Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 08:31 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:43 AM)Anjele Wrote:  That is a non answer.

Speak for yourself - I didn't ask what caused CS Lewis to believe.

God.

What's a god ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
15-05-2014, 10:51 AM
(15-05-2014 10:33 AM)Charis Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  My math teacher telling me two and two is four is what caused me to believe two and two was four.
NOT GOOD. You don't believe something just because she tells you. She hopefully SHOWED YOU HOW two and two is four. You saw the evidence that it was so. Her authority didn't make it so.

Quote:If that is a circular argument to you then you do not know what a circular argument is.
Yes, this is actually a true statement. If that was a circular argument to me, I wouldn't know what a circular argument is.
That would actually be a strawman argument; not a circular argument. It's also a demonstration of how you've been taught. Hopefully, this 2+2 example is only an isolated thing in your past, and is not representative of too much.

when my math teacher told me two and two was four i trusted her. i did not demand proof. i accepted what she said as true because i recognized she was a TEACHER. when she told me two and two was four i was not suspicious of her intentions. i believed she was trying to help me not hurt me nor did what she tell me seem to be so off the wall as to warrant skepticism.

i am not a person that is suspicious and doubtful of everything people tell me. i am not now nor was i when i was told what two and two was. if someone tells me something i take it as being true by default not false by default. if it seems at odds with what i think is true then i ask for further support for their assertion and also check what i believe to make sure i am not in error.

i do not walk around demanding proof from everyone when they tell me something if what they tell me sounds reasonable.

i had little number beads i played with and used them and put two on one side and two together with the two and counted to four. this was a visual cue that what she had already told me was true.

i was not poisoned with the whole "question everything" mantra until later in life and thankfully am free of it now.
15-05-2014, 10:52 AM
(15-05-2014 10:46 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 08:31 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God.

What's a god ?

I said God. Not a god.
15-05-2014, 10:54 AM
(15-05-2014 10:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:46 AM)Leo Wrote:  What's a god ?

I said God. Not a god.

What's God ? Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
15-05-2014, 10:55 AM
(15-05-2014 10:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:20 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  My math teacher telling me two and two is four is what caused me to believe two and two was four.

If that is a circular argument to you then you do not know what a circular argument is.

I have never argued that God exists because God told me He existed.

That math is "true" because we define it to be true. Math is just a way of formally unifying the way we describe certain things about our universe. It's not a matter of faith but one of definition.

So... you believe in God because your pastor told you so? Is that it? If not, I'm not sure what the math analogy had to do with anything. We call that a non sequitur around here. Also, false equivocation.

No. I do not believe in God because my pastor told me to.

sorry
15-05-2014, 10:55 AM
(15-05-2014 07:30 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  ok....

if one lacks belief in gods or God then their views about how we got here cannot include God or gods.

if one is an atheist then their explanation of morality or destiny cannot include gods or God.

thats simple

Yes, that is simple. Too simple. These are incorrect assumptions coupled with a simplistic understanding of human perception.

Simplicity relies on certainty to do it's thinking.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-05-2014, 10:56 AM
(15-05-2014 10:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That math is "true" because we define it to be true. Math is just a way of formally unifying the way we describe certain things about our universe. It's not a matter of faith but one of definition.

So... you believe in God because your pastor told you so? Is that it? If not, I'm not sure what the math analogy had to do with anything. We call that a non sequitur around here. Also, false equivocation.

sorry

Why do you believe in your monster god Yahveh ?
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
15-05-2014, 10:57 AM
(15-05-2014 10:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:34 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So... you believe in God because your pastor told you so? Is that it? If not, I'm not sure what the math analogy had to do with anything. We call that a non sequitur around here. Also, false equivocation.

sorry

So the math quip was a non sequitur, then. Why include it?
15-05-2014, 10:58 AM
(15-05-2014 10:54 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:52 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I said God. Not a god.

What's God ? Drinking Beverage

Reference dictionary.com
15-05-2014, 10:59 AM
(15-05-2014 10:56 AM)Leo Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 10:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  No. I do not believe in God because my pastor told me to.

sorry

Why do you believe in your monster god Yahveh ?

I do not believe in a monster god Yahveh.

sorry.