Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 09:57 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I'd call you a name, but I don't have any brownies, and apparently we have to give you brownies when we call you names now, or something.

I give ponies.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBW-F8OS3E9lm8q0I7GKB...IQYqfDV5r5]

Not sure if this is accepted currency in heaven though. You might need to hit a brownie exchange. I wonder how the exchange rate would work out.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
15-05-2014, 10:03 AM
(15-05-2014 09:52 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 09:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  Absols - sometimes he seemed to make sense and what he said was profound.

Hold on. Absols making sense? I'm sorry, but ... {{Citation needed}}

Oh no, I am not going back through his writings to extract the few statements that made sense to me. Not on your life, hah, I'd never get that time back. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-05-2014, 10:05 AM
(15-05-2014 09:35 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 08:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  Circular answer is circular. Try again. Drinking Beverage

That is not circular because it is not intended to be a reasoned argument. It is a statement of fact.

Your thinking is muddy. That answer is a restatement of the question. Circular.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-05-2014, 10:20 AM
(15-05-2014 09:43 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 09:35 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  That is not circular because it is not intended to be a reasoned argument. It is a statement of fact.

Now I ain't no argumenterer or nothin', but I am fairly positive that saying "I believe in god, 'cause god.' is indeed a statement of particularly rotund status.

Whether it is an argument or not is irrelevant.

Also, do I have to remind you again that you have yet to establish the existence of your glorified war god? I should hope not; Early-onset dementia or senility are sad things indeed.

My math teacher telling me two and two is four is what caused me to believe two and two was four.

If that is a circular argument to you then you do not know what a circular argument is.

I have never argued that God exists because God told me He existed.
15-05-2014, 10:25 AM
(15-05-2014 10:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 09:43 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Now I ain't no argumenterer or nothin', but I am fairly positive that saying "I believe in god, 'cause god.' is indeed a statement of particularly rotund status.

Whether it is an argument or not is irrelevant.

Also, do I have to remind you again that you have yet to establish the existence of your glorified war god? I should hope not; Early-onset dementia or senility are sad things indeed.

My math teacher telling me two and two is four is what caused me to believe two and two was four.

If that is a circular argument to you then you do not know what a circular argument is.

Then why are you so sure that god exists? That is the question that you keep avoiding.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
15-05-2014, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 10:38 AM by John.)
(15-05-2014 10:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  My math teacher telling me two and two is four is what caused me to believe two and two was four.

Don't be silly. Your acceptance of 2 + 2 = 4 as true boils down to experiences in the real world, not what anybody told you. And yes, you should have argued for a long time that God exists because, in some way, he told you so -- and that as well boils down to your experiences. So get to it and skip the pointless arguments that nobody finds convincing enough to change their allegiance, but merely use to reinforce what they already believed in.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 1 user Likes John's post
15-05-2014, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 10:44 AM by Charis.)
(15-05-2014 10:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  My math teacher telling me two and two is four is what caused me to believe two and two was four.
NOT GOOD. You don't believe something just because she tells you. She hopefully SHOWED YOU HOW two and two is four. You saw the evidence that it was so. Her authority didn't make it so.

Quote:If that is a circular argument to you then you do not know what a circular argument is.
Yes, this is actually a true statement. If that was a circular argument to me, I wouldn't know what a circular argument is.
That would actually be a strawman argument (edit: or false equivocation, as Robby points out below in post 149); not a circular argument. It's also a demonstration of how you've been taught. Hopefully, this 2+2 example is only an isolated thing in your past, and is not representative of too much.

Quote:I have never argued that God exists because God told me He existed.
Well that's good... glad to hear it, actually. However FT didn't say anything about God telling you anything. But of course, you know that.
What he SAID was:
Quote:Now I ain't no argumenterer or nothin', but I am fairly positive that saying "I believe in god, 'cause god.' is indeed a statement of particularly rotund status.
But you knew that too.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
15-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Does it ever make any of my other fellow Atheists a bit sad that we never get a "I told you so" moment after we are all dead?
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
15-05-2014, 10:34 AM

That math is "true" because we define it to be true. Math is just a way of formally unifying the way we describe certain things about our universe. It's not a matter of faith but one of definition.

So... you believe in God because your pastor told you so? Is that it? If not, I'm not sure what the math analogy had to do with anything. We call that a non sequitur around here. Also, false equivocation.
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
15-05-2014, 10:38 AM
(15-05-2014 10:33 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Does it ever make any of my other fellow Atheists a bit sad that we never get a "I told you so" moment after we are all dead?

Kind of, yes.

Bonus points: the theists don't, either! Really, one of several things will happen:
  • They die, and they stop existing. Nothing to brag about.
  • They die and go to heaven, but all their "tears are wiped away", and they have no memory of those in hell. Nothing to brag about.
  • They die and go to hell for worshiping the wrong god. They see us there, but they were also wrong, so nothing to brag about.
  • They die and are reincarnated. They don't remember any of this. Nothing to brag about.
  • They die and go to some warped version of heaven where they get to brag to atheists. Is this really something to brag about?
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post