Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Jesus?
So getting past the arguments of his existence, his miracles, and whatever else, I'm curious to know what people here think about the character of Jesus as shown through the 4 Gospels in the New Testament.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2011, 10:20 PM
RE: Jesus?
I think he knew about as much as the average person living 2000 years ago did, he didn't know anything exceptional that only the son of god could. He gave some alright advice, a bit of good advice, and some really quite daft advice. If you want to cherry pick the moral teachings of Jesus (supposedly) and run with them, then great. We could actually solve a few problems like that.
As for the sacrifice thing, I think that is immoral and vile, but thats the beauty of being a religious moderate, you can cherry pick and ignore stuff you don't like.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
06-04-2011, 10:42 PM
If you follow the advice of a man who shouts at trees, you know what your getting.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
07-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Jesus of the bible is a fictional character. I do not have any belief that he is based on any real person. If he is based on a real person, it would be very loosely.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Actually, I think Jesus was based on several persons. I'm not sure how many of you have watched The Secret Bible: Rivals of Jesus. There were a lot of different Jesuses in that time, and different small religions similar to Christianity, so in 325 A.D. they collected all those religions and made Jesus and Christianity as we know it today, so they united all the small religions into one big one and that made them politically powerful. So Jesus as we know it is fictional, but some things are taken from real persons...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
07-04-2011, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 01:01 AM by BlackEyedGhost.)
(07-04-2011 12:11 AM)No J. Wrote:  Jesus of the bible is a fictional character. I do not have any belief that he is based on any real person. If he is based on a real person, it would be very loosely.

As I said, I'm not interested in the arguments of his existence, merely what your opinions of the character are. Whether or not you see him as fictional.
(06-04-2011 10:42 PM)Norseman Wrote:  If you follow the advice of a man who shouts at trees, you know what your getting.

So you see him as a nutcase then?
(06-04-2011 10:20 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  I think he knew about as much as the average person living 2000 years ago did, he didn't know anything exceptional that only the son of god could. He gave some alright advice, a bit of good advice, and some really quite daft advice. If you want to cherry pick the moral teachings of Jesus (supposedly) and run with them, then great. We could actually solve a few problems like that.
As for the sacrifice thing, I think that is immoral and vile, but thats the beauty of being a religious moderate, you can cherry pick and ignore stuff you don't like.

I'm interested what specific advice you may be referring to in each instance, but particularly the daft advice.
07-04-2011, 01:10 AM
Well, even if Jesus existed, I dont see him moraly superior to any other human being, if I remember correclty some of their teachings are not so different from the old testament laws, because in Luke, Jesus said that everyone who does not accept him as their king must be killed in his presence, also in Mathew, Jesus said that nothing changes from the old testament, he didnt come to ignore the ancient laws and prophets, he came to fulfill the prophecies and laws from the ancient testament. So the bottom line is; I dont think Jesus as a character is moraly superior. His character was based on human conceptions and judgments of that time. Peace

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2011, 01:32 AM
@MasterRottweiler
Your first reference is an interesting one. I'm not sure what to say about it, so I'll move to the next one. Jesus changed everything by upholding the old testament law. By being sinless He made it possible to free us from our sins. He didn't change the law, but rather fulfilled its requirements in order that we wouldn't have to. That fulfilled the requirements for everyone throughout time including those in the old testament. So everything changed for us while God didn't. Anyways, I know you didn't ask for that explanation, but there it is none the less.
[+] 1 user Likes BlackEyedGhost's post
07-04-2011, 01:41 AM
@BlackEyedGhost

Thanks for your explanation I appreciate it, don't worry If I didn't ask for it.

But the point of the second reference is; if Jesus upholded the ancient laws from the old testament, then we have a big problem, if he came to uphold the ancient laws, then, homosexuality and "heresy" for example, still deserve death penalty because in Leviticus and Deuteronomy those were sins that must be punished with death, also incest, genocide, infanticide, slavery, etc are still valid in the new testament because those were old testament's elements.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes MasterRottweiler's post
07-04-2011, 11:03 AM
(07-04-2011 01:32 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  @MasterRottweiler
Your first reference is an interesting one. I'm not sure what to say about it, so I'll move to the next one. Jesus changed everything by upholding the old testament law. By being sinless He made it possible to free us from our sins. He didn't change the law, but rather fulfilled its requirements in order that we wouldn't have to. That fulfilled the requirements for everyone throughout time including those in the old testament. So everything changed for us while God didn't. Anyways, I know you didn't ask for that explanation, but there it is none the less.

The character Jesus thought all the things you wrote in this post. He believed them. For that reason, I think Jesus was a delusional nutcase, in serious need of therapy and very heavy medication.

So many cats, so few good recipes.