Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2011, 11:27 AM
RE: Jesus?
I would have to agree with Stark Raving. Jesus lived and spoke like a man who thought the end of days would come at any time.

He really did beleive what he said he believed. He was insane.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2011, 01:08 PM

(Seems a good thread for my first post on this forum.)

I'll bite on the idea of analyzing Jesus as a character in a story. I think he's a jerk. He is a complete and total a$$ to his mother, complains constantly about his "friends" the disciples, and generally demonstrates an entitled and rude attitude. I find this completely in contrast with all his teachings on the importance of humilty and honoring your father and mother and demonstrating compassion to others...

Summary: Jesus was a dick.
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2011, 01:20 PM
WHen I read the gospels, he seemed to have quite heavy mood swings. He'd go from a friendly healer to a tree killer. :F Some of his teachings are good, but he's constantly talking about the afterlife; ''Accept me or go to gell''.

Let's say that a new messiah like Jesus would appear on earth today. He'd be in a mental institute quite quickly.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
[+] 1 user Likes Kikko's post
07-04-2011, 03:43 PM
(06-04-2011 10:16 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  So getting past the arguments of his existence, his miracles, and whatever else, I'm curious to know what people here think about the character of Jesus as shown through the 4 Gospels in the New Testament.

I was never taught anything about the Gospels so I guess I can't really say one way or the other. I was taught growing up that Jesus was a person who stood up for the weak and the sick. I always like that character. In recent years though I've questioned weather or not there was ever actually a person named Jesus. There really is no concrete evidence that he existed at all.

As far as the whole "Jesus is the savior" "Jesus is the son of God" part of it. I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood and went to a Jewish school. Half of my family is Jewish and my parents are atheists. I didn't hear the story of the resurrection until I was 12 and at that point I was old enough to see the foolishness in it.
07-04-2011, 04:14 PM
The character of Jesus was meant to portray an unobtainable level of perfection that all men should strive for (I intentionally only used men as the reference since the bible instructs women to be obedient). I do not think that a single individual named "Jesus" was the basis for the modern perception of the son of god. Having said that I agree with most of the other posters that trying to find a moral justification for the New Testament being superior to the Old Testament is irrelevant. Even if a single individual named Jesus was preaching to the masses he would have done so using Old Testament scripture. Like I said in my first sentence, I think the character was to portray perfection (as it was seen at the time) and that others should listen to him and be like him. Basically I feel like the story of Jesus is the same as every other story in the bible...a metaphor meant to portray a moral lesson. I do not think that anyone should take any story or any person in the bible literally. Before I became an atheist I had already decided that Jesus was no more than a character meant to portray the virtuous side of all that is good but is tragically stabbed in the back by the people he trusts...kind of like King Arthur.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
07-04-2011, 04:27 PM
The character of Jesus seems to be a violent, lawless, contradictory figure. In John, chp 2, he ransacks a Jewish temple for the hell of it, and in Matthew, chp 10, he says that he has come to set family members against each other. He also tells his disciples to sell everything they have, yet he allows himself to be anointed with expensive oils (Mark 14:3, Matthew 26:7).

I also agree that he seems to be a bit of a nutcase. In Mark 11:23, he says that if someone believes hard enough, if they tell a mountain to jump into the sea, it will. Which is just ridiculous.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
07-04-2011, 06:16 PM

The NT Jesus, purely a contrivance gleaned from the imaginings and boast for power by Paul, who wrote 2/3rds of the NT and never met Jesus.

The Rabbi Yeshua ben Yoseph who ultimately met his fate along with certain of his fellows, after being stoned and then hung on the eve of Passover and who's not truly represented in the Christian NT, was a real person whom no credible Bible Scholar refutes did exist.
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2011, 07:26 PM
(07-04-2011 12:57 AM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  
(06-04-2011 10:42 PM)Norseman Wrote:  If you follow the advice of a man who shouts at trees, you know what your getting.

So you see him as a nutcase then?

I think the teachings of Jesus who are worth following are self evident, and if you should try to teach them to someone you should find some other way than referring them to Jesus, since you could give them the impression that everything he says is worth following. You can't teach anyone about morality by referring to an authority figure, because morality is not absolute, and to give someone that impression is in itself immoral.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
07-04-2011, 08:11 PM
I think he was probably a good sailor and maybe knew a thing or two about eastern medicine.

"Walking on water" reminds me of the line "he steers his ship as though walking on water" which was in an old book I read written about a ship's captain in the 1700s.

And if he knew a thing or two about non-western medicine it wouldn't be hard to convince some ignorant primitives that he was magical.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
07-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Either way Jesus didn't hold a candle to Saint Francis, who gave up his rich life to be more humble and focused on helping others and animals. Saint Francis is generally seen as the saint who was closest to Jesus, but he's a better man.

Who is the more amazingly uncorrupted person? The one who does everything because they already know it, or the one who has no idea if they're right and just believes it is right? In the bible Jesus knew what would happen anybody could follow rules if they had a cheat sheet.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.