Jehovah Witnesses - Watchtower at my door

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2017, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 12:59 PM by Rahn127.)
Jehovah Witnesses - Watchtower at my door
I heard this light knock at my door, pulled out a knife and slowly opened the door. It was a Saturday morning and I had only a couple hours of sleep under my belt. I might have stabbed girl scouts selling cookies at this point, but as luck would have it, they were Jehovah Witnesses.

Older man, older woman, both a little older than me, but not by much. My mind said to me "Let's have some fun with these two."

He starts out quoting Luke saying "And Jesus said..."
I interrupted right there "Let's start with Luke. Who wrote those words ? In fact, let's include Matthew, Mark & John. Who wrote those books ?"

The woman pipes in "They were written by Matthew, Mark, Luke & John"
I replied "Nope. They were attributed to those four names but the original authors are anonymous. Do some research and any biblical scholar will tell you the same thing."

She replies "I've never heard that before."
The man was silent on this revelation.

I say "You believe in a god, correct ?"
They say yes in what would have been a 5 minute reply about the bible, if I let them blather on.
I interrupted every moment they began talking to question why they believed the things they believed.

I said "Do you believe based on faith alone ?"
She replied "Yes"
I said "And what about the religious convictions of those who believe things differently from you that are also based on faith. Faith isn't a pathway to truth when two opposing viewpoints use faith as a guide. You can be right, they can be right or you both can be wrong."

The gentleman piped in "True, those are the only options"
He then jumped to evolution and started talking about kinds and how evolution has never found any transitions in the fossil record.

I jumped in and started talking about egg & sperm, a baby's first heartbeat, a child's birth, a toddler, a teenager, our 20's 40's elderly years. Small changes over time can take a simple cell into an elderly person. Each day you don't notice much of a change, but over time, those small changes move a child into an adult. The same with evolution but it takes millions of years. You should look up whale evolution. They started on land and slowly over time adapted to the water, but they are still mammals, just like us. They have their young in the same way. They breathe like we do."

The woman chimes in "I've never heard that before, not in any of my years of school."

Me - "And there is the problem. I've told you both several things that you've never heard before. Please, go do some actual research and question why you believe the things you believe."

Woman -"I think we've taken up enough of your time. We have people waiting on us."
Me - "OK, good talking to you. Be well."

I think the last two words were really a hope for their own mental health.
"Be well. Hope you get the help you need" was the intended message.

Once again, thanks to everyone here for helping me have a much stronger & knowledgeable backbone.

I only listed a few bits of this 20 minute long conversation. I did interrupt them every chance I got.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 15 users Like Rahn127's post
11-02-2017, 01:32 PM
RE: Jehovah Witnesses - Watchtower at my door
I like JDubs.

They don't vote. They don't fight in wars. They don't breed that much. They don't believe in hell or scarring the shit out of people. They're not racist. They have a cool vision of peace on earth. They also don't do Christmas and I hate that shit.

I know they have some shitty downsides like homophobia but as far as weirdo religions go they're alright.

I'd be nice to them but no one goes door to door in my neighborhood.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
11-02-2017, 02:06 PM
I'h have asked them why their leaders won't release the results of the pedophile investigations, and what they are afraid of ?

http://www.revealnews.org/article/how-je...all-costs/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
11-02-2017, 02:23 PM
What a terrible dark stain.

They're all so shitty. There I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.
11-02-2017, 06:52 PM
I had my own encounter recently with them. I've realized that no one who is a thinker will end up a member of that cult or any other. They are drones, that's all, reading from a script. Next time they come I'm going to send them to get their very best, most astute person from their cult house.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
11-02-2017, 06:54 PM
We have tamed them pretty well. They keep to the subway stations where I live. Some elderly women and men waving their Watchtower but not daring to approach anyone. There's hardly any instance of home invasion.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
11-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Many moons ago, my first hubby had a pet boa. I had lost the belt to my robe and was in the habit of wrapping the snake around my waist (the snake loved the warmth and just snuggled in) after my shower to keep the robe in place.

Knock, knock. I opened the door. A Jehova family, two kids. (I hate how they use the kids as shield!!!!) The snake moved it's head towards them and stuck it's tongue out to assess the situation.

Poof! No more Jehovas at the door.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 11 users Like Dom's post
11-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Reminds me of this guy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-02-2017, 07:32 PM
(11-02-2017 07:02 PM)Dom Wrote:  Many moons ago, my first hubby had a pet boa. I had lost the belt to my robe and was in the habit of wrapping the snake around my waist (the snake loved the warmth and just snuggled in) after my shower to keep the robe in place.

Knock, knock. I opened the door. A Jehova family, two kids. (I hate how they use the kids as shield!!!!) The snake moved it's head towards them and stuck it's tongue out to assess the situation.

Poof! No more Jehovas at the door.

This is the most hilarious story ever. Laugh out load

Almost never get JWs around here, but in an apartment complex I lived in once, the owners were JWs. The laundry room was practically plastered in copies of the Watchtower.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
11-02-2017, 08:00 PM
The atheist in that video seems like a complete dick.