Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 02:21 PM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:09 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  If after reading the Bible, you feel compelled to be an atheist, then fine.

I do not understand why you would still ask for evidence.

That strikes me as odd.

We wanna know what goes on inside that crazy brain of *yours*, god boy. You read the bible and apparently were not repulsed. The question is why? I fear the answer is that you yourself are a pustulent little twerp who'd cheerfully sell his grandma for glue but hope springs eternal, it *may* be that you are merely a twit.

Why?

Maybe because I know quote mining is not how one goes about reading a collection of texts if one wants to know what they mean.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2014, 02:23 PM
(15-05-2014 02:19 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Charis, you would expect God to condemn rape if He existed would you not?

I would HOPE that he/she would. Whether he/she actually would or not would depend on his/her moral character. Also, whether that being condemned rape CONSISTENTLY, and had alternate definitions of rape would be interesting to see.

Well....you see...thats not what I asked.

What i asked was if God existed, would you expect God to condemn rape?

Would you expect God to?
15-05-2014, 02:28 PM
(15-05-2014 02:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Charis, you would expect God to condemn rape if He existed would you not?
In your view, if God condemned helping the sick, it would be morally wrong.

Would He condemn helping the sick though. I think not.

In fact, looking through the Bible, the exact opposite of that is shown.
15-05-2014, 02:29 PM
It would seem to me that people have this idea of what "we would expect of a god" if such were to exist. But think of it.... A god would be, I assume, autonomous. Independent of OUR ideas, morals, goals, plans, etc. A personality and being of their own, whose identity and desires are not formed according to the expectations and whims of others, let alone of lesser beings.

If the existence, makeup or essence of a god can be challenged or questioned based upon the expected or desired morals of those who ponder this god, is this god NOT now a figment of our individual or collective imaginations?

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
15-05-2014, 02:29 PM
(15-05-2014 02:21 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Why?

Maybe because I know quote mining is not how one goes about reading a collection of texts if one wants to know what they mean.

You wouldn't know what quote mining was if it hit you in the face with a shovel Rolleyes

How does the context change this:
Quote:The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God. They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open. (Hosea 13:16)

I invite you to specify in what context you can read this as oh-so-wonderful God *not* ordering murder?

Oh lookee here's another, only a google search away:
Quote:Now go and attack Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and do not spare them. But kill both man and woman, infant and nursing child, ox and sheep, camel and donkey. (1 Samuel 15:3)

Come now and let us reason together, Mr Christian. Tell me how I shall read these verses? What is the correct *context*, so that I may not "quote mine"...

Fucken idiot.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
15-05-2014, 02:31 PM
(15-05-2014 01:38 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 12:42 PM)John Wrote:  I love it how I have to put words into your mouth and second guess everything you write. Does this mean that you don't equate having a desire for righteousness with being a Christian or converting to Christianity, but see the latter merely as an (inevitable?) implication of the former?

If so, do you think that it is a positive contribution to the world from someone to have a desire for righteousness?

A person can desire to be righteous but not to the extent that they are willing to yield themselves to Christ so that He might be their righteousness (asking Christ to be one's righteousness is the essence of justification).

I think a lot of people want to be good people and they contribute to the good of the world in acting on this desire. However, this does not necesssarily mean that these people would be willing to admit that they need Christ. The two are related but not equivalent.

Iteration #4 it is then......

According to you:

1) A lot of people want to be good people and they contribute to the good of the world in acting on this desire.

2) Taken this desire to the extreme, one is to ask Christ to be one's righteousness (I take the liberty to interpret that as converting to Christianity)

3) You would love to see us to have a desire and hunger and thirst for righteousness. #240

=> IMPLICATION =>

You would love to see us ask Christ to be our righteousness (us to convert to Christianity), and you consider that to be an extension to something that is a positive contribution to the world, hence it would be an even more positive contribution to the world.

Yet, when I presented you with this in order to query your motives for being here:

(15-05-2014 07:42 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:37 AM)John Wrote:  Since you're reluctant to put words in your mouth, I'll put them for you:

You're convinced that your view on what, if anything, constitutes a meaningful life is better than other people's (ours) view, and you, in your benevolence, wish to get other people to see why that is the case, in order to have a positive contribution to the world.

Does that sound more like it?

no. sorry.

...you answered plainly no.

We have 3 paths to go down from here, either:

1) You begin to quibble and nitpick about some words' definitions and try to harmonize your accounts into something that is at odds with what you've stated. For instance you'd come up with something like "I just like to hang out here, but if it makes you desire to be Christians, all the better!" Or,

2) You admit to giving contrary statements, and (given the shortest route) that your motives in fact are intertwined with a desire to have a positive contribution to the world by influencing other people's thoughts. Or,

3) You realize this BS is not worth continuing and decide not to respond.

Your pick. Heart

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 3 users Like John's post
15-05-2014, 02:34 PM
(15-05-2014 01:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:07 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  So would you agree your God is the The One who Calculated the Heavens, the Stars and the Earth, Reckoner of Time and Seasons, the one who Measured out the Heavens and Planned the Earth, He who Balances Equilibrium and Master of the Balance?

I would agree God is what He has said He is.

I see. So thereby, any description of God by God is accurate.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 2 users Like rampant.a.i.'s post
15-05-2014, 02:35 PM
(15-05-2014 02:34 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:34 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I would agree God is what He has said He is.

I see. So thereby, any description of God by God is accurate.
But of course. Smartass

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
15-05-2014, 02:36 PM
(15-05-2014 02:09 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:04 PM)Charis Wrote:  It's interesting that you assume that I have not done this. I have.

And doing this repeatedly contributes to my atheism.

But there's still this issue.... me READING THE CLAIM yet AGAIN will not change that fact that it is still THE CLAIM! Laugh out loadWeeping

If after reading the Bible, you feel compelled to be an atheist, then fine.

Then why are you here?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
15-05-2014, 02:36 PM
(15-05-2014 02:28 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Would He condemn helping the sick though. I think not.
Why do you think he wouldn't? It seems like you must be using some other standard of morality besides your god to conclude that. Consider The point is, if he did, without some other standard of morality, you would consider it a sin to help the sick. So presumably you wouldn't help the sick if you were in a position to do so and no one else was around to do so.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.