RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
I think there's a tad bit too much rape on these forums. Dodgy

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like John's post
15-05-2014, 03:09 PM
(15-05-2014 03:07 PM)John Wrote:  I think there's a tad bit too much rape on these forums. Dodgy

It's not rape. It's struggle cuddling.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-05-2014, 03:13 PM
I think we are getting mind-raped by this evil and damaged prick.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
15-05-2014, 03:29 PM
(15-05-2014 02:47 PM)Charis Wrote:  What do you mean "would I expect?"

IF a god existed, my expectations are irrelevant to whatever that god was, did, said, etc. THAT is what I currently think. And THAT position leads me to not even hazard to hold any actual expectations of a god, because doing so would be futile and may lead to disillusionment if such a being were to exist. In short, it would be pointless, foolish and potentially harmful to harbor expectations of someone without having any basis for doing so.
Yes, with regards to real entities, what we tend to do is to have a two way conversation with them. If we are unclear about their position, or their expectations then we ask them questions and if they are reasonable then they clarify.

If the worshippers are assuming their god's position rather than asking the god for clarification, then they are making their god irrelevant. It becomes a matter of "It doesn't matter what god actually wants, the only thing that matters is what I imagine that god wants"
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
15-05-2014, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 03:44 PM by Mathilda.)
(15-05-2014 03:07 PM)John Wrote:  I think there's a tad bit too much rape on these forums. Dodgy

There seems a tad too much rape on all discussion forums and social media. It's like an easy way to bully people by exploiting a conditioned fear.

Imagine a couple that have a son and daughter. They both grow to be teenagers and start to wonder off outside of the house at night with their friends without the parents there to look after them. The girl is physically weaker than the son and because rapists exist the parents worry more about the daughter's safety. They assume the son can look after himself, or at the very least will have the urge to fight back because he has testosterone.

The parents start to feel a lack of control and the most they can do to compensate is to press upon the daughter the need to be careful. This may make sound sense but the unintended consequence is that it also conditions the daughter to be more afraid of men. And this inadvertently makes them more likely to be victims. Rapists are bullies and bullies being cowards themselves will prefer victims that are too afraid to fight back. The irony is that men are more likely to be a victim of violence from other men because they are seen as more of a threat.

If I was a parent I would teach both the son and the daughter that they can defend themselves if they know how regardless of the relative size, strength and shape of their attacker. I would try to empower them both rather than make them fearful. That alone will make them less likely to be a victim. In reality no one, whether male or female, ever knows how to deal with violence from others unless they have already previously been exposed to it. Having confidence in certain skills to defend yourself can make your first exposure to violence less of a shock though.

The rape culture that's prevalent on social media is a form of bullying that exploits this conditioned fear instilled into women and girls by worried parents. Bullies will use any weakness that they can. Threatening rape on social media, which thankfully doesn't happen here, is an easy way for immature and inadequate young boys to immediately gain power over other people to compensate for the lack of agency they have in their own lives.
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
15-05-2014, 03:58 PM
(15-05-2014 03:13 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I think we are getting mind-raped by this evil and damaged prick.

No, no. Mind rape happens in incredibly traumatic circumstances.

What we're going through is face-palm induced brain damage.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 3 users Like Free Thought's post
15-05-2014, 04:01 PM
He's not mind raping me.

He doesn't have enough thrust for that.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
15-05-2014, 04:06 PM
(15-05-2014 04:01 PM)Charis Wrote:  He's not mind raping me.

He doesn't have enough thrust for that.

You're killing me Rolleyes

...just when we were about to leave all this raping behind Tongue

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 2 users Like John's post
15-05-2014, 04:10 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 05:20 PM by djhall.)
(15-05-2014 01:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The context is the bible. You take a verse from it and argue that it is representative of God while omitting the rest of the thirty thousand plus verses.

Ask yourself while you read:

Is this what I would expect to read about if God existed?

Does what I am reading cohere with what I hold to be true about reality?

Does this jive with what I would expect to read if God was involved in the affairs of men thousands of years ago in the ancient near east?

The problem is when you perform the activities referenced above in the most important and relevant context: the work of an omnipotent, omnipresent, omnipowerful, loving creator and fixer of his creation... the very embodiment of perfection in all that he is and all that he does.

The relevant context is deciding if the bible can credibly claim to be the most perfect words to describe the most perfect plan for the most perfect creation of the most perfect being that is the very embodiment of ultimate knowledge, power, love, and compassion. In that context, the bible story is absurd. Don't get me wrong... it is a remarkable piece of work in the context of the humans of the time. Things like taking captive women and allowing them a mourning period before taking them as wives instead of slaves was very forward thinking and admirable at the time. But that limited forward thinking is far too backward and barbaric for god. God doesn't get to claim that kind of context.

Jesus is my Stalker: He has graced me with his unconditional love, but if I reject it and refuse to love him in return, he will make my life Hell.
[+] 1 user Likes djhall's post
15-05-2014, 04:11 PM
(15-05-2014 01:50 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  The context is the bible. You take a verse from it and argue that it is representative of God while omitting the rest of the thirty thousand plus verses.

You fail

Whoa!!!! whoa, whoa, whoa, back up the hermeneutics horse hearse!

Try that again? Could you please go into a LITTLE BETTER detail on how biblical context or any sort of context works? because what you did there? wow. just wow.

Fixed that for you. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post