James, Jesus' brother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2015, 09:01 PM
RE: James, Jesus' brother
(19-05-2015 07:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 07:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  That's an error in the English translation of the word from the original Greek. Since I'm a student of Greek, at Chobani university, I use the correct spelling: "Typrho", instead.

Mmmmmm..... I'm no Greek scholar, when I put "Typrho" in Google nothing comes up.

When I put "Chobani University" in google, I only get hits for greek yogurt. Where is this place? Did Kent Hovind attend there?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
19-05-2015, 10:34 PM
(19-05-2015 09:01 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 07:19 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Mmmmmm..... I'm no Greek scholar, when I put "Typrho" in Google nothing comes up.

When I put "Chobani University" in google, I only get hits for greek yogurt. Where is this place? Did Kent Hovind attend there?

LOLFacepalm

"Chobani is the biggest Greek yogurt maker in America, with its home plant in South Edmeston, Chenango County and its headquarters in nearby New Berlin."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2015, 10:41 AM
(19-05-2015 10:34 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(19-05-2015 09:01 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  When I put "Chobani University" in google, I only get hits for greek yogurt. Where is this place? Did Kent Hovind attend there?

LOLFacepalm

"Chobani is the biggest Greek yogurt maker in America, with its home plant in South Edmeston, Chenango County and its headquarters in nearby New Berlin."

So his "studying greek" apparently are either making yogurt or getting it in the backside. Consider

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
20-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Quote:Justin Martyr,
Irenaeus,
Hippolytus, (d. 236 CE)
Tertullian,
Origen,
Epiphanius, (c. 310 – 403 CE, bishop of Salamis) and
Jerome
Eusebius ....

Mark, you don't have a single contemporary source. We all know that jesus freaks made up stories with fictional heros.... not the least of which was the godboy himself.
Why assume that this is anything but more of the same?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-05-2015, 01:48 PM
(20-05-2015 12:54 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Irenaeus,
Hippolytus, (d. 236 CE)
Tertullian,
Origen,
Jerome
Eusebius ....

Mark, you don't have a single contemporary source. We all know that jesus freaks made up stories with fictional heros.... not the least of which was the godboy himself.

Aside from Paul being an obvious contemporary source, how is it possible that you Jesus Mythicists either:

A: Deliberately refuse to reason that a mere man named Jesus of Nazareth had his life embellished by the early Christians due to your extreme bias against the Christian religion ...

or

B: Are quite possibly intellectually incapable of actually putting forth an argument against historicity without employing dozens of logical fallacies?

Jesus Mythicism is a fucking embarrassment to atheism. Atheists tend to pride themselves on the employment of proper reasoning and logic, and most atheists I know do exactly that.

But the atheists who support Jesus Mythicism rank as some of the most intellectually deprived people I have ever met, and are a total fuucking disgrace to logic and reasoning.

Get over it already, for fuck sakes.

Drinking Beverage

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
20-05-2015, 03:04 PM
I have a question for you Mark, I believe you suggested that James and the Nazarenes didn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God, if so why did Paul omit this fact, when speaking about his disputes with jewish Christian community?
20-05-2015, 03:16 PM
(20-05-2015 01:48 PM)Free Wrote:  But the atheists who support Jesus Mythicism rank as some of the most intellectually deprived people I have ever met, and are a total fuucking disgrace to logic and reasoning.

Get over it already, for fuck sakes.

Drinking Beverage
Garbage as usual from you free.
20-05-2015, 03:18 PM
(20-05-2015 03:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I have a question for you Mark, I believe you suggested that James and the Nazarenes didn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God, if so why did Paul omit this fact, when speaking about his disputes with jewish Christian community?
Mark will give the best answer to this but obviously it wouldn't help Saul's cause for him to admit that the people whom supposedly know Yeshua didn't think he was miraculous.
20-05-2015, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2015 06:28 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(20-05-2015 12:54 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Irenaeus,
Hippolytus, (d. 236 CE)
Tertullian,
Origen,
Jerome
Eusebius ....

James died in 62CE. We do have Josephus writing about him in the 70's or 80's (see post 48).

There is the mention of James in the gospel of Thomas (?maybe second century).

Also some authors, including Robert Eisenman, (who wrote a 1000 page tome about James) think that there are some writings from James in the dead sea scrolls.

Then there is the epistle of James in the bible, which admittedly may not have been written by "James," but it was obviously written by a Jew, not a Christian.

I admit that the other sources are not contemporary. Yet I'll make the point again that there was no evangelical need to admit the existence of James, so why would they fabricate his existence?

The book of Acts, probably written in the early second century, does mention James and does indirectly admit that James was in charge of the community of Jesus followers. The book attacks also mentions the Nazarenes, who it refers to as pests who stir up trouble.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2015, 03:41 PM
(20-05-2015 03:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 03:04 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I have a question for you Mark, I believe you suggested that James and the Nazarenes didn't believe that Jesus was the Son of God, if so why did Paul omit this fact, when speaking about his disputes with jewish Christian community?
Mark will give the best answer to this but obviously it wouldn't help Saul's cause for him to admit that the people whom supposedly know Yeshua didn't think he was miraculous.

Ah, so Paul thought he was the Son of God, miraculous as you put it, and just picked his battle here, thinking the question of circumcision was far more important here than the divinity of Jesus. Yea, that makes a lot of sense.