Jail or Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2011, 02:23 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2011 03:49 AM by Thammuz.)
Jail or Jesus?
From HLN (Dutch)

Petty criminals in Alabama can now choose between 2 evils: go to jail or surrender to Jesus. The local pastors came up with the idea because according to them 'crime is caused by the neglect of family values and morality'.

The ACLU has already pointed out that this is completely unconstitutional, but to no avail. The program is up and running.

'Show me someone that has discovered the love of Jesus, and I'll show you someone who doesn't present a problem to society' a local pastor says.

So, what do you guys think of this? My eyes popped out of their sockets and the vein on my forehead snapped...

note: quotes are translated to the best of my abilities

edit: typo

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2011, 03:56 AM
RE: Jail or Jesus?
I'm actually speechless. Human stupidity has officially reached an even lower level.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-09-2011, 04:20 AM

Huh

Any criminal given this option will easily choose the non-incarcerated option. They only have to pretend to believe. This is absolutely absurd. I am shocked!
Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2011, 05:51 AM
God told me to steal.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-09-2011, 06:48 AM
This is great, I would be the first one to make use of this, I would start smoking weed in the middle of the street and when they take me to jail, I would ask the judge for this instead and then I would "accept" Jesus with no problems. This is great, let all the crazy criminals get even crazier and be wild Jesus fans! Hell Yeah!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
27-09-2011, 06:49 AM
They don't even have to pretend to believe. They only jve to attend Sunday services every Sunday for a year if I remember correctly.
And to be realistic I would be inclined to believe most of the petty criminals the world over are already Christians. I wonder if that pastor with the quote has ever actually seen the statistics on religions incarcerated within the united states. It would actually appear that Christ corrupts.
I know a lot of Christians too and back in my not such a great person days everyone I did those bad things with was a claimed Christian.
Ugh why can't someone in government use their brains just once?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-09-2011, 10:56 AM
In my home town a devout Christian who regularily attended services murdered a pastor's daughter a couple years ago. I'll tell you one thing, if I lived in that community I'd steer even further clear of that church!
27-09-2011, 11:06 AM
(27-09-2011 02:23 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  Petty criminals in Alabama can now choose between 2 evils: go to jail or surrender to Jesus. The local pastors came up with the idea because according to them 'crime is caused by the neglect of family values and morality'.

This is not only unconstitutional but it is absolutely unbiblical. Becoming a Christian requires an internal change in which a person changes his thinking so that he turns from his sins to become a follower of Christ. If people are offered the choice of going to jail or becoming a Christian many will make an outward profession of faith without experiencing the kind of change that brings true salvation. There are already too many hypocrites in the churches and this would only make things worse.

If I were a judge I would never give someone a lighter sentence because he made a profession of becoming a Christian. If his conversion is genuine spending time in jail won't affect it. In fact, the pressures he endures as a result of being in jail might even help him spiritually by forcing him to rely more on God than he would otherwise.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like theophilus's post
27-09-2011, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2011 11:14 AM by 17thknight.)
(27-09-2011 04:20 AM)Shane Wrote:  Huh

Any criminal given this option will easily choose the non-incarcerated option. They only have to pretend to believe. This is absolutely absurd. I am shocked!

Yeah, that's the real problem with a lot of these programs.

I understand the desire to reform, and I can find MANY instances (in the news, though many I've witnessed first-hand) of people converting from criminality to a good and productive life because of religion.

HOWEVER, the criminal justice system is as much punishment and protection as it is reform. You cannot guarantee me the offender will not offend again just because they go to church, that's absurd. Hell, many criminals are already religious. What if the criminal ALREADY goes to church, then what? Make him go twice a week? Hit him in the face with the Bible?

I don't mind the sentiment, I don't mind religion being used as a means of reforming criminals (especially since it can work), but this is not Justice.

I don't think many religious people would find this to be justice, either, so I'm dumbstruck at to how this has any kind of real support among the public.
(27-09-2011 06:49 AM)lucradis Wrote:  They don't even have to pretend to believe. They only jve to attend Sunday services every Sunday for a year if I remember correctly.

Well then what the hell is the point? They don't even have to demonstrate even a tiny measure of reform?
(27-09-2011 11:06 AM)theophilus Wrote:  This is not only unconstitutional but it is absolutely unbiblical. Becoming a Christian requires an internal change in which a person changes his thinking so that he turns from his sins to become a follower of Christ. If people are offered the choice of going to jail or becoming a Christian many will make an outward profession of faith without experiencing the kind of change that brings true salvation. There are already too many hypocrites in the churches and this would only make things worse.

You make a hoof point that others have too, "How can you expect this person to actually change given such an obvious choice?" And the obvious answer is that they won't. So now we have a person professing to be a Christian who is still just a criminal, and who has had an easy out from their punishment or real reform measures.

Hell, from a religious perspective you've done something even worse, because now you've created someone who is actively lying about their new faith simply so they can escape justice.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
28-09-2011, 12:50 AM
I wonder what would happen if one of these new christians would start living according to the laws of Leviticus... Big Grin

Would they get additional punishment or brownie points?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)