Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-05-2014, 07:15 AM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(16-05-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 06:41 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I asked what would you expect a god to be like if gods existed.

Fixed for you.

And finally a question I can answer.

Oblivious to humans and only able to observe and act on a macro-scale. Much like we'd look at a collection of bacteria in a petri dish say.

In other words, a God that is not actually relevant to my life.

God as in the God of western philosophy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2014, 07:37 AM
(16-05-2014 05:12 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What would you expect God to be like if God existed?

An Alchemist of Aether juggling his way to existence?

But he doesn't like coconuts -- on Sundays.

Talk about a meaningless question.

What would the world look like according to your expectations if the Four Elements theory were correct? You know, the one of western philosophy. Try shoehorning that one in your modern world view, let's see what you come up with.

Just because the term 'God' makes sense to you, doesn't mean anybody else understands what it is, and it's not helpful to cite other people who at some point found the term 'God' sensical. It isn't, not before you define it. And 'of western philosophy' is not a definition.

*Back to counting angels on pinheads*

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 7 users Like John's post
16-05-2014, 07:43 AM
(16-05-2014 07:13 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 06:51 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  To answer you, a god that exists would have to be a god who does not interact with the universe, but rather coldly observes it. That is the only possible deity that could, at least with very slim odds, exist.

However, I believe it is more likely that no such entity exists, as it is beyond what can currently verified through empirical means.

Why would you expect God to be a cold observer of the affairs of man?

If this god were truly malicious, it would either wipe out all life or torture people for pleasure for as long as possible. If this god were truly benevolent, this god would care and nurture for his/her creation and regularly reassure his/her creation of his/her existence by means that could not be readily refuted. This god would allow plenty of food and clean water to permeate the universe. It would gently guide us to true knowledge, revealing more and more as the species matured.

Since neither extreme appears to be the case, it can be assumed that a deity, if one exists, simply observes and never interacts.

Though, as I said, it would be a stretch to say one exists. Natural explanations fill in more and more gaps in our knowledge every day. Soon, a god concept won't have anywhere to fit.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
16-05-2014, 08:55 AM
(16-05-2014 07:37 AM)John Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 05:12 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  What would you expect God to be like if God existed?

An Alchemist of Aether juggling his way to existence?

What would the world look like according to your expectations if the Four Elements theory were correct? You know, the one of western philosophy. Try shoehorning that one in your modern world view, let's see what you come up with.

Just because the term 'God' makes sense to you, doesn't mean anybody else understands what it is, and it's not helpful to cite other people who at some point found the term 'God' sensical. It isn't, not before you define it. And 'of western philosophy' is not a definition.

Interesting...

So when philosophers talk about God....they are talking nonsense?

Interesting view....
16-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(16-05-2014 07:15 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:00 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Fixed for you.

And finally a question I can answer.

Oblivious to humans and only able to observe and act on a macro-scale. Much like we'd look at a collection of bacteria in a petri dish say.

In other words, a God that is not actually relevant to my life.

God as in the God of western philosophy.

Western Philosophy has a mascot?

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
16-05-2014, 09:09 AM
(16-05-2014 08:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Interesting...

Interesting view....

Certainly you are talking nonsense old bean. Don't put yourself in a class with actual philosophers. The likes of Descartes etc are light years ahead of you, despite being both dead and three hundred years old.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
16-05-2014, 09:15 AM
(16-05-2014 08:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:37 AM)John Wrote:  An Alchemist of Aether juggling his way to existence?

Interesting...

Interesting view....

This may help:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
16-05-2014, 09:19 AM
(16-05-2014 08:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:37 AM)John Wrote:  An Alchemist of Aether juggling his way to existence?

Interesting...

Interesting view....

Interesting...

So when philosophers talk about Four Elements....they are talking nonsense?

[Image: fourelementsredux.jpg]

Interesting view....

To quote yourself:

(09-05-2014 07:35 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Now you get it.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 3 users Like John's post
16-05-2014, 09:19 AM
(16-05-2014 07:15 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  God as in the God of western philosophy.
What is the God of western philosophy?
(And no, I'm not being difficult, it seriously needs clarification.)

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
16-05-2014, 09:20 AM
(16-05-2014 09:19 AM)John Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 08:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Interesting...

Interesting view....

Interesting...

So when philosophers talk about Four Elements....they are talking nonsense?

[Image: fourelementsredux.jpg]

Interesting view....

To quote yourself:

(09-05-2014 07:35 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Now you get it.
I have to admit, that was a clever catch...

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.