Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2015, 06:34 PM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(13-04-2015 04:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  <snip>

You would have to have a very illogical and warped/controlled mind to consider the death of someone can be a payment for "sins" of others. Granted this is the idea told to believers and as they have become accustomed/conditioned, they choose to believe what they are told.

Well, it was simply scapegoating/animal sacrifice writ large. It was embedded in their culture.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2015, 01:36 PM
All sin is wrongdoing. All wrongdoing is sin.

Sin was expiated (or so people thought/think) before Jesus with sacrifice. Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah, Abraham and down the line, employed sacrifices. Sacrifices continued through the Jewish people. What is your interpretation of the many verses that indicate Old Testament sacrifices were to be made for the Israelites as individual and corporate sinners?

Jesus died to pay for the sin of man. He was innocent. I can certainly understand our moral revulsion as substitutionary atonement. I understand where Hitchens and many other skeptics were/are coming from here. I get it. We want to make our own mistakes.

However, for certain mistakes, we truly don't want to pay the consequences. If one was to have an extramarital affair than be discovered, at that time one would either seek forgiveness from their spouse--or if they sought a divorce, from their children!

Yes, we can forgive great evils. However, some sin leads to death. I can forgive someone for stealing from me to do drugs, but if they die because of an overdose there's nothing I can do about that.

Jesus is able to forgive all sin except for the sin of rejecting Him as Savior. That is because likely the sin that many other sins hinge upon is pride.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 01:46 PM
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Jesus died to pay for the sin of man. He was innocent.

Is being born a sin?
Find all posts by this user
14-04-2015, 02:31 PM
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All sin is wrongdoing. All wrongdoing is sin.

Sin was expiated (or so people thought/think) before Jesus with sacrifice. Adam, Eve, Cain and Abel, Noah, Abraham and down the line, employed sacrifices. Sacrifices continued through the Jewish people. What is your interpretation of the many verses that indicate Old Testament sacrifices were to be made for the Israelites as individual and corporate sinners?

Jesus died to pay for the sin of man. He was innocent. I can certainly understand our moral revulsion as substitutionary atonement. I understand where Hitchens and many other skeptics were/are coming from here. I get it. We want to make our own mistakes.

However, for certain mistakes, we truly don't want to pay the consequences. If one was to have an extramarital affair than be discovered, at that time one would either seek forgiveness from their spouse--or if they sought a divorce, from their children!

Yes, we can forgive great evils. However, some sin leads to death. I can forgive someone for stealing from me to do drugs, but if they die because of an overdose there's nothing I can do about that.

Jesus is able to forgive all sin except for the sin of rejecting Him as Savior. That is because likely the sin that many other sins hinge upon is pride.

Sacrifices, wrongdoing, consequences, some sin leads to death, certain mistakes, forgive all sin, pride - WORD SALAD! You are about as clear as Texas mud! You have a big imagination their Q, but you have to define what "all wrongdoing" exactly entails. Also, prove to me it is a sin (or wrongdoing) to not accept any figure found in ancient scriptures. How am I wrong - really want to know!

Oh and don't tell me you do not take pride in professing your blind faith - damn sinner.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
14-04-2015, 02:36 PM
The old testament is full of sacrifices, and most of them have nothing to do with sin. The most common reason seems to be that Yahweh loves the "sweet aroma" of burning animal flesh. Such sacrifices were common practice in many primitive cultures. Nothing special about the Jews or their God in that respect.
14-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Oh, Q cunt. Sometimes I can't help but glimpse your foolishness. Word salad indeed.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
14-04-2015, 02:55 PM
(14-04-2015 01:46 PM)Dusky Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Jesus died to pay for the sin of man. He was innocent.

Is being born a sin?

According to Christians it is. Funny how they all say having a baby is a "blessing from god" then turn around and say babies are born dirty stinkin' sinners.

What a horrid, mentally sick way to look at the beginning of life. It's beyond repulsive to look at a baby this way.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-04-2015, 03:53 PM
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All sin is wrongdoing. All wrongdoing is sin.
Who determines what is a wrongdoing?
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I can certainly understand our moral revulsion as substitutionary atonement.
It's not a moral issue, it's a logical one.
If person A did X it would be logical that person A is accountable for X.
How does person B get held accountable for X while person A gets absolved of accountability?
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Jesus is able to forgive all sin except for the sin of rejecting Him as Savior.
Why is it a wrongdoing to not accept Jesus as a saviour?
Since there is no evidence that Jesus is a saviour then choosing to believe is random luck. One could easily choose to believe in any one of the other multitude of religions which also demand belief.
Is it a wrongdoing to be unlucky and to randomly choose a god which ultimately (after the big reveal) turns out to be a fictional god?
Don't you think it is more likely that this requirement (belief in Jesus) is just a human created ploy to get you to choose Christianity without requiring evidence?
[+] 4 users Like Stevil's post
14-04-2015, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2015 10:20 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
(14-04-2015 01:36 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Jsus is able to forgive all sin except for the sin of rejecting Him as Savior. That is because likely the sin that many other sins hinge upon is pride.

I am not too worried about that. I built an iron chariot and that can defeat him just like it did before.

Edit: In light of Stevil's point as to why the ultimate wrongdoing is to reject him as savior, that is still a limitation on him. He just can't bring himself to forgive you for it. There we are again at something that humans are capable of doing but god apparently isn't. I find it terrible that xtinas think that thought crime is worse than actually doing something.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-04-2015, 04:00 AM
(14-04-2015 01:46 PM)Dusky Wrote:  

Is being born a sin?

[+] 3 users Like H4ym4n's post