Jehovah's Witnesses just as perverted as the RC church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Jehovah's Witnesses just as perverted as the RC church
Quote:Jehovah’s Witnesses verdict could clear way for sex abuse suits in Canada
Candace Conti says the abuse began when she was nine years old, distributing Bibles door to door with a fellow churchgoer, a loud, hulking man named Jonathan Kendrick.
It was the mid-1990s in Fremont, Calif. Conti’s parents were having marital problems, her mother was sick and distracted. So the little girl found family in her tight-knit Jehovah’s Witness congregation — and Kendrick found a victim.
For two years, Conti says, Kendrick repeatedly molested her, most frequently when she went out with him to proselytize. [...]
Whole article: http://metronews.ca/news/canada/284023/v...in-canada/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 12:39 PM
RE: Jehovah's Witnesses just as perverted as the RC church
As a former Witness myself, I can easily tell you that the JW's are no better than anyone else. They sing all day long about how much more moral and upright they are compared to everybody else on the planet, religious or not, but they fail to remember they're human like the rest of us, and some of them are horrible people through and through. It may not be as common simply because the religion itself isn't exactly large. You may see a Baptist church on every corner, but there's usually only 1 Kingdom Hall within 20-40 miles of another one, and they don't have that many patrons. Still, it's gonna be there. They can't hide it!

Just a quick and simple example: My mother forgot her purse in the bathroom during a Memorial celebration one year. When she went back, she found it completely gone. Someone had stolen it. The elders refused to search any of the others in the audience because, during Memorial, there are FAR more attendees than usual, and it was just too inconvenient for them.

I'm glad she came forward and seems to have gotten some justice. But I'm sorry it had to happen to her at all.
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
What I don't like is that there's no admission that there's a problem from the JW side... it's all "Oh he's one man, we as a church have nothing to do with it". But it was their policies that gave him the opportunity.
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
(03-07-2012 12:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  What I don't like is that there's no admission that there's a problem from the JW side...

So let's make them feel sorry! That's why the victims are apparently getting ready to sue them into bankruptcy, just like they already did with a couple US RC dioceses (the others will go belly-up too, given time).

Good for them!

What church, denomination, sect, or cult is going to be next to be unmasked as perverts?
[+] 1 user Likes Scarlet Pimpernel's post
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
(03-07-2012 01:13 PM)Scarlet Pimpernel Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 12:48 PM)morondog Wrote:  What I don't like is that there's no admission that there's a problem from the JW side...

So let's make them feel sorry! That's why the victims are apparently getting ready to sue them into bankruptcy, just like they already did with a couple US RC dioceses (the others will go belly-up too, given time).

Good for them!

What church, denomination, sect, or cult is going to be next to be unmasked as perverts?
I would suggest the Ass of God Church.

Oops. Silly me. That would be the Ass [period] of God Church.

Ass. is the abbreviation for Assembly, isn't it? I'd sure hate for anyone to get the wrong idea. Big Grin

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Not comparable.
Sorry - not comparable; this is about one pervert and maybe some enablers. The RC church was institutionalized criminal behavior.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Hmmm... nope. Can't punish the innocent. They committed sins of omission IMO but not commission, and in reality even that would have to be determined by a judge. How would you feel if people in the local atheist organization you attend once in a while were convicted of pedophilia and there was a claim against your organization for the damages. Now, you've contributed to this organization for years. There's a nice community hall and some great facilities which everyone (well, all members) enjoy. Because of this guy, and because the claim is made to stick, the facilities have to be sold. Your labour. Your contributions. Down the drain.

I'd fucking fight it tooth and nail. To me, that is more or less an injustice. The judge feels that the church does bear some responsibility, so they do have to pay damages but bear in mind that it's not like the church is evenly split between raging pedophiles and innocent children. There are a lot of people who are community members who are just more or less normal people, apart from being slightly crazy, which is the prerogative of humans.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
03-07-2012, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 02:20 PM by Scarlet Pimpernel.)
RE: Not comparable.
(03-07-2012 01:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Sorry - not comparable; this is about one pervert and maybe some enablers.

Don't jump to conclusions. The case hasn't even started yet. Or a thorough investigation into it. There's no reason to automatically assume this is an isolated case in the JW community. Quite the contrary, if recent history is any indication.

Quote:The RC church was institutionalized criminal behavior.

Quite!
It's classical organized crime, and ought to be prosecuted as such!
Cut off the head of the snake!
But it wasn't institutionalized criminal behavior ... it is still ongoing.
[+] 1 user Likes Scarlet Pimpernel's post
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:Don't jump to conclusions. The case hasn't even started yet. Or a
thorough investigation into it. There's no reason to automatically
assume this is an isolated case in the JW community. Quite the contrary,
if recent history is any indication.
OK, but you can't automatically assume that it isn't an isolated case, either.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
(03-07-2012 02:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Quote:Don't jump to conclusions. The case hasn't even started yet. Or a
thorough investigation into it. There's no reason to automatically
assume this is an isolated case in the JW community. Quite the contrary,
if recent history is any indication.
OK, but you can't automatically assume that it isn't an isolated case, either.

Of course not. But recent history warrants a serious investigation into the possibility of organized crime! You can't ignore what happened. Over and over and over and over again (officially estimated, by a parliamentary commissioned committee, at between 20,000 and 100,000 victims in my country, since WWII; is that enough?).