Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2015, 10:30 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(12-10-2015 10:21 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Dr. Fulton set up a debate thread in the boxing ring three days ago. Q is thus far a no show. Actions - or in this case, inaction - speaks more decisively than anything opined here. I don't know what the "hold open" bylaws are in the ring but three days is already more than reasonable accommodation - even were Q otherwise preoccupied there's no excuse for absence of even a note saying "busy now - stand by". That's just courtesy.

To be fair, Q seems to only drop by once or twice a week lately. He may not have been here since Mark started that thread.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2015, 08:40 AM
(09-10-2015 03:51 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(28-09-2015 01:53 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I see, now that I've made this argument an umpteenth time, you wish to address it. You are making unsupported assertions that Paul was a Roman conspirator. I say unsupported because Paul indeed wrote several verses encouraging Jewish people to follow both Jewish and Roman authorities as good citizens. However, for a "Roman conspirator", I'm again asking you why Paul wrote hundreds, even thousands of verses saying the Roman pantheon of gods didn't exist... the Roman religion was demonic... the Romans were degenerates further from God than the Jews... your theory is absurd.

....big....breath. I'll try again.

Q, you wrote....

"I'm again asking you why Paul wrote hundreds, even thousands of verses saying the Roman pantheon of gods didn't exist... the Roman religion was demonic... the Romans were degenerates further from God than the Jews..."

I suggested you were exaggerating, and I asked you to provide some examples. Where did Paul write "the Roman religion was demonic"? and what is "the" "Roman religion" you are referring to? (Paul may have written this somewhere...I'm not sure.) You haven't provided a single example. I'm only asking you to back up what you claim.

Dear Dr. Fulton,

Where do you think my examples would come from? If your ignorance of the scriptures is that profound, why should I debate in the ring with you? Why don't you just attend one of my Bible studies instead?

I'll give you a hint--Google search for "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods". You'll do fine, I'm sure.

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2015, 10:10 AM
(13-10-2015 08:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... I'll give you a hint--Google search for "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods" ...

Are you Mr. Shirley? That was the only actual bible study site those search terms brought up. With Google now personalizing all search results what my search returned may not be what you anticipated.

Whomever you are, Q, I apologize for criticizing your apparent no-show in the ring. I realize people do have lives outside TTA, strange as that may seem to some of us.

I look forward to reading the debate.
13-10-2015, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 10:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-10-2015 08:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'll give you a hint--Google search for "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods". You'll do fine, I'm sure.

Thanks.

So the quack-incompetent Fundie is "teaching" (his distorted) scripture. LOLOL
It's not Mark we're worried about.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
13-10-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2015 02:44 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(13-10-2015 08:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 03:51 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  ....big....breath. I'll try again.

Q, you wrote....

"I'm again asking you why Paul wrote hundreds, even thousands of verses saying the Roman pantheon of gods didn't exist... the Roman religion was demonic... the Romans were degenerates further from God than the Jews..."

I suggested you were exaggerating, and I asked you to provide some examples. Where did Paul write "the Roman religion was demonic"? and what is "the" "Roman religion" you are referring to? (Paul may have written this somewhere...I'm not sure.) You haven't provided a single example. I'm only asking you to back up what you claim.

Dear Dr. Fulton,

Where do you think my examples would come from? If your ignorance of the scriptures is that profound, why should I debate in the ring with you? Why don't you just attend one of my Bible studies instead?

I'll give you a hint--Google search for "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods". You'll do fine, I'm sure.

Thanks.

You haven't answered my questions. Where did Paul write "the Roman religion was demonic"? and what is "the" "Roman religion" you are referring to?

What is more, you have shifted the goalposts to now be discussing "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods".

What is more, you are too gutless to enter the ring.

I live on a different side of the world to you. I don't even know who you are. You make "off the cuff" remarks based on your own incorrect assumptions, and you can't back them up, and you won't admit you were wrong. It takes you a week to respond to a question with a non answer. You quite obviously know almost nothing about the topic at hand. Why should I go to your classes?
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
13-10-2015, 02:50 PM
(13-10-2015 10:10 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... I'll give you a hint--Google search for "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods" ...

Are you Mr. Shirley? That was the only actual bible study site those search terms brought up. With Google now personalizing all search results what my search returned may not be what you anticipated.

Whomever you are, Q, I apologize for criticizing your apparent no-show in the ring. I realize people do have lives outside TTA, strange as that may seem to some of us.

I look forward to reading the debate.

Yes, it will be enlightening to discuss Paul with a scholar such as Q, especially considering the many books he has written and edited. I look forward to an informed, nuanced assessment of the famous apostle to the gentiles.
14-10-2015, 09:14 AM
If you read Arabic scholasticism, you get a very different picture of who Jesus was. In fact, as it transpires, he was two people, not one.

Muslims believe that Jesus was not crucified at all, that he escaped and that Judas Thomas was substituted in his place.

I thought this was just something out of nutsburg so I ignored it for a long time.

A few years ago I came across a lot of stuff on the web about Jesus in Srinigar. It seems there is a tomb in Srinigar which locals say has Jesus' remains in it and there is also in it a set of casts of his feet and they show crucifixion holes. Putting aside for the moment that the feet look like Yeti, you have an interesting notion. India has what is called "Thomas Christianity" and there are references in the NT to a Thomas Didymus as well as in the Gnostic gospels.

Then there are a couple of interesting parts of the NT. One is that Judas has to kiss Jesus to identify who he is. Why? Then there is Jesus being rebuked because he seems to be moving away from the idea of turning himself in and then we have Thomas telling the disciples that he has been given some information which he cannot share which would make them very upset.

So, Thomas is crucified!? Maybe? I read somewhere on the web that there was a Holy expedition to India a few hundred years ago and all the Thomas Christian priests were invited to a conference by Western emmissaries sent by Rome. They were invited to share their own writings about Thomas Christ. When they handed them over the gospels were burned. Odd story? I don't know where I heard this.

I just throw this out because there is an odd and troubling coincidence between the Muslim/Arabic view that Thomas was crucified in Jesus' place and a tomb in India with a supposedly crucified Christ, who can only have been called Thomas since that is the name of the religion.

Here are some highly dubious sites where you can read about this:
http://beforeitsnews.com/paranormal/2014...68314.html
http://www.answering-christianity.com/ab..._judas.htm

The most important stage of their activity was the famous Synod of Diamper (Udayamperur) in 1599, when the local Christians’ customs were officially anathematised as heretical and their manuscripts were condemned to be either corrected or burnt. http://www.srite.de/index?id=2&cikk=84

https://www.google.com.cy/url?sa=t&rct=j...-lt3oeA-sA

Thomas tells the disciples that if he tells them what Jesus has said to him they will stone him: https://books.google.com.cy/books?id=T6a...es&f=false

So, we have Jesus telling his bro Thomas something very disturbing, then accounts of Jesus and Thomas switching places and a whole religion in India, and a body with nail holes, all of which have to do with Thomas and which comes out of Syria, which is where the NT is set.

Strange!

I found a good site dealing with Jo Atwill's stuff by the way. Here it is:

http://postflaviana.org/introduction-fla...istianity/
15-10-2015, 12:04 PM
(13-10-2015 02:32 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 08:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Dear Dr. Fulton,

Thanks.

You haven't answered my questions. Where did Paul write "the Roman religion was demonic"? and what is "the" "Roman religion" you are referring to?

What is more, you have shifted the goalposts to now be discussing "Paul condemns idolatry" or "The NT denounces false gods".

I live on a different side of the world to you. I don't even know who you are. You make "off the cuff" remarks based on your own incorrect assumptions, and you can't back them up, and you won't admit you were wrong. It takes you a week to respond to a question with a non answer. You quite obviously know almost nothing about the topic at hand. Why should I go to your classes?

I'm in the ring. I apologize for your delay.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
16-10-2015, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2015 07:04 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(15-10-2015 12:04 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(13-10-2015 02:32 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You haven't answered my questions. Where did Paul write "the Roman religion was demonic"? and what is "the" "Roman religion" you are referring to?

I'm in the ring. I apologize for your delay.

I look forward to probably ( "I MIGHT debate you") discussing the topic of Paul with Q in the boxing ring.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-Charlatan
18-10-2015, 10:39 AM
This debate about Paul is like asking whether R2D2 had BO. Who gives a fuck? He's fictitious. And...who gives a fuck?