JUST the kind of thing that makes me feel a bit hopeless.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2011, 11:29 PM
JUST the kind of thing that makes me feel a bit hopeless.
One of my several Alabama cousins recently posted this:

"Every day you always hear people saying what they want and bought. Well this is what I want, I want people who are sick with no cure to be able to be cured. I want children with no families, to be adopted, I want people to never have to worry about food and shelter & heat. Most of all I would like to see our nation turn back to God. Now, let's see how many people re-post this....I have a feeling I am gonna see almost no re-post re posted"

Sigh, sigh, sigh.....I read this & thought well DUH! if god is REAL then we wouldn't HAVE these problems! Also I take serious issue with "back to" god. Hold that train baby. Read the founders.

There's nothing I can say here. Whole swathes of the rural population say this stuff with a straight face, apparently blind to the vast disconnect. Individuals can be smart, but the general trend of humanity seems to be heavy on the stupid. Sometimes it's hard to feel optimistic.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2011, 11:56 PM
RE: JUST the kind of thing that makes me feel a bit hopeless.
Belief is a door that is closed to the possibility of learning. Once a belief takes hold, sense dissappears.

I like your signature. It shows the true "loving and forgiving" nature of jesus.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 2 users Like No J.'s post
23-08-2011, 12:04 AM
[Image: stupid-people-in-large-groups.png]

Frustrating, I know, especially when these groups of morons vote for their favourite politicians or try to change what should be taught as science in schools...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
23-08-2011, 05:31 AM
(22-08-2011 11:29 PM)EvilMomLady Wrote:  One of my several Alabama cousins recently posted this:

"Every day you always hear people saying what they want and bought. Well this is what I want, I want people who are sick with no cure to be able to be cured. I want children with no families, to be adopted, I want people to never have to worry about food and shelter & heat. Most of all I would like to see our nation turn back to God. Now, let's see how many people re-post this....I have a feeling I am gonna see almost no re-post re posted"

Sigh, sigh, sigh.....I read this & thought well DUH! if god is REAL then we wouldn't HAVE these problems! Also I take serious issue with "back to" god. Hold that train baby. Read the founders.

There's nothing I can say here. Whole swathes of the rural population say this stuff with a straight face, apparently blind to the vast disconnect. Individuals can be smart, but the general trend of humanity seems to be heavy on the stupid. Sometimes it's hard to feel optimistic.

Hey...this might cheer you up...

“The truth, however unwelcome, is not injurious; it is error which raises false hopes, which destroys, degrades and pollutes, and which, sooner or later, must be abandoned.”
(Mangasar Magurditch Mangasaria)

Remember how many millions of people fervently believed in communism? Not now.

Remember how cigarette smoking was considered harmless and socially acceptable? Not now!

Remember how homosexuals were regarded as second class citizens? Not now!

Christianity will die eventually because it doesn't have a foundation of truth underpinning it. People are getting more educated and are not so isolated. Christianity will one day soon be a dirty word, just like these other untruthful ideas. Stay strong and enjoy the journey!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2011, 09:13 AM
(23-08-2011 12:04 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  [Image: stupid-people-in-large-groups.png]

Frustrating, I know, especially when these groups of morons vote for their favourite politicians or try to change what should be taught as science in schools...

There's science to lend evidence to this claim (number #5).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2011, 09:20 AM
Actually, your cousin almost sort of might rekindle a tiny spark of hope.
She's the real christian - the kind and generous christian that Jesus called to follow him, and she wants America to take up those values, in favour of the distorted ones preached by the power-seeking, greedy, intolerant fundies.

If those bad people are ever going to be defeated, it won't be by intelligent atheists, but by stupid true believers. Dull-witted people will always outnumber sharp ones, but if they're good, it doesn't matter.
Just sayin' don't throw the gold nuggets out with the silt.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
23-08-2011, 09:33 AM
(23-08-2011 09:20 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Actually, your cousin almost sort of might rekindle a tiny spark of hope.
She's the real christian - the kind and generous christian that Jesus called to follow him, and she wants America to take up those values, in favour of the distorted ones preached by the power-seeking, greedy, intolerant fundies.

If those bad people are ever going to be defeated, it won't be by intelligent atheists, but by stupid true believers. Dull-witted people will always outnumber sharp ones, but if they're good, it doesn't matter.
Just sayin' don't throw the gold nuggets out with the silt.

That's why I don't shoot her down. I was cruising FB friends of other relatives, found her, & only asked how we were related. She friended me. I wrote back that based on her posts, I doubted our viewpoints were the same, but she was....oh....we're family & I like everyone, I don't think like everyone here. Something friendly. I call her my 2nd double half cousin because of our complicated relatedness status. She is a beefy older woman who rides a harley in tank tops & every day, posts some syrupy god thing. Takes all kinds. And apparently some of them are in my gene pool.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
23-08-2011, 09:36 AM
[tich]Ooooh - can i get an introduction?[tich]

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
23-08-2011, 09:37 AM
This is her offering this morning:

"WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF WE TREATED OUR BIBLE LIKE OUR CELL PHONE? WE CARRY IT EVERYWHERE WE GO, WE FLIP THROUGH IT THROUGH OUT THE DAY. WE WENT HOME TO GET IT IF WE FORGOT IT. WE RECIEVE MESSAGES FROM THE TEXT WE COULD'NT LIVE WITHOUT. WE GIVE IT TO OUR KIDS AS GIFTS. WE USE IN CASE OF EMERGENCY. ONE MORE THING, IT WOULD NEVER BE DISCONNECTED.JESUS HAS ALREADY PAID THE BILL. PASS THIS ON CAUSE ITS SO TRUE. COPIED WITH PLEASURE."

It was hard not to respond to this on. Wow, if they actually read the bible. Then they might see some inconsistencies in the damned thing.

23-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I know the South has lagged behind the rest of the country economically for complicated reasons. But how much of Southern poverty has to do with the South's culture, especially its form of religiosity? You can't blame it all on climate. Thomas Sowell in one of his books points out that German and Swiss migrants to the South bought cattle and set up productive milk farms while their Southern neighbors of Scotch-Irish ancestry neglected what few scraggly cows they had and lived in chronic poverty. The culture of the immigrants made a critical difference to the outcome. These immigrants didn't all necessarily arrive with their own religions, however; many German-speaking freethinkers came over as well, and they made successful lives in the U.S.

Basically if the South's culture would change so that Southerners recognized human capital as the ultimate source of wealth, they would place more value on intelligence and education and adopt a lower time preference; they would see payoffs from those changes in a few years in terms of higher real incomes and better living conditions. The kind of religion dominant in the South resists these changes, however, because it disparages the human mind and teaches doomsday nonsense like an imminent rapture.
[+] 1 user Likes advancedatheist's post