Jeremy Walker the nihilist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
16-05-2014, 09:23 AM
RE: Jeremy Walker the nihilist
(16-05-2014 08:55 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 07:37 AM)John Wrote:  An Alchemist of Aether juggling his way to existence?

But he doesn't like coconuts -- on Sundays.

Talk about a meaningless question.

What would the world look like according to your expectations if the Four Elements theory were correct? You know, the one of western philosophy. Try shoehorning that one in your modern world view, let's see what you come up with.

Just because the term 'God' makes sense to you, doesn't mean anybody else understands what it is, and it's not helpful to cite other people who at some point found the term 'God' sensical. It isn't, not before you define it. And 'of western philosophy' is not a definition.

*Back to counting angels on pinheads*

Interesting...

So when philosophers talk about God....they are talking nonsense?

Interesting view....

Yes, that is completely accurate. Theology, particularly, is the study of made-up things and has no connection to reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
16-05-2014, 09:37 AM
It seems that most here are more willing to be sarcastic and cynical than serious and sincere.

All of a sudden the word "God" seems to be non-sensical to you guys. Up to now you've been using it on a regular basis and talking about how He is this horrible person.

Now all of a sudden you do not know what I mean when I use the term.

I do not think all of you are as ignorant as you would have me believe you are.

I just think you do not want to answer the question.
Find all posts by this user
16-05-2014, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2014 09:57 AM by Bible Belt Brawler.)
(16-05-2014 09:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  It seems that most here are more willing to be sarcastic and cynical than serious and sincere.

All of a sudden the word "God" seems to be non-sensical to you guys. Up to now you've been using it on a regular basis and talking about how He is this horrible person.

To be honest, your god, as portrayed in the Bible, isn't a COMPLETE monster. For example, He allowed the poor to gleam the wheat from the landowner's fields every so often. If He was angry at somebody, he even shows mercy on a few occasions. However, this does not lighten the fact that he kills over 1,000,000 people, including babies who did nothing wrong, nor does it justify the sacking and razing of the tribes surrounding Israel.

What is contained in the text was likely moral genius at the time it was penned, but its values have not aged well.

Then there are the basic technical errors that a modern human wouldn't make, much less an omniscient spirit being. These errors reflect poorly upon His intellect and intentions.
That is my sincere assessment.

Just because YOU believe in fairies doesn't mean anybody else should.
[+] 1 user Likes Bible Belt Brawler's post
16-05-2014, 10:00 AM
(16-05-2014 09:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  It seems that most here are more willing to be sarcastic and cynical than serious and sincere.

Oh, the irony wrecks havoc in this one. Since when did you become the Prince of Candidness?! Pulling a straight answer out of you is like extracting water from a rock, only happens when you beat with a staff and 'God' is OK with it.

(16-05-2014 09:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  All of a sudden the word "God" seems to be non-sensical to you guys. Up to now you've been using it on a regular basis and talking about how He is this horrible person.

To the extent that anyone mentiones 'God' here, it is in reference to

1) what the Bible or some other book has to say about 'God',
2) what other people who are affiliated with this or that 'God' say about 'God'

None of us pretend to have any firm idea of what 'God' in either of these cases is supposed to be beyond what can be painfully extracted from the respective sources. Just because we can refer to BS doesn't mean we subscribe to it, nor its coherence/validity/you-name-it.

(16-05-2014 09:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Now all of a sudden you do not know what I mean when I use the term.

Quit pussyfooting around and define your frickin' terms for once and the problem will be dealt with. It's not our problem if you're not up to define your own wacky ideas.

(16-05-2014 09:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I do not think all of you are as ignorant as you would have me believe you are.

Your question has been answered earnestly several times: Your question is meaningless before you define your terms.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 7 users Like John's post
16-05-2014, 10:02 AM
(16-05-2014 09:54 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  

To be honest, your god, as portrayed in the Bible, isn't a COMPLETE monster. For example, He allowed the poor to gleam the wheat from the landowner's fields every so often. If He was angry at somebody, he even shows mercy on a few occasions. However, this does not lighten the fact that he kills over 1,000,000 people, including babies who did nothing wrong, nor does it justify the sacking and razing of the tribes surrounding Israel.

What is contained in the text was likely moral genius at the time it was penned, but its values have not aged well.

Then there are the basic technical errors that a modern human wouldn't make, much less an omniscient spirit being. These errors reflect poorly upon His intellect and intentions.

I will be talking only with you in this thread from here on out.

Start with giving me an exhaustive list of these techincal errors God made.
16-05-2014, 10:09 AM
(16-05-2014 10:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(16-05-2014 09:54 AM)Bible Belt Brawler Wrote:  To be honest, your god, as portrayed in the Bible, isn't a COMPLETE monster. For example, He allowed the poor to gleam the wheat from the landowner's fields every so often. If He was angry at somebody, he even shows mercy on a few occasions. However, this does not lighten the fact that he kills over 1,000,000 people, including babies who did nothing wrong, nor does it justify the sacking and razing of the tribes surrounding Israel.

I will be talking only with you in this thread from here on out.

Start with giving me an exhaustive list of these techincal errors God made.

Anyone who likes can comment in here. It isn't the boxing ring. If you don't wish to answer that's cool but we can talk to/at you Smile ... and contradict you too!

Please define God? An exhaustable list of his physical appearance, powers and traits that all Christians agree on and support it with evidence. That's evidence, not the Bible, as the Bible is part of the claim.
Drinking Beverage

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
16-05-2014, 10:39 AM
(16-05-2014 10:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I will be talking only with you in this thread from here on out.

Start with giving me an exhaustive list of these techincal[sic] errors God made.

[Image: tumblr_mrr7qdMDyE1sdl4iqo1_400.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-05-2014, 10:44 AM
(16-05-2014 09:37 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  All of a sudden the word "God" seems to be non-sensical to you guys. Up to now you've been using it on a regular basis and talking about how He is this horrible person.

This is why we need you to define your "God". Now you say He is a person! WTF!

You are so confused I think you need to define this "person/God" for your own sake.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
16-05-2014, 11:03 AM
(16-05-2014 10:02 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  Start with giving me an exhaustive list of these techincal errors God made.

@BibleBeltBrawler

Maybe Jeremy can give you his address so you can mail him a copy of the Bible? He can then begin on page one...

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
16-05-2014, 11:07 AM
(16-05-2014 06:40 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I am talking about the God discussed in western philosophy.

I'd probably go with something like "a capricious monster who is bad at communication and has massive self esteem problems".

My reasoning:

Capricious: He sometimes lets slights go unpunished for thousands of years, and other times murders everyone involved. His murder sprees frequently kill bystanders, and sometimes even spare some of the guilty party at the same time, seemingly for no reason. His rules and enforcement are arbitrary, and you have no reason to believe he will behave a particular way when presented with the same situation twice.

Monster: See the above-mentioned killings. Also Tay Sachs. We're told that exists because of "mysterious ways", but at the end of the day, he allows or causes children to die in horrifying ways for unstated reasons.

Poor at communication: See the above-mentioned mysterious ways. No one knows what they are. Also, he waits for thousands of years before giving various decrees, which were supposedly super important all along. In addition, his prophesies are often vague to the point of being useless.

Massive self esteem problems: The most common excuse I hear for free will is that we need to be free to make choices so that God can know we love him. If we weren't free to rape each other, God wouldn't know if we loved him unless we opted not to rape each other, or something. Ergo, these atrocities are allowed so that God can know who his real friends are. Also, he supposedly answers prayers for help. Given that he caused or allowed the problem to happen in the first place, if he only intervenes when asked, he is causing or allowing problems for the sole purpose to fix them. I had a roommate like that in college once, and everyone hated him.

I'm sure I could find some positive attributes to attach as well, but there's not much point. When someone does a bunch of good and bad things completely irrespective of each other, they tend to be remembered for the bad stuff. We don't typically have the good cancel out the bad if the bad was unnecessary. For example: if I build ten orphanages and blew one up, I'd be known as Rob the Child Killer and not Rob the Orphanage Builder.
[+] 8 users Like RobbyPants's post