Poll: Do you think she is right to file a lawsuit?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Jessica Alhquist Lawsuit

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Jessica Alhquist Lawsuit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXpASqKbrTM

Has anyone else been following this story, what do people think. Is she fighting a necessary battle or being pedantic?

I, personally, am 100% behind her but I'd love to hear what other people think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 06:06 PM

RE: Jessica Alhquist Lawsuit
It's not a parochial school. And I dare say if Ms. Alhquist published an atheists poem on a banner and expected it to be given equal respect on school grounds for decades into the future, or even a banner bearing an atheist symbol, she'd be reprimanded at the very least and disciplined in any number of ways. The worst scenario being expulsion. While all that would come to bear would appear on her permanent record and thus follow her even into her pursuits for college or university.

I would hope she's not the only atheist daring to take issue. And I'd hope those who are atheists, including their parents, would join her in solidarity for the cause.

I wish her every success. If people want to pray to God in school, they can do so in private in their own mind and thought. A banner asking for special attention to a tradition of intolerance and bigotry, isn't exactly a cornerstone teaching for the children who are in a government funded school system, upon who's shoulders the hope of all Americans including atheists, agnostics, pagans and deists depend. There are more people in the world than Christians. It's time to teach the school system there, the truth of that. Wink
Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 06:27 PM
It's really not that hard, let's not shove religion(and that includes non-denominational stuff, that's not an out) into school. It reads:

Quote:School Prayer

Our Heavenly Father,
Grant us each day the desire to do our best, to grow mentally and morally as well as physically, to be kind and helpful to our classmates and teachers, to be honest with ourselves as well as others, help us to be good sports and smile when we lose as well as when we win, teach us the value of true friendship, help us always to conduct ourselves so as to bring credit to Cranston High School West.

Amen

First of all, it occurs to me aside from being in prayer formate, the actual message isn't religious. It could just as well read:

Quote:School Statement

We strive each day for the desire to do our best, to grow mentally and morally as well as physically, to be kind and helpful to our classmates and teachers, to be honest with ourselves as well as others, help us to be good sports and smile when we lose as well as when we win, teach us the value of true friendship, help us always to conduct ourselves so as to bring credit to Cranston High School West.

And then we wouldn't be here. And they even admit that it's Christian too. They say it's okay though, because it's non-denominational. As though there's no such thing as a non-Christian. Couple of other excuses are that "It's part of our history" and "It was a gift from a student". I'm glad that she's standing up and I'm confident that she'll win. Prayer in school usually doesn't fly in courts.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
26-04-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm not sure I agree she'd be punished for pushing for an atheist symbol in the school, but I don't think that is even the point. The First Amendment prohibits the establishment of religion and the words "heavenly father" clearly indicate a belief in a god, which is, by definition, the establishment of religion in general. Sadly, the courts have not traditionally seen it that way - general allusions to a "god" without taking a stance as to whether its the christian, jewish, etc. version have been held to be ok - but I'm behind her 100%. I wish her the very best of luck.

I think ultimately she will lose this case but if we keep pushing back on these issues inevitably the tide will turn. Sometimes it pays to rage against the machine if just for the purpose of wearing it down.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-04-2011, 07:04 PM

Well, then the courts are traditionally wrong and in violation of the spirit of the 1st amendment.

That "god" exists at all in the banner and that it's worded as a prayer by the preamble itself, indicates it's talking about the Christian god because that's the usual address afforded their god that resides in heaven.The Amen at the closing, seals the deal.

Besides that, any allusion to deity is in violation of separation of church and State in a government funded public secular school system, because deity is particular to religion. There doesn't have to be a specific sect or faith attached to the title of god, in this case, when god is an exclusive religious identity.

If she loses, with the backing she has thus far, hopefully she'll take it all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. One of the best ways to break errant tradition is to break the habit of apathy when handed a loss. That's why wrong doing, especially in the case of allowing public schools to maintain the spirit of parochialism, continues long enough to be deemed traditional in the first place.

The 1st is traditional too! Wink
26-04-2011, 07:09 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2011 06:38 AM by Hughsie.)
She can't lose on the 'in not necessarily the Christian God' argument. However ambiguous they claim the reference to God is, I'm pretty sure they can't claim that its a reference to a Buddhist God (would piss myself if they did though lol).
26-04-2011, 07:23 PM
(26-04-2011 07:09 PM)hughsie Wrote:  She can't lose on the 'in not necessarily the Christian God' argument. However ambiguous they claim the reference to God is, I'm pretty sure they claim that its a reference to a Buddhist God (would piss myself if they did though lol).

Made even worse by the fact that there is no God in Buddhism. But you know they'll try anyway. What about Pagans and the Goddess?

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
26-04-2011, 10:57 PM

(26-04-2011 07:23 PM)aesirus Wrote:  
(26-04-2011 07:09 PM)hughsie Wrote:  She can't lose on the 'in not necessarily the Christian God' argument. However ambiguous they claim the reference to God is, I'm pretty sure they claim that its a reference to a Buddhist God (would piss myself if they did though lol).

Made even worse by the fact that there is no God in Buddhism. But you know they'll try anyway. What about Pagans and the Goddess?

Oh now, we know that if that banner at it's original stage had been made with a pentacle and a reference to any Pagan Deity, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now because the banner would have never seen the light of day in that school.
Especially to have come into being as long ago as the one in question now, did.

Cries of, "Satan!" would have filled the halls. And the student creator would have been a memory in short order, for bringing Satanic cult influences into a learning facility.
27-04-2011, 06:13 AM
As someone who went to a catholic school I say good luck to her religion has no place in schools. You go to school to learn you go to church to learn about religion keep them separate.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
27-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow major error on my previous post.

I'm pretty sure they claim that its a reference to a Buddhist God (would piss myself if they did though lol).

This was supposed to say;

I'm pretty sure they claim CANT that its a reference to a Buddhist God (would piss myself if they did though lol).

Talk about a stupid mistake to make lol