Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-04-2015, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 26-04-2015 06:48 PM by Stevil.)
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(26-04-2015 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  Oh, dear. That was supposed to be wry, amusing irony. Facepalm

Sorry if you didn't take it that way. Consider
Hmmm, my response wasn't trying to convince you of anything. I did take your post as wry, amusing irony.

EDIT: I guess sometimes it's hard for an observer to know if I am posting as a direct one on one (potentially confrontational) conversation or if I am sometimes just posting my thoughts in a public forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
27-04-2015, 10:17 AM
(25-04-2015 06:10 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Me? I was a real piece of work before Jesus, and He's still working. I know that. But my marriage and children and relationships are on a base of God. Getting better all the time, like the Beatles sang...

I thought my marriage was on a base of God also, but one day I ceased to believe. A lot of soul searching occurred at that point, a lot of reevaluation. But I found that the base of my marriage wasn't God after all. It was the love, respect, and mutual support between two people that was that was the base of my marriage.

Then your marital basis matches mine. Two persons with identical (or nearly identical) convictions, wills and beliefs regarding marriage. My spouse and I are rooted in God and this colors our beliefs, of course.

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-04-2015, 10:18 AM
(24-04-2015 01:40 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Me? I was a real piece of work before Jesus, and He's still working. I know that. But my marriage and children and relationships are on a base of God. Getting better all the time, like the Beatles sang...
I can really only speak for myself and offer some observations regarding my own family.

I'm an atheist, obviously.
My wife is too. My six year old said "god's not real" so that means she counts as an atheist, my 4 year old never talks of god so I'm pretty sure she is an atheist too.

My family is wonderful. We are pretty active, enjoy exercise, music, going for beach and bush walks. My kids are very fun loving and lively. They certainly have a zest for life. My wife is a friendly and smart lady who has a positive outlook on life and is admired by many friends.

So there you have it. A bunch of atheists enjoying life and this is based on the foundation that life is here and to be enjoyed.

Life is here to be enjoyed. An atheist can have a long, happy and fulfilled life. What will the objective purpose of that life be afterward?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
27-04-2015, 10:20 AM
(24-04-2015 06:05 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Not quite, Mister Bond.

What I've observed doing ministry in nursing homes and hospice centers is that born again patients are mentally together, and happy for a visit, and happy in general, even the ones whose family are long gone and who have not had regular visits for months, even years. God gives Christians a sound mind per 2 Timothy 1. These people are alert, sharp and want to tell you what they read in the Bible that morning that encouraged them...

I've also had the displeasure of watching loved ones die in agony as well as the unredeemed state.

I've also encountered (and some of them are my friends, but it takes patience) older skeptics, older, it seems, than many or most on this forum, and boy are they in trouble--not judgment of Hell--that's not what I mean. Rather I mean they are nasty old curs.

Take Christopher Hitchens--not his death--his life. What a towering intellect he was! What a keen and insightful mind! But not a nice man at all. One of his "hobbies" was having peers and faculty come over for dinner and to demonstrate his brilliance in logic and argumentation by reducing them to tears. Ayn Rand was the same way. She was famous for arguing through the night until her friends were no longer her friends. Again, Rand has so much to say and would likely reprove many skeptics today for being way too liberal in their economic and political worldview. But she was a nasty piece of work in some ways. Sad.

Me? I was a real piece of work before Jesus, and He's still working. I know that. But my marriage and children and relationships are on a base of God. Getting better all the time, like the Beatles sang...

Some Christians claim their beliefs will help them face death. I’ve looked after many Christians as they’re dying, many more than you, and they rarely talk about Jesus. More often than not, when people are dying, they discover how utterly hollow and disappointing Jesus’ empty promises really are.

Sorry. I'd have said born again Christians but didn't want to have you invoke NTS also. In what capacity were you caring for others in ill health?

27-04-2015, 10:20 AM
42 .......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
27-04-2015, 12:58 PM
(27-04-2015 10:18 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Life is here to be enjoyed. An atheist can have a long, happy and fulfilled life. What will the objective purpose of that life be afterward?
Why do you assume an objective purpose?

We are to release our borrowed atoms back to the universe to be recycled once more into the cycle of life.

Does that sound poetic and mysterious enough to satisfy your desire for purpose?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
27-04-2015, 01:59 PM
(27-04-2015 12:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 10:18 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Life is here to be enjoyed. An atheist can have a long, happy and fulfilled life. What will the objective purpose of that life be afterward?
Why do you assume an objective purpose?

We are to release our borrowed atoms back to the universe to be recycled once more into the cycle of life.

Does that sound poetic and mysterious enough to satisfy your desire for purpose?

On top of that, why does there need to be an objective purpose?
[+] 2 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
27-04-2015, 04:21 PM
(27-04-2015 10:20 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 06:05 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Some Christians claim their beliefs will help them face death. I’ve looked after many Christians as they’re dying, many more than you, and they rarely talk about Jesus. More often than not, when people are dying, they discover how utterly hollow and disappointing Jesus’ empty promises really are.

Sorry. I'd have said born again Christians but didn't want to have you invoke NTS also. In what capacity were you caring for others in ill health?

Mark's a doctor.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-04-2015, 08:31 AM
(27-04-2015 01:59 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(27-04-2015 12:58 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Why do you assume an objective purpose?

On top of that, why does there need to be an objective purpose?

There doesn't need to be to live--most of us humans go without. However, at some point morality/ethics goes into Wild Wild West territory without it. Note carefully:

As atheists you ought to be willing to agree that due to its changeable nature human opinion cannot be the source of moral absolutes. Consequently, all those who argue for a system of ethics or morality without God must deny the very possibility of moral absolutes. By that decision, however, you have established an absolute.

Of course, I've read arguments for moral absolutes as put forward by atheist philosophers but found some issues within.

29-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Is this a matter of opinion or is there a deeper reason behind it? Is it right because Jesus said it, or did Jesus say it because it is right?

Do you think that people can discover moral truths or is all moral truth mere opinion, either of God or of man?

If God's morality is unchanging, is slavery morally wrong? Is genocide? Do you stand behind every act and command attributed to God in the bible?

I for one am pretty sure that moral truths do exist, be they as they may be relative to subjective value statements. I'm pretty sure that secular morality is the only kind that can exist, even if a God exists. That is, things are moral or immoral independent of the opinion of God. He may be unerringly correct about what is moral or not, but his opinion of right and wrong would still not be what makes it right or wrong.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post