JW's paid a visit yesterday

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2014, 05:33 PM
RE: JW's paid a visit yesterday
(22-08-2014 02:35 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 12:50 PM)Sam Wrote:  It's worth bearing in mind though that they don't necessarily do it willfully.

I know several who actually admitted to hating themselves for it.

After being baptised they are expected to do it, or be branded "blood guilty"... And possibly even be shunned by friends and family.

Not to mention the threat that God will "destroy" you if you don't do it.

It's a vile organisation. But having been there myself, and hated every minute of it, I can't help but sympathise with those caught up in it.

So what you are saying is that they are doing it at the point of a gun and that's why they won't take no for an answer. That certainly puts things in a different light.

When you were in the religion how often did you have to do this? Also did you believe that God would destroy you if you didn't?

I only did it the once...

But unlike most people, I was kept away from a lot of the heavy indoctrination. It ruined my mum's childhood, she spent much of it in terror, but she felt compelled to at least introduce me to it, because of the fear of what would happen if she didn't.

Really its once you turn 18 and get baptised that it suddenly turns serious... From then on, if you don't live up to their requirements, you're blood guilty... Which means you, your children and grandchildren etc, will all be destroyed at Armageddon.

So anyone who is deemed blood guilty is shunned... They use the term "bad association".

Because I'd been sheltered from a lot of this stuff as a kid, I've only recently found it out.

They keep their members believing that Armageddon is due any day, and that they must try to "save" as many as possible before that... Or be destroyed themselves.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2014, 09:55 PM
(22-08-2014 05:33 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 02:35 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  So what you are saying is that they are doing it at the point of a gun and that's why they won't take no for an answer. That certainly puts things in a different light.

When you were in the religion how often did you have to do this? Also did you believe that God would destroy you if you didn't?

I only did it the once...

But unlike most people, I was kept away from a lot of the heavy indoctrination. It ruined my mum's childhood, she spent much of it in terror, but she felt compelled to at least introduce me to it, because of the fear of what would happen if she didn't.

Really its once you turn 18 and get baptised that it suddenly turns serious... From then on, if you don't live up to their requirements, you're blood guilty... Which means you, your children and grandchildren etc, will all be destroyed at Armageddon.

So anyone who is deemed blood guilty is shunned... They use the term "bad association".

Because I'd been sheltered from a lot of this stuff as a kid, I've only recently found it out.

They keep their members believing that Armageddon is due any day, and that they must try to "save" as many as possible before that... Or be destroyed themselves.

Or, to quote Seth Andrews...

"This, is, child-abuse."

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
23-08-2014, 12:39 AM
(22-08-2014 03:09 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(22-08-2014 02:55 PM)f stop Wrote:  JWs don't believe in blood transfusions. Some people need regular blood transfusions so, for them, becoming a JW would be suicide.

"Gimme a quarter" You haven't been to San Francisco have you?

I have not been to SF. At least not really. I passed it by as a child going to Disney Land.
On the streets of San Francisco panhandlers will accost you and say "Gimme a quarter". At least they do it near the tourist attractions. Maybe it's changed. The last time I was there was 1997.

And I guess that's not as funny as I thought it was.

Sapere aude
25-04-2015, 09:44 AM
A discussion with my Christian husband about the gun arguments on here led to a rare discussion about religion. Though we don't agree on faith we do agree that people have no business pushing their faith on others, nor do they have the right to judge others based on their beliefs. Was a good discussion - till someone knocked on the door and the dogs went nuts...I got up to get the door and told him if it was the JWs he would have to deal with them.

Well, it was the JWs, complete with a copy of the Watchtower. I returned their greeting and told them that my husband and I were just discussing religion...that he is Christian and I am atheist...I then pointed to the Watchtower and told them we aren't interested.

I do love the looks I get when they show up on Saturday mornings and I am in shorts and a Tshirt and all my tattoos are visible. Angel

I came in and told my husband that he had conjured up the JWs. He said he hates the door-to-door preachers.

So that's two visits in about a month...the magic has worn off my 'No Soliciting' sign. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
25-04-2015, 09:53 AM
(25-04-2015 09:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  So that's two visits in about a month...the magic has worn off my 'No Soliciting' sign. Dodgy

Maybe you could get the local priest to bless it? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-04-2015, 10:05 AM
(25-04-2015 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 09:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  So that's two visits in about a month...the magic has worn off my 'No Soliciting' sign. Dodgy

Maybe you could get the local priest to bless it? Consider

There's a small Catholic church right outside our subdivision. Maybe I should stop and ask. Girl_nails

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
25-04-2015, 12:50 PM
I'm always polite and friendly. My sister is a JW and used to do the door to door stuff and people were pretty darned rude at times. I don't think she does it anymore. Maybe because she's in the second half of her sixties.

But that also gives me an easy way out. The local JWs know my sister is a JW and has been for 30+ years. When they knock on the door, I remind them about my sister and explain (if necessary) that I've heard every argument they have and have no problem refuting them. They thank me, smile and leave.
25-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Re: JW's paid a visit yesterday
I have a friend who always tells them that if they can beat him on a video game, he'll listen to their message. He's had two different groups try.

The ones around here I've had contact with seem to be terrified of cats. A few wouldn't even get on my porch while the big cat was out.
25-04-2015, 06:31 PM
(21-08-2014 08:41 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Answering the door/gate naked might help discourage them from coming back. :yes:

That doesn't work. My brother and sister in law kids were at my moms so they thought they'd have some fun. Where they used to live u had to come right up to the house to see it. Let's just say that after watching my brother and sister in law have some fun and my sister in law saw them and screamed they knocked on the door!!!! Didn't scare then away at all. Lmao