Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
15-05-2014, 07:49 PM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(15-05-2014 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 06:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  This does not mean that a Nihilist doesn't value continuing with their own life, and it does not mean that a Nihilist cannot arbitrarily assign a purpose for themselves if they choose to do so.

I like to think it's rational and not arbitrary.
Yes, well. Arbitrary in the sense that there is no objective answer rather than in the sense that it is random.

Defining what exactly is rational is another ball game.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
15-05-2014, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 08:28 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-05-2014 07:49 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I like to think it's rational and not arbitrary.
Yes, well. Arbitrary in the sense that there is no objective answer rather than in the sense that it is random.

Defining what exactly is rational is another ball game.

There really is no such thing as a "nihilist". There are many subconscious patterns firing and the subconscious war is going on, no matter what a "nihilist" claims to value or not. There is no way to totally eradicate all learning, and past influences. Nihilism is a fiction.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2014, 08:24 PM
(15-05-2014 06:34 PM)djhall Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 06:29 PM)Charis Wrote:  I like cheerios.

Crispix are better.

And Lucky Charms are the best.

Followed very closely by Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
15-05-2014, 08:25 PM
(15-05-2014 08:24 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 06:34 PM)djhall Wrote:  Crispix are better.

And Lucky Charms are the best.

Followed very closely by Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

You have good taste!
Don't forget Golden Grahams.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 2 users Like Charis's post
15-05-2014, 08:27 PM
(15-05-2014 07:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nihilism is a fiction.

Yes, But I've found it to be a useful one. Tongue

#sigh
15-05-2014, 08:30 PM
(15-05-2014 01:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:09 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  The fact that you threw "wrathful" in there is interesting. I can see "Just". A lot of people use concepts of "justice" to explain why God does "bad thing", but wrath is completely incomparable with compassion or love. Holy seems rather hollow, as in, it has no meaning outside of supposed divine nature. It would be like describing God as "god-like".

Also, this list seems rather post hoc, as in, you created it after already assuming your god has these qualities. I bet if the Bible didn't include all the wrathful stories of genocides, you wouldn't have added wrath to your list.

When I say wrath, I do not mean wrath in the sense you imagine it. I see wrath as flowing from God's Just nature which are demanded by His holiness and righteousness. Wrath is the expression of hate and judgment against the profane and wicked. I myself as a human hate wickedness and when I see people subjected to it desire to make it right. How much more would a God who is Holy who can see all the wrongs and evils committed in the earth desire to make it right by assigning to the wicked that which their deeds merit?

And yet you come here and attempt to perpetrate your own sort of wickedness on the good folks who gather here.

Pathetic that you can't see that.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-05-2014, 08:32 PM
(15-05-2014 08:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 07:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Nihilism is a fiction.

Yes, But I've found it to be a useful one. Tongue

Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2014, 08:35 PM
(15-05-2014 01:48 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Your fairy tale monster ordering the destruction of whole peoples. In the face of your claim that your fairy tale monster wouldn't do such a thing, or order YOU do to such a thing.

Word. Salad.

The context is the bible. You take a verse from it and argue that it is representative of God while omitting the rest of the thirty thousand plus verses.

Thanks for demonstrating that you don't understand fuck-all about context. Or about quote-mining.

Quote:You fail

You fucking wish.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
15-05-2014, 08:38 PM
(15-05-2014 01:59 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  BLah blahblah

Read it. All of it. Without a commentary. blahblahblah...

What makes you think we haven't read the sumbitch, especially since we are ALL constantly schooling YOU on it.

15-05-2014, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2014 08:58 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(15-05-2014 02:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 01:52 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Really - what is wrong with you? Your god sounds pretty "Human" you dolt! Think about it.

God is a person.

A person, eh? Then you can bring him onto the Oprah show and have him do dog tricks for us. But you won't because you are lying.

Quote: He is a free moral agent like we are. We were created in His Image and Likeness. What we are in small, God is in large, save our sins of course.

Um any rational person would see the purported actions of your fairy tale monster, e.g., destroying all life on the planet, as pretty fucking large sins. Way larger than any human could accomplish.

(15-05-2014 02:05 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:03 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Irrelevant to the question so I'll ignore it again. Still waiting to hear why you believe in your god... Drinking Beverage

If I tell you, your materialistic mindset will demand you discard what I say as untrue a priori.

For you and I, the issue is not why I believe in God, but rather why I am not a materialist.

Oh, look -- more doubletalk from the man behind the curtain Wizard of Oz.

(15-05-2014 01:45 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How much more would a God who is Holy blahblahblah...

And just what is theis "holiness" that you speak of? It is meaningless. Especially in light of the monstrous actions attributed to your imaginary friend.

(15-05-2014 02:10 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:08 PM)Impulse Wrote:  More excuses and still no answer to the question. Drinking Beverage

And there will be none until you can tell me why materialism is true.

[Image: funny-pictures-auto-comics-logic-371546.jpeg]

(15-05-2014 02:13 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(15-05-2014 02:06 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  This is quite ironic, given the thread subject. Any such distinctions God makes are arbitrary. God is [holy], and as such he hates X. Because he is [righteous], he deems that X deserves to be met with Y. So when Got meets X with Y, it is [just].

God could have arbitrarily decided that eating a tuna fish sandwich should be met with blessings of twinkies or running red lights should be met with a bullet to the knee. He just happened to not weigh in on those issues and instead say that male on male homosexuality should be met with stones to the face not being admitted to the kingdom of God (according to the Old New Testament).

Not only is the rule and punishment system quite arbitrary, it's entirely unnecessary, given that he can see the future and is the "author of all things".

It is not arbitrary at all if God's decrees issue forth from His nature as a Holy, Righteous God.

From your own fairy tale book, it is clear to any reasonable person that your fairy tale monster is neither righteous, holy, nor a god.

(15-05-2014 02:17 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Charis, you would expect God to condemn rape if He existed would you not?

We have already seen that your fairy tale monster CONDONES AND ENCOURAGES rape, as YOU do.

(15-05-2014 02:21 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Maybe because I know quote mining is not how one goes about reading a collection of texts if one wants to know what they mean.

You don't know what the fuck quote mining is.