"Jesus Calling" and other books that Xians read rather than the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2013 04:02 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
"Jesus Calling" and other books that Xians read rather than the bible
Earlier today I saw this picture a friend posted on Facebook
[Image: 1371466_10200597595488039_620820943_n.jp...e=529B1BCA]

This is a post made by a theist friend of mine. She constaintly post things like this. Passages and photos from books "about" the bible, or "God"/"Jesus", rather than things from the bible itself. I find this more annoying than when they actually post scripture, because that's actually from their book. This sort of stuff is just fluff, so they don't actually have to read what the bible actually says, but still claim that they do.

Example...this friend of mine, is actually a girl that sometime ago a different friend of mine, Megan, set me up with (it didn't take). After that was over I mentioned to Megan, who knows this girl is extremely religious, that the girl she set me up with doesn't know what she's talking about, at all, when it comes to the bible. She only reads these books about the bible, but doesn't actually know what is really in it. She makes out as though as though she has such a deep connection with it, and is so studied, but she only reads the books, that put in "nice" bits of it, and at best she may (but probably not) look up that, and only that, specific verse and read it in the bible, but never look at any of the rest of the chapter around it, or read anything else in the bible other than what is in these fluffy books of it, so really, despite being a devout believer who is constantly reading about the bible, never actually reads the bible itself.

My friend, Megan, the one who set me up with this girl, disagreed with me, says that she reads all the time and she know so much about it. Megan, who is a theist too, probably has never opened a bible in her life, so she's a bit worse but at least doesn't claim to know it so well, and almost never brings religion up at all, though she admires this girl's devotion as a theist. The problem is, that both of these girls, on complete opposite ends of the religious spectrum, while still being on the religious spectrum, have know idea what they actually believe in, because one, doesn't bother to read about it, just thinks about how awesome it all is, and the other, who does read a lot about it, still, just reads stuff that people like my other friend write about it. It's just people who do not read the bible, writing books for people who are willing to read, but now they can read something easier, and more enjoyable than the bible.

I don't believe that I, as an atheist, should ever know more about their book than they do, but it's because they read all this fluffy stuff about the bible all the time, rather than actually reading the book itself.

That being said, I took the time to write the passage from the book in the photo, and color in the parts that actually come from the bible themselves. But note, even the colored parts, may not actually say, in the bible, what they seem to say here. The first one is not even "God" talking in the bible, but someone saying this about "God". And the third colored part, is actually a letter to a specific church back then, talking about them specifically.

Worship me only, I am King of kings, and Lord of lords, dwelling in unappropriated Light. I am taking care of you! I am not only committed to taking care of you, I am absolutely capable of doing so.

Though self-flagellation has gone out of style, many of My children drive themselves like racehorses. They whip themselves into action, ignoring how exhausted they are. They forget that I am sovereign, and that My ways are higher than theirs. Underneath their driven service, they may secretly resent Me as a harsh taskmaster. Their worship of Me is lukewarm, because I am no longer their First Love.

My invitation never changes: Come to Me, all you who are weary and I will give you rest. Worship Me by resting peacefully in My presence.

1 Timothy 6:15-16; Isaiah 55:8-9; Revelation 2:4; Matthew 11:28

The vast majority of that was written by some person, who claims to have direct communion with "God" and that "God" has directly inspired her to write this, that "God" speaks to her to write this. This sounds very much how people claim the bible was written. Is this not sacrilegious? To take the prewritten word of God, chop it up into out of context bits, collage it back together in a way that changes it’s biblical meaning, filling in the gaps with what the author claims are her own, personally revealed, “inspired word of God”, and then present it as “something more than just the bible” (she says she wrote it because she was looking for more of a connection with "God" than she was getting out of the bible), and to presume to speak for God. To write as Jesus, in the first person? She claims this was direct communication from God, directly to her pen, and she writes new words “from God” as from the mouth of Jesus. Is this not problematic? Why not simply read the bible?

And if we are to believe that this is true, that she is writing messages from Jesus to share with all the Christians (which is her claim for the book) then would that not make this a new part of the bible? I don't know why, a true believer would ever read this type of stuff. It seems hypocritical.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2013, 04:21 PM
RE: "Jesus Calling" and other books that Xians read rather than the bible
I thought JC himself was fairly down on the idea of anyone else adding to the Bible / the Law, though of course even if we accept the gospels at face value the apostles themselves couldn't resist the siren call of writing incomprehensible drivel to be held up as divinely inspired.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Just fanfiction. That's all.

God was gracious enough to tell us exactly what he's like in the bible, but a lot of that doesn't quite resonate with today's christians, so they write this fluff to help mold his image into what they prefer to imagine he would be like.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
29-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah these books are what I used to call "seeker sensitive" books. It's a PR enhancement of the image of Jesus and of what Christians should do ignoring all the uncomfortable passages almost always right in the context.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
29-11-2013, 11:36 PM
These books, to me, seem to represent the average Christian's thought. They just think, key word being think, about how awesome "God"/"Jesus" is. That's it...Just imagine what he is to you, and whatever you imagine is good enough for reality.

30-11-2013, 08:53 AM
(29-11-2013 04:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  I thought JC himself was fairly down on the idea of anyone else adding to the Bible / the Law, though of course even if we accept the gospels at face value the apostles themselves couldn't resist the siren call of writing incomprehensible drivel to be held up as divinely inspired.

My understanding is it was one of the Johns (no one knows which one) who wrote Revelation who had the objection to anything being added or taken away from the words. Whether that pertains to just that book or the Bible in its entirety is unsure... like most of Revelation.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
30-11-2013, 09:43 AM
(30-11-2013 08:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-11-2013 04:21 PM)morondog Wrote:  I thought JC himself was fairly down on the idea of anyone else adding to the Bible / the Law, though of course even if we accept the gospels at face value the apostles themselves couldn't resist the siren call of writing incomprehensible drivel to be held up as divinely inspired.

My understanding is it was one of the Johns (no one knows which one) who wrote Revelation who had the objection to anything being added or taken away from the words. Whether that pertains to just that book or the Bible in its entirety is unsure... like most of Revelation.

Which is funny, because it's Revelations that loops back around and says the serpent in the Garden of Eden was Satan. If this John is against revisionism, he needs to check himself... Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
30-11-2013, 10:53 AM
(29-11-2013 11:14 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  Yeah these books are what I used to call "seeker sensitive" books. It's a PR enhancement of the image of Jesus and of what Christians should do ignoring all the uncomfortable passages almost always right in the context.

You mean it's made-up shit on top of made-up shit?Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-11-2013, 01:16 PM
(30-11-2013 09:43 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-11-2013 08:53 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  My understanding is it was one of the Johns (no one knows which one) who wrote Revelation who had the objection to anything being added or taken away from the words. Whether that pertains to just that book or the Bible in its entirety is unsure... like most of Revelation.

Which is funny, because it's Revelations that loops back around and says the serpent in the Garden of Eden was Satan. If this John is against revisionism, he needs to check himself... Drinking Beverage

No, see, it's cool when he does it, because he knows what he's doing. He just doesn't want anyone wrecking his book.

That, or maybe he forgot to close the document when he was done. "This document is currently opened by user John_69_69 and has been opened as read-only."
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
30-11-2013, 02:52 PM
(30-11-2013 01:16 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That, or maybe he forgot to close the document when he was done. "This document is currently opened by user John_69_69 and has been opened as read-only."

Man those were the days. Your box not working, you sacrificed a goat to reboot that shit! We didn't even have Ctrl-Alt-Delete. 'Stead we had some dev who'd been id'd by management as the most underperforming getting nailed to bits of wood in an attempt to do a hard reset...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post