Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2015, 05:55 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(22-04-2015 03:05 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Can we just start renaming threads like this 'Q Bait'? Consider

If we dance him around the reality pole, does it become a 'Q Ball'? Consider

If we burn him in argument, does it become a 'Barbe-Q'? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2015, 07:13 AM
If we soak up his conditional love is he then jebus's Q-pid?

If we feel his righteousness exponentially is he Q-bed?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
22-04-2015, 08:31 AM
(20-04-2015 01:41 PM)Dusky Wrote:  
(20-04-2015 10:25 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Sin is clearly a powerful force if it is the factor leading unto death.

Yup, that's exactly why things die.

Facepalm

Has nothing to do with gravity, entropy or, more specifically, DNA/cellular senescence.

Evidence: Because Moses lived to be what, 950, Adam 930, Moses 120 (though he was just as strong and his eyesight just as good as when he was a strapping young Egyptian slave).

This I know because the Bible tells me so.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
22-04-2015, 08:50 AM
(21-04-2015 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What I call sin includes some very destructive, deadly behaviors. Some sin does not lead to death directly, sure. But when I see people, for example, detonating bombs at the Boston Marathon, they are snuffing innocent lives and the consequence is death.

I think it's unreasonable for you to use mass murder as your example. How many people destined for hell have committed mass murder? What do ordinary people go to hell for? Unless you are addressing the question of why ordinary people go to hell - unless you are addressing say the top five sins that cause people to go to hell... then I don't think you are really addressing what hell is for at all.

Moreover, it is unreasonable for you to use mass murder as your example when mass murderers under your system go to heaven just like anyone else who believes.

When considering what hell is for it doesn't escape my notice that believers go to heaven and non-believers go to hell no matter how they lived. So what is hell for?

My hypothesis is that hell is for instilling fear in believers to keep them from questioning their beliefs. Hell is for crowd control. I just have trouble coming to any other conclusion. Do you have a hypothesis the explains the evidence before us any better than mine?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
22-04-2015, 10:30 AM
(22-04-2015 08:50 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  What I call sin includes some very destructive, deadly behaviors. Some sin does not lead to death directly, sure. But when I see people, for example, detonating bombs at the Boston Marathon, they are snuffing innocent lives and the consequence is death.

I think it's unreasonable for you to use mass murder as your example. How many people destined for hell have committed mass murder? What do ordinary people go to hell for? Unless you are addressing the question of why ordinary people go to hell - unless you are addressing say the top five sins that cause people to go to hell... then I don't think you are really addressing what hell is for at all.

Moreover, it is unreasonable for you to use mass murder as your example when mass murderers under your system go to heaven just like anyone else who believes.

When considering what hell is for it doesn't escape my notice that believers go to heaven and non-believers go to hell no matter how they lived. So what is hell for?

My hypothesis is that hell is for instilling fear in believers to keep them from questioning their beliefs. Hell is for crowd control. I just have trouble coming to any other conclusion. Do you have a hypothesis the explains the evidence before us any better than mine?

Hell is a place where people may go via exercise of their free will when they do not wish fellowship with God.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-04-2015, 10:34 AM
(21-04-2015 03:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 02:22 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

I apologize for speaking in the affirmative rather than the interrogative, but I was merely trying to answer the questions posed.

What I call sin includes some very destructive, deadly behaviors. Some sin does not lead to death directly, sure. But when I see people, for example, detonating bombs at the Boston Marathon, they are snuffing innocent lives and the consequence is death.

Many of you are saying "you need take my word for it" of necessity as if you are unaware that it is just for a mass murderer, say, to die. Start there with justice, with consequence. Then you can go on to examining the scriptures more carefully. Now, I do get it. Some of you have said if someone kills your parent or child you would not require that the murderer die. God does require it as I understand it. However, everyone dies as it is. Mortality is not only a consequence of the Fall but our fall as individuals. We all sin, we all die as I understand it. Then comes judgment.

You have no evidence for any of that. It's all just woo. Mortality is a consequence of biology. Everything that lives eventually dies, and there is no evidence that this has ever not been the case. There was no "Fall", and death has nothing to do with "sin". Get over it.

An interesting sidebar--or it may pertain to what we're discussing, you decide--is how most everything known in the universe and our Earth, apart from say, billion-year entropy or gravitational/universe collapse, is self-sustaining. Stars and galaxies appear to die and are rebirthed, and all natural elements on the planet seem to be better off without man!

How did the Bible writers know this? Revelation says man is judged in part for what he has done to the Earth. How did the Bible writers know millennia ago how man's unsustainable ways would harm our ecosystem?

Man... sins.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-04-2015, 12:05 PM
(22-04-2015 10:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-04-2015 08:50 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think it's unreasonable for you to use mass murder as your example. How many people destined for hell have committed mass murder? What do ordinary people go to hell for? Unless you are addressing the question of why ordinary people go to hell - unless you are addressing say the top five sins that cause people to go to hell... then I don't think you are really addressing what hell is for at all.

Hell is a place where people may go via exercise of their free will when they do not wish fellowship with God.

Do you actually think that people choose belief? You are dumber than a bag of hammers.

22-04-2015, 12:06 PM
(22-04-2015 10:34 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-04-2015 03:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  You have no evidence for any of that. It's all just woo. Mortality is a consequence of biology. Everything that lives eventually dies, and there is no evidence that this has ever not been the case. There was no "Fall", and death has nothing to do with "sin". Get over it.

An interesting sidebar--or it may pertain to what we're discussing, you decide--is how most everything known in the universe and our Earth, apart from say, billion-year entropy or gravitational/universe collapse, is self-sustaining. Stars and galaxies appear to die and are rebirthed, and all natural elements on the planet seem to be better off without man!

How did the Bible writers know this? Revelation says man is judged in part for what he has done to the Earth. How did the Bible writers know millennia ago how man's unsustainable ways would harm our ecosystem?

Man... sins.

That is a far-fetched, self-serving, ridiculous stretching of the meaning of that.

You are becoming a parody of yourself.

[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2015, 01:41 PM
(22-04-2015 10:30 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hell is a place where people may go via exercise of their free will when they do not wish fellowship with God.
Do you know anyone who has gone to hell?
How do you know? Did they tell you? Did you see them go?
Do you assume?
22-04-2015, 02:30 PM
It's not choose belief, it's choose spirituality/god/truth over self and pride IMHO.

Yes, I do know people who died and went to Hell. Watching them depart this world was very painful. Yes, I do know that Jesus died and resurrected and speaks with authority over these matters.