"Jane, you ignorant slut!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 01:25 PM
"Jane, you ignorant slut!"
Jane usually began her reply with "Dan [Aykroyd], you pompous ass..."

AGAIN today on threads (yawn!) I was told I was ignorant and "to take a community course in logic", etc.

My observation is that I've now been told several hundred times by "the gang" that I'm stupid and ignorant and would understand the skeptic's perspective best if I came into the light of [modern] knowledge. Yet not one time have any of you said "PJ, you'd really understand why your X is wrong and my Y is right if you were more loving... more gentle... more compassionate..."

My $0.02. Flame retardant gear now worn.

"But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere." - James 3:17
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2013, 01:33 PM
RE: "Jane, you ignorant slut!"
For atheists, being loving, gentle, and compassionate doesn't have anything to do with whether x or y is correct. Atheists are loving, gentle, and compassionate because they choose to be. Not because they are bullied into it by threats of hell and bribes of heaven. Same goes for atheists who are assholes.

I'm not saying my reason for being a good person is better than yours. I'm just trying to point out that it's different. I guess what I'm saying is, your understanding hasn't anything to do with how nice you are, and everything to do with your knowledge.

Make sense?

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 12 users Like Stark Raving's post
24-09-2013, 01:36 PM
(24-09-2013 01:25 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jane usually began her reply with "Dan [Aykroyd], you pompous ass..."

AGAIN today on threads (yawn!) I was told I was ignorant and "to take a community course in logic", etc.

My observation is that I've now been told several hundred times by "the gang" that I'm stupid and ignorant and would understand the skeptic's perspective best if I came into the light of [modern] knowledge. Yet not one time have any of you said "PJ, you'd really understand why your X is wrong and my Y is right if you were more loving... more gentle... more compassionate..."

"But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere." - James 3:17

If you were more loving and gentle maybe you would realise that by obtaining modern knowledge you will gain.... knowledge, thus being in a better position to understand "our"/any perspective. Also if you were more compassionate, maybe you would be able to understand that love, gentleness and compassion has zero influence on the validity of a statement.

Better?

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you
do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours.
[+] 4 users Like Jakel's post
24-09-2013, 01:37 PM
(24-09-2013 01:25 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Jane usually began her reply with "Dan [Aykroyd], you pompous ass..."

If you don't like it around here c'mon I'll show you the way out.

No one forced you to come here and no one is begging you to stay.
You are free to go...please do.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
24-09-2013, 01:40 PM
(24-09-2013 01:37 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

If you don't like it around here c'mon I'll show you the way out.

No one forced you to come here and no one is begging you to stay.
You are free to go...please do.

Very compassionately said. I'm loving it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Being ignorant isn't an insult, staying that way is.

Also maybe being honest and saying it's an irrational belief that you intend to hold on to would be more honest.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 5 users Like fstratzero's post
24-09-2013, 01:46 PM
If you were more compassionate you probably won't be so defensive or so aggressive towards other people ideas, and maybe, just maybe, your neurons would bump to each other. Empathy can be a way to communication, but only leads indirectly (and not necessarily) to knowledge, that's why nobody said such things to you.

Also, wisdom is not the same as knowledge, it is based on it though.

But alas, you don't care.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
24-09-2013, 02:09 PM

I'm not sure this has as much to do with the topics of discussion, as it does the nature of internet forums (fora?). Perfectly reasonable, generous, thoughtful people IRL can say the most hurtful things online.

A 'net discussion board is just not the right place to seek out kind compassion. Just like one shouldn't go to a garage for relationship advice, a sports bar for flower arrangements, and so on. Conversational text is harsh.

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
24-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I came in here for sluts, and I don't see any Angry

Let down by Jesus...again. Weeping

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 12 users Like Slowminded's post
24-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Quote:AGAIN today on threads (yawn!) I was told I was ignorant and "to take a community course in logic", etc.

As a relative newcomer I don't think we've ever met but if you believe in talking snakes and world-covering floods then I would say the advice is well warranted.
[+] 9 users Like Minimalist's post