Japan's practical religiosty?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Japan's practical religiosty?
My mother is well educated (Bachelors & Masters degrees in Social Sciences), & has been living in Japan for the last few years. I was very happy to be at the airport yesterday, picking her up for a visit she's making to aid my sister in wedding dress shopping. During the drive home (almost a 2 hour drive), she restated how much, she thinks, I would like, fit in, & so on in Japan. As part of the discussion we ended up briefly getting into the role of "religion" in Japan. She cites the general practicality sought by Japanese culture as a reason for Japan's view of "religion as a function."

My mother gave the example of, "When bad things happen, they feel comforted by Buddhist influences. When it's time to recognize something good, they go to Shinto shrines."

I've only just started reading on the subject, as I still have a lot of books to read on primary interests. Can anyone here shed more light on this subject? If this holds true, as some preliminary reading so far suggests: do you think this could be a viable, & positive, future option for the existence of religious thought in countries that currently have it in abundance?

I'm inclined to answer that in the negative, but admit my lack of knowledge on this topic nullifies my feelings on it. I don't view any supernatural ideas as comforting in the presence of real emotional experience; whether it be joy, anger, apathy, sadness, or any of the myriad of emotions- separate or in combination.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2015, 11:57 AM
RE: Japan's practical religiosty?
A leaf from the Book of Natural Selection: Can't kill it? Domesticate it.

Undecided

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-07-2015, 01:32 PM
Their structure is more unique than a way of how the future could be for more religions across the world. It's not greatly a comparable situation with the monotheistic religions of the west.

The Buddhism is almost more of a philosophical approach by many and the type of guiding principals of how they should exist with day to day silliness.

Then the Shinto views by many aren't taken as something serious, but a lot of people still go about the ritual nature of it. Their rituals are of going to the shrines or in some seasonal cultural ceremonies. The whole concept is far more animistic and nature based that I don't think that type of honorence fits in anyway with the omnipotent deity view.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
15-07-2015, 03:23 PM
(15-07-2015 10:34 AM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  My mother is well educated (Bachelors & Masters degrees in Social Sciences), & has been living in Japan for the last few years. I was very happy to be at the airport yesterday, picking her up for a visit she's making to aid my sister in wedding dress shopping. During the drive home (almost a 2 hour drive), she restated how much, she thinks, I would like, fit in, & so on in Japan. As part of the discussion we ended up briefly getting into the role of "religion" in Japan. She cites the general practicality sought by Japanese culture as a reason for Japan's view of "religion as a function."

My mother gave the example of, "When bad things happen, they feel comforted by Buddhist influences. When it's time to recognize something good, they go to Shinto shrines."

I've only just started reading on the subject, as I still have a lot of books to read on primary interests. Can anyone here shed more light on this subject? If this holds true, as some preliminary reading so far suggests: do you think this could be a viable, & positive, future option for the existence of religious thought in countries that currently have it in abundance?

I'm inclined to answer that in the negative, but admit my lack of knowledge on this topic nullifies my feelings on it. I don't view any supernatural ideas as comforting in the presence of real emotional experience; whether it be joy, anger, apathy, sadness, or any of the myriad of emotions- separate or in combination.

More than likely, America will have a fading Christianity slowly replaced by lack of belief or complete apathy towards it, much like the path Britain has been on.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-07-2015, 09:15 PM
(15-07-2015 01:32 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Their structure is more unique than a way of how the future could be for more religions across the world. It's not greatly a comparable situation with the monotheistic religions of the west.

The Buddhism is almost more of a philosophical approach by many and the type of guiding principals of how they should exist with day to day silliness.

Then the Shinto views by many aren't taken as something serious, but a lot of people still go about the ritual nature of it. Their rituals are of going to the shrines or in some seasonal cultural ceremonies. The whole concept is far more animistic and nature based that I don't think that type of honorence fits in anyway with the omnipotent deity view.

Great last point. Thank you.

Shinto, & the Japanese overall physical practice of it, are tidbits I've picked up on; it's been educational, & fun, to have my smart mother living there, conveying different experiences.