Jane Austen?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2017, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2017 10:51 AM by Mr. Boston.)
RE: Jane Austen?
(21-06-2017 10:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Did Twain say why he hated her writing so much? I'd love to know. My understanding is that some of today's English grammer rules come from Jane Austen's novels. ( I read that somewhere but don't recall exactly where) Maybe that's why Mark Twain disliked her writing. He wasn't much on paying attention to correct English grammer.

There was another quote of his about her that I'm too lazy to dig back up now, something about how he felt it was her goal to make you hate her characters until the middle of the book, then make you like them every other chapter after that, lol.

I've never been one for her books, I read Pride & Prejudice and Emma and that was enough. I DO think they paint an interesting portrait of the social order of the day, but I prefer Dickens when it comes to a slice of English socioeconomics.

One thing I do remember really enjoying about her books though was that she would use parenthetical phrases [] to insert a character's genuine thoughts in the middle of dialog, illustrating what people were really thinking while they were saying something a lot more diplomatic. I thought that was a very interesting device; I'm sure others have done it but that was the first time I remember noticing it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2017, 10:50 AM
(21-06-2017 10:35 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(21-06-2017 09:41 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I think Mark Twain said it best:

I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone.
- Letter to Joseph Twichell, 13 September 1898

Laugh out load Did Twain say why he hated her writing so much? I'd love to know. My understanding is that some of today's English grammer rules come from Jane Austen's novels. ( I read that somewhere but don't recall exactly where) Maybe that's why Mark Twain disliked her writing. He wasn't much on paying attention to correct English grammer.

No, I think he found her writing vapid and women who read her books inanely silly.

Of course Mary Louise Alcott found Twain's writing to be profane.

So there's that.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-06-2017, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2017 10:56 AM by Mr. Boston.)
(21-06-2017 10:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Of course Mary Louise Alcott found Twain's writing to be profane.

So there's that.

It IS profane, and often times coarse, bordering on vulgar. Which are its best attributes if you ask me!
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
21-06-2017, 11:12 AM
(21-06-2017 10:52 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(21-06-2017 10:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Of course Mary Louise Alcott found Twain's writing to be profane.

So there's that.

It IS profane, and often times coarse, bordering on vulgar. Which are its best attributes if you ask me!

I guess it's no surprise that I'm not a fan of his, then. Laugh out load

I don't mind some profanity, but I never really liked his writing.
21-06-2017, 11:16 AM
(21-06-2017 10:52 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  

So there's that.

I know, he wrote honestly. Some have issues with truth.

21-06-2017, 11:27 AM
(21-06-2017 11:12 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(21-06-2017 10:52 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  It IS profane, and often times coarse, bordering on vulgar. Which are its best attributes if you ask me!

I guess it's no surprise that I'm not a fan of his, then. Laugh out load

I don't mind some profanity, but I never really liked his writing.

I think I liked him best when he broke down human nature -- which was often.

When, as a kid, girls were told to read "Little Women" but the boys got to read "Huckleberry Finn" I remember I read both.

I cried at times reading Huck Finn. I saw very clearly the ideals I was raised with in direct conflict with what my conscious was telling me.

21-06-2017, 11:48 AM
God, Little Women, dumbest, annoyingest, self-righteousest, preachiest shit I've ever read in my life. Ditto for the characters, wanted to punch each and every one. Multiple times. [Image: pukingemoticon.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
21-06-2017, 11:52 AM
(21-06-2017 11:48 AM)Vera Wrote:  God, Little Women, dumbest, annoyingest, self-righteousest, preachiest shit I've ever read in my life. Ditto for the characters, wanted to punch each and every one. Multiple times. [Image: pukingemoticon.gif]

It was bad...as a kid and having to read it...it was ok...but yeah.

What's really weird...I was attending a baptist school at the time.

It still leaves me scratching my head ...

They could have said, boys read treasure island.

21-06-2017, 11:53 AM
I thought Jane was the Bionic Man's wife. Me so disappoint! Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
21-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Austen's from the generation before Twain, and it's not surprising that he doesn't appreciate her (pretty common for the next gens to diss the one immediately preceding). Twain has company. Edmund Crispin, for example, calls Austen heroines "vulgar little man-hunting minxes," and Charlotte Bronte and Virginia Woolf are also among her detractors.

However, it's easy for me to love both Austen and Twain. She works in miniatures while he works in landscapes.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post