Japan - 15 killed in knife attack

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: Japan - 15 killed in knife attack
(26-07-2016 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 10:29 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  To be fair, this is not really a derail. The thread was started by someone who is extremely pro-gun, and probably for the purpose of supporting his side of that debate. Because whenever there's a mass shooting, the anti-gun crowd says "You never see this kind of thing with knives" -- and guess what -- now you do see exactly that. I think this is very relevant to the whole gun/anti-gun debate, and that's the reason why the thread exists.

There is nothing in the OP that suggest that this was his intention, and even if it was , just replace the " another thread " with "another world event" in my post and it still is the same.
The fact that there is always so many people ready to take the bait and jump on it is the problem.
If we had the president of the NRA and the Michael fakn Moore here they would be sick and tired from all the debating on the subject by now.

And it's not like any new arguments are being brought to the table, it's the same people repeating themselves over and over and over again.

And yet some might say that your criticism is unwarranted given that I have never seen LDH even come close to saying something like this before:
"If that is indeed your point, then I concede. You made it sound as if you believe that it could never or has never happened. A good guy with a gun has a very small chance of stopping a mass shooting, for the simple fact that mass shootings generally occur where a good guy with a gun is unlikely to be or the shooter is out of reach. "

Ergo, similar arguments might be getting presented, but that does NOT mean it is pointless to do so. Some people actually appear to be enjoying the conversation/discussion.

Edit to add: If you don't like the conversation or its direction, then don't engage in it. Sticking in and criticizing it just makes you look like a holier-than-art-thou dick.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2016, 11:06 AM
(26-07-2016 10:21 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Now you see why "mass shootings" are not routinely stopped by people like me with concealed carry permits.

What type of gun training have you had?

Do you have any of the experience I talked about in my earlier post?

Any kind of combat training, combat experience or police training?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
26-07-2016, 11:13 AM
(26-07-2016 11:06 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 10:21 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Now you see why "mass shootings" are not routinely stopped by people like me with concealed carry permits.

What type of gun training have you had?

Personally yes. Former military police, former sheriff's deputy. Retired last month after a few years working the armory at a police station. I feel prepared in most situations. I'm very aware of my surroundings. I know where you're going with this, and all I can say to that is I hope that anyone with a concealed carry permit trains well, regularly (wishful thinking I know). But the way I look at it is, these mass shooting fucks rarely have combat training, and are usually pretty new with firearms. They probably train less than the average concealed carry guy.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
26-07-2016, 11:13 AM
(26-07-2016 10:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  There is nothing in the OP that suggest that this was his intention, and even if it was , just replace the " another thread " with "another world event" in my post and it still is the same.
The fact that there is always so many people ready to take the bait and jump on it is the problem.
If we had the president of the NRA and the Michael fakn Moore here they would be sick and tired from all the debating on the subject by now.

And it's not like any new arguments are being brought to the table, it's the same people repeating themselves over and over and over again.

And yet some might say that your criticism is unwarranted given that I have never seen LDH even come close to saying something like this before:
"If that is indeed your point, then I concede. You made it sound as if you believe that it could never or has never happened. A good guy with a gun has a very small chance of stopping a mass shooting, for the simple fact that mass shootings generally occur where a good guy with a gun is unlikely to be or the shooter is out of reach. "

Ergo, similar arguments might be getting presented, but that does NOT mean it is pointless to do so. Some people actually appear to be enjoying the conversation/discussion.

Edit to add: If you don't like the conversation or its direction, then don't engage in it. Sticking in and criticizing it just makes you look like a holier-than-art-thou dick.

If you don't like my criticism or think it out of place don't respond to it.

Suggesting that I'm out of line for criticizing the hijacking of yet another thread , while holding that you are perfectly in line for hijacking it makes you look like a dick, not holier-than-art-thou dick, just plane dick.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
26-07-2016, 11:20 AM
(26-07-2016 11:13 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 10:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And yet some might say that your criticism is unwarranted given that I have never seen LDH even come close to saying something like this before:

If you don't like my criticism or think it out of place don't respond to it.

Suggesting that I'm out of line for criticizing the hijacking of yet another thread , while holding that you are perfectly in line for hijacking it makes you look like a dick, not holier-than-art-thou dick, just plane dick.

Said the hypocrite hijacking the thread.

"If you don't like my criticism or think it out of place don't respond to it."

I don't mind conversations evolving within threads, I'm just pointing out the error in your criticism and the way you're projecting yourself as some sort of arbiter of thread topics (which necessarily places you in a hypocritical position since you are not discussing the OP or engaging in the conversation that emanated from it, but are instead trying to start a conversation about a conversation within a thread).

"Suggesting that I'm out of line for criticizing the hijacking of yet another thread , while holding that you are perfectly in line for hijacking it makes you look like a dick, not holier-than-art-thou dick, just plane dick."

I was simply pointing out your arrogant approach to criticizing a conversation you didn't want to be involved in (but apparently want to converse about the conversation). If that makes me a plain-ol dick, then whatever, dick.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
26-07-2016, 11:24 AM
(26-07-2016 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 10:29 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  To be fair, this is not really a derail. The thread was started by someone who is extremely pro-gun, and probably for the purpose of supporting his side of that debate. Because whenever there's a mass shooting, the anti-gun crowd says "You never see this kind of thing with knives" -- and guess what -- now you do see exactly that. I think this is very relevant to the whole gun/anti-gun debate, and that's the reason why the thread exists.

There is nothing in the OP that suggest that this was his intention, and even if it was , just replace the " another thread " with "another world event" in my post and it still is the same.

If you're at all familiar with Lord Dark Helmet, though, you had to know where the thread was headed. He posts almost exclusively about guns.

Anyway, I find the topic (and its relation to the gun debate) quite interesting. A mass killing carried out with a knife is a new data point that needs to be acknowledged and dealt with by both sides of the debate.
26-07-2016, 11:33 AM
(26-07-2016 11:13 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 11:06 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  What type of gun training have you had?

Personally yes. Former military police, former sheriff's deputy. Retired last month after a few years working the armory at a police station. I feel prepared in most situations. I'm very aware of my surroundings. I know where you're going with this, and all I can say to that is I hope that anyone with a concealed carry permit trains well, regularly (wishful thinking I know). But the way I look at it is, these mass shooting fucks rarely have combat training, and are usually pretty new with firearms. They probably train less than the average concealed carry guy.

If you know where I'm going, then you know it's a valid point. With your training you would have a better chance then many gun owners. But you would be the exception rather than the rule.

Training is not a requirement for gun ownership. Some gun owners do not have any training or practice. And I'm talking basic gun use, gun safety training, target practice, etc. None of that will help in a mass shooting. Intervention in that scenario requires specialized paramilitary training.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
26-07-2016, 11:41 AM
(26-07-2016 11:24 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(26-07-2016 10:47 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  There is nothing in the OP that suggest that this was his intention, and even if it was , just replace the " another thread " with "another world event" in my post and it still is the same.

If you're at all familiar with Lord Dark Helmet, though, you had to know where the thread was headed. He posts almost exclusively about guns.

Anyway, I find the topic (and its relation to the gun debate) quite interesting. A mass killing carried out with a knife is a new data point that needs to be acknowledged and dealt with by both sides of the debate.

I suspect that you're going to see an uptick in knife and other "blunt force trauma" attacks.....

Why????

ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN, Youtube ect, ect, ect -----

The biggest commonality of these cocksuckers who go on killing sprees -- is they want to be on TV.... For the "fame", "Glory" - or to promote whatever cause or religion they've got stuck up their ass............

This shit will not stop.

It'll keep going on -- with knives, guns, hammers, chainsaws, cars, trucks and airplanes --- until the press quits putting these people on the air, in print, or on the internet............

Simply refer to them as "the fucking asshole who killed some people", don't ever put their names or likeness out for the world to see -- and if they're captured --- destroy the fuckers -- or put them into a deep dark hole somewhere - where they never again see the light of day -- and we don't have to look at them.....

The best way to get this - without infringing on the 1st Amendment (USA) -- is to DEMAND it of news media...... Boycott those outlets that pander to these jackals that prey on society for "their 15 minutes of fame".....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Good job he didn't have a gun otherwise the death toll would have been far greater (fact)
26-07-2016, 11:51 AM
(26-07-2016 11:49 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Good job he didn't have a gun otherwise the death toll would have been far greater (fact)

He'd have gotten more with a truck......

(PROVEN fact)

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.