant invisible man in the sky is controlling us. yet xians struggle through life on their own and any good fortune is credited to god while the misfortunes are either the devil trying to "take my joy" or some test from god. Point this out to them and they could care less. they say "I can feel it. I have a testimony". Listening to them is funny because they are all the same. "I was sinning and the lord changed me"...now they just do different sins. Or "the car flipped twice and I walked away" (btw for every one of those im sure there a thousands who are dead or crippled) LOL. but what are your rebuttals to...

"you just know when you get saved"
"I have a testimony"
"I can feel it no one can tell me otherwise"

Personal anecdotes can't be proved or disproved, as they are 100% relative to the person.

You should have no answer to personal experiences because there is no answer that you can give.

Rebutting a personal experience is hypocritical because personal experiences are consider moot in the realm of evidence. The fact that you are trying to rebut a personal experience is giving credence to that experience and actually making it tangible evidence.

Either you accept it as evidence or not. You can't deny it in one instance and then refute it in another.

I suppose the proper response would be, "I have trouble believing a personal experience happened because I don't believe in the source of that experience; however, I cannot refute or confirm your personal experience based on my belief that the claim is invalid."

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
05-06-2012, 06:38 PM
(05-06-2012 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Personal anecdotes can't be proved or disproved, as they are 100% relative to the person.

Unless of course this prophet gets a win with electromagnetic communication. Tongue

True minimizes entropy, but all communication conceptualizes a truth. Or nothing gets communicated. I love my Gwynnies and everything else is comedic fiction, all it takes is absence of malice and you ain't communicating the wrong thing. I'm thinkin'

But yeah. I go up to you, and ask you if you accept Gwyneth Paltrow as your lord and savior, the correct response is a kick in the teeth. Truth gets localized; it most definitely has not been proven that electromagnetic communication doesn't make one a messiah. And it is known that messiahs rise rabble, and leave it spinning. Like a dust devil.

Being right is not always win. Being seen as righteous magnifies penchant for loss. Mob mentality.

Gotta be careful with "what you feel," or dismissing the reality of what another feels. Didn't I tell you I'd devour you for my Gwynnies? I specifically remember that rant.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user