Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2015, 05:04 AM
Video Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
Jesus dying for our sins serves no purpose when its his daddy that requires the death penalty for though crimes and victim-less crimes in the first place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pl1AIbUois
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mage The Entertainer's post
08-04-2015, 05:46 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(08-04-2015 05:04 AM)Mage The Entertainer Wrote:  Jesus dying for our sins serves no purpose when its his daddy that requires the death penalty for though crimes and victim-less crimes in the first place.

[video=youtube]insert YouTube video URL here to embed[/video]

Thumbsup

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-04-2015, 05:50 AM
Good points!
The very idea that god cannot tolerate sin is an admission that this god is limited. Why can't god do a simple act of forgiveness by simply not holding something against someone?
Us lowly humans do this simple act of forgiveness every day, yet it's something this god cannot do.
We demonstrate a power that this god does not have every time we forgive someone without requiring any kind of blood sacrifice.
We further demonstrate an ability this god does not have by simply not taking offense at something to begin with, we don't let it bother us! This is something FAR beyond the capability of this god.

We continue to demonstrate our ability to surpass god's ability by not requiring punishment for any alleged wrongs against us. I wouldn't require a single person to burn in hell for anything they did while on this Earth, at most, I would simply make sure their consciousness ended at death without any post-death punishment.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
08-04-2015, 10:43 AM
(08-04-2015 05:04 AM)Mage The Entertainer Wrote:  Jesus dying for our sins serves no purpose when its his daddy that requires the death penalty for though crimes and victim-less crimes in the first place.

Yet, we live in a world in which death holds the greatest significance. That great love, is a love that would lay down its life for a friend. We revere our martyrs, and our heroes who sacrificed their lives. Nothing that reminds us of the significance of our loved one's, of others, our causes, and the preciousness and meaning of our lives than death.
08-04-2015, 10:46 AM

"I hit myself in the foot with a shovel for your mortgage."

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
09-04-2015, 11:49 AM

The dogmatic stupidity runs even deeper with this one. There's the trinity for starters. It's saying, they're all one being. So Jesus is god, hence he sacrifices himself to himself to atone for sins he invented himself. And to top things off, he's talking to himself, pleading with himself before he got crucified. Speaking of personality disorder in this case is an understatement.

It makes your head spin that theists find that impressive and in any way logical.
[+] 6 users Like abaris's post
09-04-2015, 02:16 PM
It might have been a sacrifice if Jesus had gone to hell and was burning there for eternity but as the fairy story is told he ends up in cushy paradise. When a soldier sacrifices themselves for their country or a fireman dies trying to save someone from a fire, that's a true sacrifice because they didn't know in advance if they will survive. Jesus/God already knows what's going to happen, after all he's all seeing and all knowing. No sacrifice is made.

The church fathers that constructed this story didn't think it through I guess.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
09-04-2015, 02:30 PM
(09-04-2015 02:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  It might have been a sacrifice if Jesus had gone to hell and was burning there for eternity but as the fairy story is told he ends up in cushy paradise. When a soldier sacrifices themselves for their country or a fireman dies trying to save someone from a fire, that's a true sacrifice because they didn't know in advance if they will survive. Jesus/God already knows what's going to happen, after all he's all seeing and all knowing. No sacrifice is made.

The church fathers that constructed this story didn't think it through I guess.

There have been a lot of gods in Egyptian as well as Greek mythology who were killed and restored to life. Chances are, given the region, they took the story from there. Also the water into wine stunt has been done by Dyonisos before in a more impressive way. He took care of a whole well.

But all this is irrelevant when it comes to the bare bones of the story. An immortal, all powerful god tries his hand at a splatter movie. He can't die, so the dying part is out of the window before the show even starts. He's the three for the price of one package after all and while the Jesus part rots in the grave for a few days for better effect, the other two parts are roaming free.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
13-04-2015, 01:57 PM
(08-04-2015 05:50 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Good points!
The very idea that god cannot tolerate sin is an admission that this god is limited. Why can't god do a simple act of forgiveness by simply not holding something against someone?
Us lowly humans do this simple act of forgiveness every day, yet it's something this god cannot do.
We demonstrate a power that this god does not have every time we forgive someone without requiring any kind of blood sacrifice.
We further demonstrate an ability this god does not have by simply not taking offense at something to begin with, we don't let it bother us! This is something FAR beyond the capability of this god.

We continue to demonstrate our ability to surpass god's ability by not requiring punishment for any alleged wrongs against us. I wouldn't require a single person to burn in hell for anything they did while on this Earth, at most, I would simply make sure their consciousness ended at death without any post-death punishment.

Good questions, I think.

If I kill your dog, will you forgive me? And if you do forgive me, I mean you really do forgive me, will that bring your dog back from the dead?

The death and resurrection of Christ is dealing with sin--a very powerful force--and our own resurrection from death. I agree with some other Christian thinkers that Jesus had to die for sin.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-04-2015, 02:05 PM
(13-04-2015 01:57 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The death and resurrection of Christ is dealing with sin--a very powerful force--and our own resurrection from death. I agree with some other Christian thinkers that Jesus had to die for sin.

"Christian thinkers" - that is a good one. On the topic of sin, can you tell me Q, what is your definition of this "sin" mentioned above. I mean, what is it and how do you describe it? Also, please tell me how this sin existed before the christ story in the bible, during the time of his supposed time on earth, and then after his death. What is "sin' during these time frames?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post