Jan. 2018 US Federal Government Shutdown

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2018, 04:16 PM
RE: Jan. 2018 US Federal Government Shutdown
(22-01-2018 12:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(22-01-2018 10:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Every time I hear the DACA people referred to as "illegal immigrants" I ask myself, "At what point do the babies/toddlers tell mom and dad 'OK, give me some money, I'm going home as I'm going to stop breaking the law, .... and be sure there's enough for a few diaper changes and formula". Facepalm

Technically, they're not immigrants at all (they were "Born in the USA"), so how can they be illegal immigrants?

Actually DACA doesn't concern people born in the U.S. to illegals, those people are already considered citizens. DACA is about the children brought across the border as their parents crossed illegally.

Death is a debt we all must pay...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2018, 04:23 PM
(20-01-2018 09:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I reply hope this comes back to bite the democrats in the ass in the midterms. The spending bill has NOTHING to do with immigration. To refuse to fund our military and the rest of the government just to protect illegal aliens is insanity. The democrats have shown their cards. They are the party of illegals over citizens. Democrats are against the military. Against the police. Against law and order.

Time to end the filibuster rule and move to a simple majority for all bills. It's the only way to do things now. Nothing will get done if the opposition party just votes no on everything. No paychecks for our military? They've lost their minds when non citizens are more important that real citizens. I hope they round them all up and send them back to the shitholes they came from.

African immigrants are more educated than you are.
The illegals in DACA came as infants and children.
You have no American values.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-01-2018, 04:39 PM
(22-01-2018 04:16 PM)Grim Wrote:  
(22-01-2018 12:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Technically, they're not immigrants at all (they were "Born in the USA"), so how can they be illegal immigrants?

Actually DACA doesn't concern people born in the U.S. to illegals, those people are already considered citizens. DACA is about the children brought across the border as their parents crossed illegally.

You are right. I stand corrected. It seems that we do indeed learn something new each day (even at the ripe old age of 62 -- who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?).

Tongue
22-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Good-ish news everyone, a temporary funding deal has been reached through February 8th, has been passed, and all it needs is Trump's signature!

Now for the bad news, Mitch McConnell and Trump are fucking liars who pulled a bait and switch to get it:
[Image: 0y4hiLA.png]

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2018, 07:23 AM
(20-01-2018 09:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I reply hope this comes back to bite the democrats in the ass in the midterms. The spending bill has NOTHING to do with immigration.

It might, but that's only because the result of the midterms has to do solely with perception. If the GOP can spin this and make enough of the electorate forget what happened, they can push this overly simplistic view, and you're right, the Dems might get punished.

Whether or not spending has anything to do with DACA is beside the point. The GOP made a promise back in 2017 to fix DACA and did nothing. The GOP controls all arms of the government, and they were unwilling to fix this. This is the only way the Dems can hold their feet to the fire and hold them to their promise.

And this should be an easy pitch, given that a super majority of Americans support DACA; it's just the assholes you vote for don't. The GOP does not represent the American people; it represents furthering their own power.

(20-01-2018 09:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Time to end the filibuster rule and move to a simple majority for all bills.

That's a terrible idea and you know it. Back, eight years ago, when McConnell was saying that the purpose of the Senate is to slow things down and not let the majority party force everything down the minority party's throats, I'm sure you agreed.

But it's not like Mitch McConnell has a shred of intellectual honesty, and you're obviously following suit. Luckily enough, McConnell isn't short-sighted enough to think that ending the filibuster is a good idea.

God, I can't believe I'm comparing McConnell favorably to someone who posts on this forum. Fuck.

(20-01-2018 09:19 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  It's the only way to do things now. Nothing will get done if the opposition party just votes no on everything. No paychecks for our military? They've lost their minds when non citizens are more important that real citizens.

The GOP votes no on everything for eight years, regardless of any attempts made by the Dems to compromise or bring them into discussion. The Dems vote no on everything for one year because the GOP shuts the doors and doesn't even include themselves in the discussion.

I can't tell if you vote the way you do because you have no shred of intellectual honesty, or if you're this dishonest because you vote the way you do. It's the most depressing chicken-and-the-egg question I've ever contemplated.

Sorry for the interruption. Go back to your simple "world view".
[+] 7 users Like RobbyPants's post
25-01-2018, 03:47 PM
Well. Guess the dems completely folded on the dreamers. Senator Dick Durbin said they will not be pursuing a DACA fix in the next spending bill and they will "try" to get something done separately.

Death is a debt we all must pay...
25-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Well, that didn't last long.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
25-01-2018, 04:58 PM
(25-01-2018 04:34 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Well, that didn't last long.

It was fun to sign my furlough notice 3 days after I was furloughed. It's always been fun for as long as I can remember now. ... And hey, at least I got to sign it digitally this time. Smile

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-01-2018, 05:17 PM
(25-01-2018 04:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(25-01-2018 04:34 PM)Dr H Wrote:  Well, that didn't last long.

It was fun to sign my furlough notice 3 days after I was furloughed. It's always been fun for as long as I can remember now. ... And hey, at least I got to sign it digitally this time. Smile

It used to be much more fun when they told us: "All of you military personnel are 'essential personnel' so you have to work, but we are just not going to pay you. And, oh, by the way, you will have to fill in for all of your DoD civilians, because they are being furloughed until there's a budget."

I used to have to give briefings to a couple of Congressional sub-committees or their tech staff. I once told a co-worker that I hated those briefings because I was worried about being charged with Contempt of Congress. When asked why I answered: "Because I harbor a great deal of contempt for Congress."

Drinking Beverage

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering." The (4th) Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
25-01-2018, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2018 05:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-01-2018 05:17 PM)Rockblossom Wrote:  I used to have to give briefings to a couple of Congressional sub-committees or their tech staff. I once told a co-worker that I hated those briefings because I was worried about being charged with Contempt of Congress. When asked why I answered: "Because I harbor a great deal of contempt for Congress."

Drinking Beverage

bwahahahhaha Big Grin

#sigh