Jack The Ripper identity confirmed?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Jack The Ripper identity confirmed?
It's all over the news but is it legit? A Shawl believed to be found at the crime scene of Catherine Eddowes, a Ripper victim was bought at an auction by a businessman and author named Russel Edwards. Mr. Edwards hired Dr. Jari Louhelainen, an Associate Professor of Biochemistry at University of Helsinki who holds a PhD in Molecular Epidemiology and a Masters of Science in Biochemistry to study DNA found on the shawl. Using DNA from descendants of the victim and the suspected killer, DNA matches show that DNA of a top suspect, Aaron Kosminkski was on the shawl. This sounds interesting but before I accept it, I'd like to see peer-reviewed evidence and more testing. It also just so happen that Mr. Edwards is writing a book on it. Not sure if this is just for fame or this could turn out to be a historic discovery.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/world...7050842205

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
RE: Jack The Ripper identity confirmed?
(07-09-2014 12:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's all over the news but is it legit? A Shawl believed to be found at the crime scene of Catherine Eddowes, a Ripper victim was bought at an auction by a businessman and author named Russel Edwards. Mr. Edwards hired Dr. Jari Louhelainen, an Associate Professor of Biochemistry at University of Helsinki who holds a PhD in Molecular Epidemiology and a Masters of Science in Biochemistry to study DNA found on the shawl. Using DNA from descendants of the victim and the suspected killer, DNA matches show that DNA of a top suspect, Aaron Kosminkski was on the shawl. This sounds interesting but before I accept it, I'd like to see peer-reviewed evidence and more testing. It also just so happen that Mr. Edwards is writing a book on it. Not sure if this is just for fame or this could turn out to be a historic discovery.

I was just reading the article. It only looks like its in a few newspapers in australia right now with no links to anything stronger.

It would be very cool to know that this is true. But I'm going to hold off being excited for now.
07-09-2014, 12:28 PM
(07-09-2014 12:18 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  It's all over the news but is it legit? A Shawl believed to be found at the crime scene of Catherine Eddowes, a Ripper victim was bought at an auction by a businessman and author named Russel Edwards. Mr. Edwards hired Dr. Jari Louhelainen, an Associate Professor of Biochemistry at University of Helsinki who holds a PhD in Molecular Epidemiology and a Masters of Science in Biochemistry to study DNA found on the shawl. Using DNA from descendants of the victim and the suspected killer, DNA matches show that DNA of a top suspect, Aaron Kosminkski was on the shawl. This sounds interesting but before I accept it, I'd like to see peer-reviewed evidence and more testing. It also just so happen that Mr. Edwards is writing a book on it. Not sure if this is just for fame or this could turn out to be a historic discovery.

I am going to wait for some confirmation beyond the daily mail. Besides this seems very, I dunno, woo-ish. How can that sample not be contaminated after all this time and the whole we gathered up descendants and tested them against the sample seems not very scientific.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-09-2014, 12:38 PM
(07-09-2014 12:24 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I was just reading the article. It only looks like its in a few newspapers in australia right now with no links to anything stronger.

It would be very cool to know that this is true. But I'm going to hold off being excited for now.

Yeah, there just isn't strong enough evidence to really confirm it. Just a couple people's word.

(07-09-2014 12:28 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I am going to wait for some confirmation beyond the daily mail. Besides this seems very, I dunno, woo-ish. How can that sample not be contaminated after all this time and the whole we gathered up descendants and tested them against the sample seems not very scientific.

It'd be cool if this discovery turns out legit. I was thinking the same thing, it's been a very long time since that murder took place, the evidence could have easily become contaminated since then. The fact that this guy just so happens to write a book about it make's me a bit skeptical too.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-09-2014, 12:42 PM
I used to read a lot of things about Jack the Ripper. I have a hard time believing it will ever be solved. I am going to hold out till more information is available.

Between the years that have gone by since the supposed DNA evidence ended up on that shawl and the chain of evidence issues...I need more info.

And, I kinda like it remaining a mystery.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Well that's a load off my mind. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
07-09-2014, 12:45 PM
(07-09-2014 12:44 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Well that's a load off my mind. Tongue

Laughat OMG - I'm crying.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-09-2014, 12:47 PM

Consider

07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
(07-09-2014 12:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  

Consider

I was just.... I don't really ever....it's funny because....never mind. Blush

It's pretty cool though. Yes

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-09-2014, 01:06 PM
(07-09-2014 12:52 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 12:47 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Consider

I was just.... I don't really ever....it's funny because....never mind. Blush

It's pretty cool though. Yes

You scare me Ohmy Laugh out load