Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 01:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:27 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You defer to imaginary bullshit that iron age goat fuckers made up as existing. Hobo

But thanks for outright admitting that your fairy tale monster doesn't exist.

Yes, quote mining is fallacious. In order for it to be quote mining, it must be taken and presented outside of its actual context.

That's not quote mining. That's your fairy tale monster ordering the complete destruction of whole peoples.

Does your Gawd know how much you lie?

Where is the context?

Your fairy tale monster ordering the destruction of whole peoples. In the face of your claim that your fairy tale monster wouldn't do such a thing, or order YOU do to such a thing.

(15-05-2014 01:38 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:42 PM)John Wrote:  I love it how I have to put words into your mouth and second guess everything you write. Does this mean that you don't equate having a desire for righteousness with being a Christian or converting to Christianity, but see the latter merely as an (inevitable?) implication of the former?

If so, do you think that it is a positive contribution to the world from someone to have a desire for righteousness?

A person can desire to be righteous but not to the extent that they are willing to yield themselves to Christ so that He might be their righteousness (asking Christ to be one's righteousness is the essence of justification).

I think a lot of people want to be good people and they contribute to the good of the world in acting on this desire. However, this does not necesssarily mean that these people would be willing to admit that they need Christ. The two are related but not equivalent.

Word. Salad.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-05-2014, 01:45 PM
(15-05-2014 01:09 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 11:40 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Holy, Just, Righteous, Compassionate, Wrathful, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Loving and a slew of other attributes brought together in pure simplicity and perfect harmony.

The fact that you threw "wrathful" in there is interesting. I can see "Just". A lot of people use concepts of "justice" to explain why God does "bad thing", but wrath is completely incomparable with compassion or love. Holy seems rather hollow, as in, it has no meaning outside of supposed divine nature. It would be like describing God as "god-like".

Also, this list seems rather post hoc, as in, you created it after already assuming your god has these qualities. I bet if the Bible didn't include all the wrathful stories of genocides, you wouldn't have added wrath to your list.

When I say wrath, I do not mean wrath in the sense you imagine it. I see wrath as flowing from God's Just nature which are demanded by His holiness and righteousness. Wrath is the expression of hate and judgment against the profane and wicked. I myself as a human hate wickedness and when I see people subjected to it desire to make it right. How much more would a God who is Holy who can see all the wrongs and evils committed in the earth desire to make it right by assigning to the wicked that which their deeds merit?
15-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 01:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:07 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  So would you agree your God is the The One who Calculated the Heavens, the Stars and the Earth, Reckoner of Time and Seasons, the one who Measured out the Heavens and Planned the Earth, He who Balances Equilibrium and Master of the Balance?

I would agree God is what He has said He is.

So you would, without question, accept the verse as describing God, because it is God's word?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
15-05-2014, 01:46 PM
(15-05-2014 01:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:07 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  So would you agree your God is the The One who Calculated the Heavens, the Stars and the Earth, Reckoner of Time and Seasons, the one who Measured out the Heavens and Planned the Earth, He who Balances Equilibrium and Master of the Balance?

I would agree God is what He has said He is.

Though, of course, for a god to have claimed anything, one must first be shown to exist. We STILL need evidence for this.

IF a god can be shown to exist, now we need to ascertain this god's character, nature, etc., before we can really believe any claims of creation or character (and apparently gender?) that this being makes of him/herself. Granted, we would still not be sure that this being has communicated to humanity in ANY way, and if so, how. Are any of the claimed manifestations to be trusted? what evidence goes into determining this?

Sooooo many questions.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
15-05-2014, 01:48 PM
(15-05-2014 01:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:31 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Where is the context?

Your fairy tale monster ordering the destruction of whole peoples. In the face of your claim that your fairy tale monster wouldn't do such a thing, or order YOU do to such a thing.

(15-05-2014 01:38 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  A person can desire to be righteous but not to the extent that they are willing to yield themselves to Christ so that He might be their righteousness (asking Christ to be one's righteousness is the essence of justification).

I think a lot of people want to be good people and they contribute to the good of the world in acting on this desire. However, this does not necesssarily mean that these people would be willing to admit that they need Christ. The two are related but not equivalent.

Word. Salad.

The context is the bible. You take a verse from it and argue that it is representative of God while omitting the rest of the thirty thousand plus verses.

You fail
15-05-2014, 01:49 PM
(15-05-2014 01:46 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I would agree God is what He has said He is.

Though, of course, for a god to have claimed anything, one must first be shown to exist. We STILL need evidence for this.

IF a god can be shown to exist, now we need to ascertain this god's character, nature, etc., before we can really believe any claims of creation or character (and apparently gender?) that this being makes of him/herself. Granted, we would still not be sure that this being has communicated to humanity in ANY way, and if so, how. Are any of the claimed manifestations to be trusted? what evidence goes into determining this?

Sooooo many questions.

Start in Genesis. End with Revelation. Most of your questions will be answered. Not all. But most.
15-05-2014, 01:49 PM
(15-05-2014 01:46 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I would agree God is what He has said He is.

So you would, without question, accept the verse as describing God, because it is God's word?

what verse?
15-05-2014, 01:50 PM
(15-05-2014 01:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Your fairy tale monster ordering the destruction of whole peoples. In the face of your claim that your fairy tale monster wouldn't do such a thing, or order YOU do to such a thing.

Word. Salad.

The context is the bible. You take a verse from it and argue that it is representative of God while omitting the rest of the thirty thousand plus verses.

You fail

Whoa!!!! whoa, whoa, whoa, back up the hermeneutics horse!

Try that again? Could you please go into a LITTLE BETTER detail on how biblical context or any sort of context works? because what you did there? wow. just wow.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
15-05-2014, 01:52 PM
(15-05-2014 01:49 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:46 PM)Charis Wrote:  Though, of course, for a god to have claimed anything, one must first be shown to exist. We STILL need evidence for this.

Sooooo many questions.

Start in Genesis. End with Revelation. Most of your questions will be answered. Not all. But most.

Genesis through Rev. IS THE CLAIM.

Looking for evidence. Not looking to repeat the claim. Claim is not true because claim. Nuh-uh.

[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
15-05-2014, 01:52 PM
(15-05-2014 01:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:09 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  The fact that you threw "wrathful" in there is interesting. I can see "Just". A lot of people use concepts of "justice" to explain why God does "bad thing", but wrath is completely incomparable with compassion or love. Holy seems rather hollow, as in, it has no meaning outside of supposed divine nature. It would be like describing God as "god-like".

Also, this list seems rather post hoc, as in, you created it after already assuming your god has these qualities. I bet if the Bible didn't include all the wrathful stories of genocides, you wouldn't have added wrath to your list.

When I say wrath, I do not mean wrath in the sense you imagine it. I see wrath as flowing from God's Just nature which are demanded by His holiness and righteousness. Wrath is the expression of hate and judgment against the profane and wicked. I myself as a human hate wickedness and when I see people subjected to it desire to make it right. How much more would a God who is Holy who can see all the wrongs and evils committed in the earth desire to make it right by assigning to the wicked that which their deeds merit?

Really - what is wrong with you? Your god sounds pretty "Human" you dolt! Think about it.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post