Jesus Camp (2006 Film)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Jesus Camp (2006 Film)
I watched a movie last night and was DEEPLY disturbed by it's content. I don't usually watch things like this but I was curious.

The film in question: 2006 American documentary film directed by Rachel Grady and Heidi Ewing, "Jesus Camp". Currently on Netflix if you are interested in creeping yourself out. You can probably find it on YouTube or something similar as well. The film takes place in a Christian Summer Camp located in North Dakota. It focuses on three (very young) children who attend the camp in the summer of 2005.

[SPOILER ALERT]
Alright. This film was disturbing on the premise that these people are allowed to subjugate their children. Which I know is common in very Christian homes but not growing up in one, I could imagine growing up that way.

All three of the children are devote Christians and are home schools. One of the first scenes is of one of the children being taught about climate change and being persuaded by his mother that it's wrong. She proceeds to tell him that evolution is wrong and creationism is the only truth. Bangin

I believe as some point they even mention that "non-believers" should be pushed out of the country or even killed. As an atheist, that is horrifying. (Exact reason the place I live doesn't know about my lack of belief.)

This camp didn't miss a beat. By the end of it the children were taught that they need to "take back" their country, stop abortion, homosexuals are evil, and so on. Completely horrible and I can see why it's so hard to get through to these Christians after they've been brainwashed at such an early age.

Trailer:

Future Atheist right there:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like OFTwify's post
11-05-2014, 08:02 PM
RE: Jesus Camp (2006 Film)
Oh dear me, this movie. I will say well produced but still very nerve wrecking. I'll admit to seeing it like 2 or 3 times (I don't remember why) so it doesn't shock me but I do still shake my head. Especially with that part when she brings in the model of a fetus or whatever that is that she brings in (can't remember exactly). But yeah, good that it shook some people though I bet others saw it and wondered what the problem was.

[Image: notagain.gif]
11-05-2014, 08:04 PM
The level of bat shit crazy in that film is mind blowing. If I recall correctly, there was a scene where the leader told a kid about the evils of Harry Potter and said that if he were real, he would have been killed (stoned to death?) for being demon possessed.
11-05-2014, 08:21 PM
(11-05-2014 08:04 PM)beeglez Wrote:  The level of bat shit crazy in that film is mind blowing. If I recall correctly, there was a scene where the leader told a kid about the evils of Harry Potter and said that if he were real, he would have been killed (stoned to death?) for being demon possessed.

Yeah, here's the clip.

http://youtu.be/RSwZJ55g80Q
11-05-2014, 08:21 PM
So I was raised in an assembly of god church. My father is a pastor and my entire family (including distant relatives) are devout Christians. I had been sent to a camp like this one every summer until I left my parents house. I am now an out spoken atheist. I can remember thinking everything they told me there had to be the truth and feeling guilty all the time because of perfectly natural feelings and thoughts. I think these camps are a sick form of brainwashing that causes psychological problems in children. I had plenty that I still struggle with, like the thought of burning for eternity in hell... But I just really wanted to give a little perspective from an atheist who was raised in that environment and went to a camp almost exactly like that one many many times.
[+] 2 users Like Jmspencer11's post
11-05-2014, 09:17 PM
(11-05-2014 08:02 PM)Miss Suzanne Wrote:  But yeah, good that it shook some people though I bet others saw it and wondered what the problem was.

Sadly that's the problem. There are people that do not see a problem with it. Luckily there are those of us that do.

(11-05-2014 08:21 PM)Jmspencer11 Wrote:  So I was raised in an assembly of god church. My father is a pastor and my entire family (including distant relatives) are devout Christians. I had been sent to a camp like this one every summer until I left my parents house. I am now an out spoken atheist. I can remember thinking everything they told me there had to be the truth and feeling guilty all the time because of perfectly natural feelings and thoughts. I think these camps are a sick form of brainwashing that causes psychological problems in children. I had plenty that I still struggle with, like the thought of burning for eternity in hell... But I just really wanted to give a little perspective from an atheist who was raised in that environment and went to a camp almost exactly like that one many many times.

You poor thing. I guess I was lucky. My parents are both pretty non-religious. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
12-05-2014, 02:42 AM
(11-05-2014 07:56 PM)OFTwify Wrote:  Future Atheist right there:

Yeah way to kill the atmosphere! Everybody looks really uncomfortable as he's talking and looking at each other, like they sort of have to start admitting the same. The fat woman who leads them in prayer is looking at him like some kind of enemy.

I wonder what happened to him.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-05-2014, 04:30 AM
I remember when I first saw this and I was shocked. Why is this not considered child abuse? How is it even legal?

It makes me so angry. Seriously, fuck the world.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 4 users Like undergroundp's post
12-05-2014, 08:48 AM
I like that boy in the second video; he's got a good head on his shoulders. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-05-2014, 04:54 PM
(12-05-2014 02:42 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(11-05-2014 07:56 PM)OFTwify Wrote:  Future Atheist right there:

Yeah way to kill the atmosphere! Everybody looks really uncomfortable as he's talking and looking at each other,

I wonder what happened to him.

I fear he might have been subjected to even more intense brainwashing as punishment. I hope I'm wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post