Jeffrey Lang - From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
23-08-2014, 06:02 AM
RE: Jeffrey Lang - From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam
(23-08-2014 01:15 AM)Shamma Wrote:  Jeffrey Lang - From Atheism to Belief: A Journey to Islam

Enjoy Heart

[Image: f6685deb_50c.gif?w=614]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-08-2014, 01:32 AM
(23-08-2014 01:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, Scamma.

It is not usual to permit links to stuff on one's first post but given that this will likely be your only post (unless you come back next year to see how many of us have magically converted) and the link in question will provide some laughs, we'll make an exception this time.

Enjoy your time here.

Rolleyes

What if I'm trying to convert you?! Did I kill anyone?! Why do you hate this so much..

a person who shares his belief and knowledge .. with you..!!

Why are you so insecure !! You have your own mind .." me posting a link to a lecture" is not like beating you to death in order to be a muslim!?! Big Grin

You can always think and refuse Sleepy

I read many atheist posts and still a muslim Sleepy .. I don't like to shut my minds just because I'm afraid that someone would convert me Bowing

Always keep my mind open to new ideas and knowledge even if it was coming from the enemy !!

Thanks for welcoming me Big Grin
24-08-2014, 01:39 AM
(23-08-2014 01:31 AM)Logisch Wrote:  

It is not usual to permit links to stuff on one's first post but given that this will likely be your only post (unless you come back next year to see how many of us have magically converted) and the link in question will provide some laughs, we'll make an exception this time.

Enjoy your time here.

Rolleyes

Drive by theist, probably likely they'll never post again and this thread will end up with 20 pages of replies with not one single other post from the OP. Not interested in discussion, not interested in actual debate, just post a youtube video full of crap they bought into and will ignore any replies. Does that make me a pessimist?

Did you even look at it?! Sleepy

Is that logic and freeing your mind .. being smart?!

At least look at the video before making any assumptions.. That's what educated people do.

The video is about the story of dr. Jeffery Lang who is a mathematics professor .. He was an atheist and became a muslim just by reading the Quran.. He has some great thoughts !!
24-08-2014, 01:47 AM
(24-08-2014 01:39 AM)Shamma Wrote:  The video is about the story of dr. Jeffery Lang who is a mathematics professor .. He was an atheist and became a muslim just by reading the Quran.. He has some great thoughts !!

And I know Muslims who have become atheists. Your point?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
24-08-2014, 01:52 AM
(24-08-2014 01:32 AM)Shamma Wrote:  

Enjoy your time here.

Rolleyes

What if I'm trying to convert you?! Did I kill anyone?! Why do you hate this so much..

a person who shares his belief and knowledge .. with you..!!

Why are you so insecure !! You have your own mind .." me posting a link to a lecture" is not like beating you to death in order to be a muslim!?! Big Grin

You can always think and refuse Sleepy

I read many atheist posts and still a muslim Sleepy .. I don't like to shut my minds just because I'm afraid that someone would convert me Bowing

Always keep my mind open to new ideas and knowledge even if it was coming from the enemy !!

Thanks for welcoming me Big Grin

Minds? Blink Umm...how many minds do you have? And what if only one of them is changed?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
24-08-2014, 02:30 AM
(24-08-2014 01:39 AM)Shamma Wrote:  The video is about the story of dr. Jeffery Lang who is a mathematics professor .. He was an atheist and became a muslim just by reading the Quran.. He has some great thoughts !!

Did he do historical research into the Quran?

Did he study the archaeological evidence (and lack thereof) for the claims of your religion?

Does he believe because he found compelling evidence, or is he nothing more than another credulous fool that believes things on feels?

We don't care what he believes, we care WHY he believes it; and unsubstantiated personal feeling are not at all compelling. We demand evidence, not faith. Until you can provide that, I don't give a flying fuck how many degrees he has or how great you think his 'thoughts' are; because if he is believing things on feelings and not evidence, then he has already divorced himself from reason.

[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-08-2014, 03:57 AM
Welp. I'm convinced. Shamma has shown me the way!

I wanna get fucked by Shamma so badly because I know they are the best genetic stock right now.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 1 user Likes DemonicLemon's post
24-08-2014, 04:05 AM
(24-08-2014 03:57 AM)DemonicLemon Wrote:  Welp. I'm convinced. Shamma has shown me the way!

I wanna get fucked by Shamma so badly because I know they are the best genetic stock right now.

Don't forget your care package!

[Image: ky-intense.jpg]

(I am now officially declaring myself to be DemonicLemon's platonic wingmate. Tongue )

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-08-2014, 04:26 AM
Educated people consider the arguments presented to them. Your argument seems to be "Someone really smart became a Muslim, you should too". Why don't you start by explaining why it is worth the time for me to watch your video? What are the key points that convinced this guy and you think would be convincing to me?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
24-08-2014, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2014 04:53 AM by Baruch.)
(24-08-2014 01:39 AM)Shamma Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 01:31 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Drive by theist, probably likely they'll never post again and this thread will end up with 20 pages of replies with not one single other post from the OP. Not interested in discussion, not interested in actual debate, just post a youtube video full of crap they bought into and will ignore any replies. Does that make me a pessimist?

Did you even look at it?! Sleepy

Is that logic and freeing your mind .. being smart?!

At least look at the video before making any assumptions.. That's what educated people do.

The video is about the story of dr. Jeffery Lang who is a mathematics professor .. He was an atheist and became a muslim just by reading the Quran.. He has some great thoughts !!

I have read the Quran & just to check have a father who understands fluent arabic & had to learn Quran in school who helped read it in its own language - and now an even more convinced atheist - So ?

What is required is understanding critical thinking skills - I am happy to go through all the QUran's alleged miracles and show the fallacies.
If your open minded and want to engage in a critical discussion of the Quran I'm happy to help.

Your video doesnt really prove much - yes some intelligent people can convert & not every convert is some ignorant fool - we know this.

I personally know a professor of Philosophy from John Hopkins university (specializing in mathematics) who is an ultra orthodox Jew & leading educator in a religious seminary - he is very intelligent and I have debated him on numerous occasions. He also "converted" from being secular to orthodox.
Infact this is his website:
http://www.dovidgottlieb.com/
I have had debates with him on complex theological areas not necessarily unique to Judaism but shared with Islamic theology.
...again the fact he is a professor of philosophy, well educated & understands Godel's incompleteness theorem doesnt mean that somehow just telling his story is going to convince someone to be an orthodox Jew (or Muslim in your case)

I could tell you to "go and listen to 100hours of his lectures" and you might convert. This is true because I DID THIS some 15 years ago and had by own secular to orthodox conversion to Judaism. Considering about 50% of the orthodox material is compatible with Islamic theology I am sure there are similar Islamic versions of some intelligent philosophers or mathematicians who converted from a secular life such as in your video. (many of the central philosophical fundamentals in Islam are similar if not identical to Judaism - not surprising since Mohammed plagiarized, copied or just thought they were good ideas for his new religion)

....and I'll be honest, I was actually happy & fulfilled as an orthodox Jew for 10yrs or so compared to some of the problems that exist within secular life such as addictions to sex, alcohol, drugs and often meaningless drifting & lack of purpose in life. - For some people I still think religion (in some forms of "Modern orthodox or reformed Judaism" or "reformed liberal CHristianity" ) is actually beneficial for some of its disciplines if they do not have a reasonable/rational secular philosophy to guide them.

However - I de-converted.
There are plenty of professors of philosophy or Mathematics who are highly intelligent and have converted/De-converted to being atheists (I being one of them- although not a professor of mathematics but still have degrees in sciences & deep interest in philosophy)

On a side point: I said I thought that for some people religion is beneficial and think this is a good guide for them if they dont have a rational/reasonable secular philosophy. Eg such as reformed/modern orthodox Judaism or liberal Christianity might be good for some people for living a fulfilled life.

One view is that these modern versions, and there are some Islamic versions too have incorporated secular philosophies with a dose of skepticism making them deviate from their original religious system/scripture/literalism. I don't mind when this occurs and it is clear that the modern versions for example disregard scriptural passages endorsing slavery. - However the religious orthodox traditionalists with scream heresy in such cases and this is a SEVERE problem in Islam and the Salafi traditions.

It is EXTREMELY dangerous to allow "Moderate Islam" to grow and have a strong political force even if democratic because with it there is automatic endorsement/legitimacy for the fundamentalists such as the salafi's, ISIS, AL-Queda's, Hamas, Islamic Jihads,BukuHarams etc.You cannot have "Just moderates" in Islam because on the "conservative right" of the political landscape the more moderates you have the more fundamentalists are justified - and the fundamentalists can easily convert moderates who will be told their Islam is diluted & heretical "mixed" with western values. Read Temptations of Power: Islamists & Illiberal Democracy in a New Middle East Written by: Shadi Hamid for more insights.

I actually agree with this assessment because I am aware how the reformed religious are made to feel guilty as if they are all deviants and heretical because "outside philosophies" have been mixed with the orthodox scripture.

In Islam this is definitely prevalent since Al_Ghazali[Abū Ḥāmid Muḥammad ibn Muḥammad al-Ghazālī] c. 1058–1111 shut down philosophical exploration of Islam and effectively turned Islam into a much more literalistic system - and anyone who studies the philosophies is essentially a heretic - He went to war with Avicenna & Al-Farabi (amongst others who learned Aristotle, Plato & "the philosophies") and whilst he did not physically kill them he did intellectual Jihad. Since then the Islamic "Golden Era" collapsed and the Islamic world become Primitive !!!
Those "muslims" (or arabs,persians,armenians etc) who did study the Greek Philosophies helped translate them and bring them to the west and set off the enlightenment and destruction of Christendom. However Al-Ghazali's legacy never brought the enlightenment to the Islamic world - leaving it in the dark ages it is in today.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
[+] 7 users Like Baruch's post