Jesus Camp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2017, 08:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2017 09:53 PM by Cosmo.)
Jesus Camp
Full thing is on YouTube for your viewing horror.

Please do not quote the movie if you should choose to quote my OP on page one as it shifts the movie into your quote bubble and out of the OP depending on what browser is doing the decoding.

Thanks a lot in advance. Smile

This is an exposé into what is likely the third or fourth most horrifying aspect of Christianity: the brainwashing of children; behind child rape, murderous theocracy, and potentially some other nasty bit that I've forgotten.

Hope you enjoy it in whatever capacity that it's possible to do so. It brought back some difficult memories, but I felt like I had a better sense of why the thought patterns of the extremely religious are so deeply ingrained. I deeply believed in God and went to a Church that taught biblical 'truth,' but my religious experience was not as nocuous or extreme as what I saw here.

Anyways, Regards. Smile

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Cosmo's post
01-07-2017, 12:58 AM
RE: Jesus Camp
Best way for virus to propagate - infect them when they're young.

It's another reason for church to fall and religion cease to exist.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
01-07-2017, 04:05 AM
I watched the movie years ago. It made me so sad to watch those kids. How is it not child abuse?
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
01-07-2017, 05:18 AM
This is just a sophisticated form of Child Abuse.

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
[+] 2 users Like Ruby Crystal's post
01-07-2017, 11:02 AM
(01-07-2017 04:05 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I watched the movie years ago. It made me so sad to watch those kids. How is it not child abuse?

When clothed in belief you can get away with pretty much anything. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
01-07-2017, 11:18 AM
The only movie I've ever watched where the Director Commentary added, rather than took away from, the experience.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
01-07-2017, 11:43 AM
oh yes, that documentary is horrifying.

The part where they make the children proselytize makes me so, so sad.

I looked up all of the kids and most of them still seem to be heavily indoctrinated.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
01-07-2017, 11:44 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/ju...ears-later

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
01-07-2017, 02:19 PM
The closest I came to this was a one-week Bible Camp in northern Wisconsin. I remember there was a (re)dedication ceremony toward the end, at dusk. The counselors built a bonfire on the lakeshore and everyone was supposed to go and throw a bit of wood into the fire as a symbol of their (re)dedication to god. Oddly, they called these bits of wood "faggots". I of course don't know if this was intentional or not (the derogatory slang for homosexual derives from the original meaning of "a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel") but in retrospect it seems suspicious. At any rate, the thing I can be sure of is that this harnessed the power of social participation and peer pressure to get each and every one of us to verbally pledge fealty and total dedication to the deity. We all left either "sold out to god" or feeling like we should be.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
03-07-2017, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 09:28 AM by Cosmo.)
(01-07-2017 02:19 PM)mordant Wrote:  The closest I came to this was a one-week Bible Camp in northern Wisconsin. I remember there was a (re)dedication ceremony toward the end, at dusk. The counselors built a bonfire on the lakeshore and everyone was supposed to go and throw a bit of wood into the fire as a symbol of their (re)dedication to god. Oddly, they called these bits of wood "faggots". I of course don't know if this was intentional or not (the derogatory slang for homosexual derives from the original meaning of "a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel") but in retrospect it seems suspicious. At any rate, the thing I can be sure of is that this harnessed the power of social participation and peer pressure to get each and every one of us to verbally pledge fealty and total dedication to the deity. We all left either "sold out to god" or feeling like we should be.

I had a very similar experience at the summer camps I attended in that regard. Often the services would end in what the ministers referred to as an altar call, and these altar calls, (where everyone was to come to the front of the stage and often get people's hands put on them, prayed for and whatnot) often incorporated some symbolic ritual exactly in the way you described. Writing sins on a small sheet of paper anonymously and nailing them to a cross up at the front of the church was the most vivid memory I have. Another one that makes me cringe when I think of it is one minister I dealt with over summer attempted to force the whole congregation to speak in tongues during a lesson on the Holy Spirit.

Cringy. Sad my experience still had no political edge to it, and no guilt factor or 'Harry Potter would be put to death' type nonsense. There was a fear factor though. Hell was taught from an early age. I have vivid memories of begging God not to send me to hell when I was very small. I don't remember how old.

I think it honestly was because I was a little Christian boy who had just started wanking if I'm gonna be candid (it's the internet Tongue ) so I had to have been 11 or 12, and seriously frightened of being punished by God for masturbating. That's actually kind of sad. Sadcryface That's a pretty normal thing for a boy that age to do, and I felt horrendous about having a normal sex drive.

Anyways, back to my point, there was no political edge, but there was definitely a lot of symbolism and serious attempts at creating culture. I wonder if they're taught all of these methods of teaching children at the Pentecostal seminaries they were endlessly advertising. I believe you have to go to one to be ordained as a Pastor. At least in Canada that is.

And I haven't seen the commentary. I can imagine it would have been interesting putting this film together.

~ The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you ~
-Neil Degrasse Tyson
[Image: stairway_to_heaven_by_tomtr.png]
~ 0 ~