Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 12:39 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:34 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  And what qualified you, in your mind, to "decide what is acceptable"?

Hobo

A proposition is acceptable to me if it qualifies to be a Justified true belief.
This is a definition of knowledge that is most frequently credited to Plato and his dialogues. The concept of justified true belief states that in order to know that a given proposition is true, one must not only believe the relevant true proposition, but one must also have justification for doing so. In more formal terms, a subject S knows that a proposition P is true if and only if:

P is true
S believes that P is true, and
S is justified in believing that P is true

Not only have you shot yourself in the face by citing that, you have failed to address my question.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-05-2014, 01:15 PM
Within fundamentalism, it is generally openly acknowledged that god is full of wrath and judgment against sin and unrepentant sinners. The less pleasant characteristics are often embraced as just part of his holy nature, with wrath being a part of his justice and purity. his purity would require that he detest sin and place judgment upon those who are in sin.

Wrath, anger with sin (and yes, sinners) is seen as part of his righteousness and purity.

I am not surprised that he included wrath, for this reason.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
15-05-2014, 01:23 PM
(15-05-2014 12:41 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:35 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I agree.

I also detect a materialistic undertone in your thinking.

I am not a materialist.
Nice attempt at diverting the topic of why you believe in your god. (Well, not really because it makes no sense at all.) By your reply, you seem to agree then that you believe in your god NOT for the same reason that I would believe in a person as you originally claimed. So back to the drawing board. Why do you believe in your god?

"The actual existence of the person is what makes you believe another person exists. You can see, touch, talk with, and interact with the person. The person also answers back, interacts back, touches you back, and sees you as well. Although you might claim you can, the fact is you can't say any of that about your gawd."

Your argument assumes materialism is true.

I stated earlier, I am not a materialist.

You equate actual existence with existing in space, in time, with physical concrete constituents.

Why?
15-05-2014, 01:26 PM
(15-05-2014 12:41 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:27 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The command does not cohere with what God has said.

Sure it does.

"You must completely destroy the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites, just as the LORD your God has commanded you. Deut 20:17"

Quote mining is fallacious.

Try again.
15-05-2014, 01:27 PM
(15-05-2014 01:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Your argument assumes materialism is true.

You equate actual existence with existing in space, in time, with physical concrete constituents.

Why?

You defer to imaginary bullshit that iron age goat fuckers made up as existing. Hobo

But thanks for outright admitting that your fairy tale monster doesn't exist.

(15-05-2014 01:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:41 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Sure it does.

"You must completely destroy the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites, just as the LORD your God has commanded you. Deut 20:17"

Quote mining is fallacious.

Try again.

Yes, quote mining is fallacious. In order for it to be quote mining, it must be taken and presented outside of its actual context.

That's not quote mining. That's your fairy tale monster ordering the complete destruction of whole peoples.

Does your Gawd know how much you lie?

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-05-2014, 01:30 PM
(15-05-2014 12:44 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:32 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Anything that would demonstrate that God has failed to live up to my conceptualization of who God would be.

What makes YOU the Final Arbiter for the Universe of "What Gawd Should Be"?

You really think you are that fucking important. Wow. Just wow.

Hobo

I did not claim to be the final arbiter of anything.

sorry.
15-05-2014, 01:31 PM
(15-05-2014 01:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:23 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Your argument assumes materialism is true.

Why?

You defer to imaginary bullshit that iron age goat fuckers made up as existing. Hobo

But thanks for outright admitting that your fairy tale monster doesn't exist.

(15-05-2014 01:26 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Quote mining is fallacious.

Try again.

Yes, quote mining is fallacious. In order for it to be quote mining, it must be taken and presented outside of its actual context.

That's not quote mining. That's your fairy tale monster ordering the complete destruction of whole peoples.

Does your Gawd know how much you lie?

Where is the context?
15-05-2014, 01:33 PM
(15-05-2014 01:30 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:44 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  What makes YOU the Final Arbiter for the Universe of "What Gawd Should Be"?

You really think you are that fucking important. Wow. Just wow.

Hobo

I did not claim to be the final arbiter of anything.

sorry.

Your statement above is precisely such a claim.

15-05-2014, 01:34 PM
(15-05-2014 01:07 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:40 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Holy, Just, Righteous, Compassionate, Wrathful, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Loving and a slew of other attributes brought together in pure simplicity and perfect harmony.

So would you agree your God is the The One who Calculated the Heavens, the Stars and the Earth, Reckoner of Time and Seasons, the one who Measured out the Heavens and Planned the Earth, He who Balances Equilibrium and Master of the Balance?

I would agree God is what He has said He is.
15-05-2014, 01:38 PM
(15-05-2014 12:42 PM)John Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:32 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Jesus said that those who do hunger and thirst after righteousness would be filled and that He would do the filling for He said He was the Bread of Life and that whoever drinks of the water that He will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that He will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

I love it how I have to put words into your mouth and second guess everything you write. Does this mean that you don't equate having a desire for righteousness with being a Christian or converting to Christianity, but see the latter merely as an (inevitable?) implication of the former?

If so, do you think that it is a positive contribution to the world from someone to have a desire for righteousness?

A person can desire to be righteous but not to the extent that they are willing to yield themselves to Christ so that He might be their righteousness (asking Christ to be one's righteousness is the essence of justification).

I think a lot of people want to be good people and they contribute to the good of the world in acting on this desire. However, this does not necesssarily mean that these people would be willing to admit that they need Christ. The two are related but not equivalent.