Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-05-2014, 05:18 AM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(16-05-2014 05:12 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 04:58 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Why assume God would be male?

What would you expect God to be like if God existed?

What kind of god? An omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god? God as described in the Bible?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2014, 05:27 AM
(16-05-2014 05:18 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:12 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What would you expect God to be like if God existed?

What kind of god? An omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent god? God as described in the Bible?

Also while we're at it, the question is rather ambiguous. Whether or not God or a god exists does not change my current expectation or lack of. So the question poses a scenario in which a god did exist and I was told in a way that could not be refuted (somehow) and that I had not yet encountered this god.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
16-05-2014, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 05:33 AM by Bible Belt Brawler.)
(16-05-2014 05:12 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 04:58 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Why assume God would be male?

What would you expect God to be like if God existed?

Well, I would expect there to not be so much suffering. What parent allows suffering and shocking inequality among their children?

If you are asking what kind of diety I would expect, given the nature of reality, it would either be none at all or one that created the universe, then left it alone. I'd vote for their being none, but I could be wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
16-05-2014, 05:42 AM
(16-05-2014 05:12 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What would you expect God to be like if God existed?

What would you expect wargarble to be like if wargarble existed?

Without any additional context, that's a pretty meaningless question. Did you mean:
  • "What would you expect the god of the Bible to be like if the god of the Bible existed?"
  • "What would you expect any particular god to be like if that god existed?"
  • "What's your perfect imagining of a god?"
  • Something else.

If we're talking about any generic god that created the universe and has some power over it, I'd say it either isn't all-loving or isn't all-powerful. Seeing as how we don't have any evidence for this god, I guess I can make up all the details as I go.

If I wanted to believe in an all-loving god, it would have to be one that has no power over this world. It loves us, but is powerless to affect things, which is why we have bad things like Tay Sachs in the world. But, somehow, it's able to whisk our souls all away to heaven when we die. Of course, I'm making this all up as I go along, so, it doesn't really matter.
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-05-2014, 06:40 AM
(16-05-2014 05:42 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

What would you expect wargarble to be like if wargarble existed?

Without any additional context, that's a pretty meaningless question. Did you mean:
  • "What would you expect the god of the Bible to be like if the god of the Bible existed?"
  • "What would you expect any particular god to be like if that god existed?"
  • "What's your perfect imagining of a god?"
  • Something else.

If we're talking about any generic god that created the universe and has some power over it, I'd say it either isn't all-loving or isn't all-powerful. Seeing as how we don't have any evidence for this god, I guess I can make up all the details as I go.

If I wanted to believe in an all-loving god, it would have to be one that has no power over this world. It loves us, but is powerless to affect things, which is why we have bad things like Tay Sachs in the world. But, somehow, it's able to whisk our souls all away to heaven when we die. Of course, I'm making this all up as I go along, so, it doesn't really matter.

I am talking about the God discussed in western philosophy.
16-05-2014, 06:41 AM
(16-05-2014 05:27 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  

Well, I would expect there to not be so much suffering. What parent allows suffering and shocking inequality among their children?

If you are asking what kind of diety I would expect, given the nature of reality, it would either be none at all or one that created the universe, then left it alone. I'd vote for their being none, but I could be wrong.

I did not ask what you would expect to see in the world if God existed.

I asked what would you expect God to be like if God existed.
16-05-2014, 06:51 AM
(16-05-2014 06:41 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:27 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  Well, I would expect there to not be so much suffering. What parent allows suffering and shocking inequality among their children?

I did not ask what you would expect to see in the world if God existed.

To answer you, a god that exists would have to be a god who does not interact with the universe, but rather coldly observes it. That is the only possible deity that could, at least with very slim odds, exist.

However, I believe it is more likely that no such entity exists, as it is beyond what can currently verified through empirical means.
[+] 3 users Like Bible Belt Brawler's post
16-05-2014, 07:00 AM
(16-05-2014 06:41 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I asked what would you expect a god to be like if gods existed.

Fixed for you.

And finally a question I can answer.

Oblivious to humans and only able to observe and act on a macro-scale. Much like we'd look at a collection of bacteria in a petri dish say.

In other words, a God that is not actually relevant to my life.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
16-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Negs.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
16-05-2014, 07:13 AM
(16-05-2014 06:51 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 06:41 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I did not ask what you would expect to see in the world if God existed.

To answer you, a god that exists would have to be a god who does not interact with the universe, but rather coldly observes it. That is the only possible deity that could, at least with very slim odds, exist.

However, I believe it is more likely that no such entity exists, as it is beyond what can currently verified through empirical means.

Why would you expect God to be a cold observer of the affairs of man?