Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 07:28 AM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 07:26 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  Sure, the last one I saw was "cunt". That is however one of probably hundreds you have been able to put in your satchel since you started posting here. In and of itself the one word has no further significance and is not what I am talking about.

oh i misunderstood you. i thought you were saying i had insulted someone.

Oh no, I don't think that you would do that, you don't get brownies for that.

But I also think that this whole thing is too obviously contrived to fool your god into crediting you for self sacrifice.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 07:30 AM
(15-05-2014 07:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 06:59 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  what do you disagree with? specifically?

I'm disagreeing with you calling any of the following "atheism":

(15-05-2014 06:50 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  we exist as accidental collocations of atoms. we are here because we evolved from something that somehow came to be long ago without any planning or intention behind it.

we coexist with the roach and maggot and rat who like them, will suffer decay and eventually the cessation of biological life.

we have thoughts about ourselves that make us different from the maggot. we are not better or worse off than they for this. we just are different than they.

some of us think we are special or better than the maggot because we can think these thoughts or have certain feelings about other creatures, but this thinking is not in accordance with reality. its illusory.

Atheism is not believing in any gods. Anything else is over-defining the term. I'm not saying the above mentioned statements are wrong; I'm saying they aren't atheism in the same way that they're not pizza. Words have meanings.

ok....

if one lacks belief in gods or God then their views about how we got here cannot include God or gods.

if one is an atheist then their explanation of morality or destiny cannot include gods or God.

thats simple
15-05-2014, 07:31 AM
(15-05-2014 07:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:26 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  oh i misunderstood you. i thought you were saying i had insulted someone.

Oh no, I don't think that you would do that, you don't get brownies for that.

But I also think that this whole thing is too obviously contrived to fool your god into crediting you for self sacrifice.

me being insulted is not persecution or me denying myself. it is just me being insulted. my reward is not brownie points but a deeper understanding of atheists.
15-05-2014, 07:33 AM
(15-05-2014 07:27 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Jeremy,
What is your reason for being here on this forum.

And 'the same as yours' isn't an answer...it's a cop out.

Really...what drives you? Something in a form of self-flagellation...I don't think that's it. So, how about an answer to your reason or motive, as it were.

i like talking with atheists.

Why?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-05-2014, 07:33 AM
(15-05-2014 07:31 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  me being insulted is not persecution or me denying myself. it is just me being insulted. my reward is not brownie points but a deeper understanding of atheists.

Do you think that there is potential for a deeper understanding of yourself as well? For example, asking yourself why you feel the need to put yourself in a situation which results in you being insulted? What it is that provokes the insults and why you do it?
15-05-2014, 07:36 AM
(15-05-2014 07:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:27 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i like talking with atheists.

Why?

i used to be one and i can relate. i also like having my beliefs challenged and reaffirmed.
15-05-2014, 07:37 AM
(15-05-2014 07:27 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Jeremy,
What is your reason for being here on this forum.

And 'the same as yours' isn't an answer...it's a cop out.

Really...what drives you? Something in a form of self-flagellation...I don't think that's it. So, how about an answer to your reason or motive, as it were.

i like talking with atheists.

How does that answer not qualify as a cop-out? Having a blast here lately, aren't we?

How about this, since you're reluctant to put words in your mouth, I'll put them for you:

You're convinced that your view on what, if anything, constitutes a meaningful life is better than other people's (ours) view, and you, in your benevolence, wish to get other people to see why that is the case, in order to have a positive contribution to the world.

Does that sound more like it?

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
15-05-2014, 07:39 AM
(15-05-2014 07:36 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Why?

i used to be one and i can relate. i also like having my beliefs challenged and reaffirmed.

What caused you to believe?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-05-2014, 07:41 AM
(15-05-2014 07:33 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:31 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  me being insulted is not persecution or me denying myself. it is just me being insulted. my reward is not brownie points but a deeper understanding of atheists.

Do you think that there is potential for a deeper understanding of yourself as well? For example, asking yourself why you feel the need to put yourself in a situation which results in you being insulted? What it is that provokes the insults and why you do it?

i learn something new about myself everyday.

i do not feel i am under compulsion to be here. i come here freely. i do not need to. i like to.

i do not know why people insult me. in fact, i cannot be insulted. a person can call me whatever they want but it is my reaction to it that counts. if i were concerned with being respected i guess i would feel insulted. personally i am not one who makes it a habit of being concerned about how much or little i am respected.
15-05-2014, 07:42 AM
(15-05-2014 07:39 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:36 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  i used to be one and i can relate. i also like having my beliefs challenged and reaffirmed.

What caused you to believe?

the same thing that caused C.S. Lewis or any other intellectual skeptic to believe.