Jehovah and Omniscience.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2012 06:11 PM by Mr Woof.)
Jehovah and Omniscience.
It is common today for theologians to speak of God as being omniscient, yet nowhere in the Old Testament is this claim in any way substantively made.Jehovah God comes across as a confused entity seeking to command a specific tribe of people while conquering other Gods such as Baal in order to win some sort of battle of attrition. While claiming to be an angry and jealous god, among other negative traits, this leader of men also appears impotent when it comes to getting anything done. In the passover God directs all of his people to display blood from their windows in order that he will not confuse them with the Egyptians who he is intend on eliminating via a series of plagues and pestilence;hardly the behaviour of a god of any imposing value.

The early Jewish faith was a mix of worshipping other deities besides Jehovah until quite late in the historical saga, if we look to history, and even here there are some historians that oppose the conventional views entirely.Earlier in the piece Yahweh allegedly orders Moses to kill many of the Israelites who have built a golden calf to worship, as a result of their disenchantment as to how things were working out.

It would appear that Jehovah god was a god of fear, devoid of reason, restraint, compromise, compassion, and certainly in no way showing any sign of omniscience, the modus operandi being a mission to destroy mentality.

At the time of the appearance of Jesus, Judaism had severed its ties with the other arguably worse religions and were a largely autonomous body largely represented by the Pharisees and Saducees. Any omniscience of God does does not come across as an issue, and as for eternal life the Saduccees didn't even believe in it .(Thats why they were so sad you see) Indeed, the early Church father Marcion, who had quite a big following, would have completely destroyed the Old Testament on the basis of his idea that Jehovah was a charlatan and the real God had sent Jesus to patch things up.

I think what I have written may indicate that the concept of omniscience is not scriptural and that such a notion simply further muddeys the waters in respect to theologians trying to impose intellectually remiss belief systems upon us, while still turning to all aspect of the Bible.

''Though they go mad,they shall be sane
Though they sink through the seas they shall rise again' Dylan Thomas.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
30-05-2012, 06:42 PM
RE: Jehovah and Omniscience.
(30-05-2012 06:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  sad you see

Weeping
First Fulton's "traffic", now this. Best day for comedy on TTA. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
I'm an agnostic. We cannot know if there really is a teapot orbiting the sun.
30-05-2012, 07:20 PM
(30-05-2012 06:42 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-05-2012 06:07 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  sad you see

Weeping
First Fulton's "traffic", now this. Best day for comedy on TTA. Tongue

Well I don't see what I have written as essentally .....'funny ha ha'.

Some people still take this stuff literally; as for metaphor, theologians try and utilize myth and dumb analogy to create absolute 'truths', myth possibly being the pre cursor to vacuous belief..........................The passover is still celebrated by Jews and I don't see metaphor as justifying this religion.

30-05-2012, 08:42 PM
...but there are witnesses.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
31-05-2012, 12:29 AM
(30-05-2012 08:42 PM)Thomas Wrote:  ...but there are witnesses.

Ah yes Thomas and they come knocking on my door hoping I'll take a Watch Tower or two, and turn to the Boss rather than Jesus aka the archangel Gabriel. Angel