Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2015, 04:02 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
I'd be more impressed if jesus was still alive and still hanging on the sticks. Sucking up everyone's sins 24/7.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like H4ym4n's post
15-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Sin has nothing to do with right or wrong, morality or immorality.

It's what upsets God. And since he's meant to be omnipotent, you'd think he's be able to control himself a bit better.

I couldn't give a fuck what "god's" opinion is, even if he is real. I'm in the best position to evaluate my actions, and to do the best thing for those around me and myself. If that makes him cry, well boo fucking hoo.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
15-04-2015, 08:12 AM

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
15-04-2015, 08:13 AM

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
15-04-2015, 11:00 AM
(14-04-2015 02:55 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-04-2015 01:46 PM)Dusky Wrote:  Is being born a sin?

According to Christians it is. Funny how they all say having a baby is a "blessing from god" then turn around and say babies are born dirty stinkin' sinners.

What a horrid, mentally sick way to look at the beginning of life. It's beyond repulsive to look at a baby this way.

It really is.

Not really sure what I would say to his response. Any answer to it is pretty much sickening to me. Especially since the first thought when I saw my son and daughter was nowhere near "I better baptize this baby in the name of the Lord, or else they aren't washed away of their sins!".
15-04-2015, 12:11 PM
And to think the whole original sin could have been avoided. All God had to do was move the Tree of Knowledge (of good and evil) to a mountain, the bottom of the sea, outside the Garden of Eden or just not make it to start with. Plus god made Adam and Eve stupid they couldn't have the concept of death. Because according to the story, they would only die if they ate from the tree. On top of that they wouldn't be able to comprehend right or wrong, if they didn't know what good and evil were. They wouldn't have been able to know that eating the fruit would be a bad thing. And because they did this carnivores started eating meat, it hurts when woman give birth, snakes crawl on the ground and cancer! Jesus Huckleberry Christ! How did I ever believe any of this!?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
15-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Yep. Christians beliefs are retarded. Brainwashed christards can't see how ridiculous their beliefs really are.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
15-04-2015, 02:18 PM
All,

1. I don't believe in original sin. Original sin is circa Augustine 300 years after Jesus. He cited Romans 5 for his belief--I find rather the opposite. How would you interpret this?

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned.."

I take "because all sinned" as the way "all have death through sin". That is, I don't believe being born is a sin. I believe babies are lovely people. It's the adults we need to worry about--babies tend not to rape, steal and kill other babies.

2. Others here ask why it has to be Jesus who pays for sin. I might as well ask:

* Why do I have to repay my credit cards with money? Can I give them a dead body as a sacrifice? Can I give them two goats?

* Why do we have some criminals do community service? Can't they just give large fines to the government instead? Don't the actors who have to do community service have millions of dollars they can add to our tax rolls instead?

etc.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
15-04-2015, 02:25 PM
And let's go a little further. Before you say no--real quick like, my friends--

Is there anything that is worthy of capital punishment/death?

Stalin was responsible for the death of millions. Should he have served life in prison? Should he have been executed? Is knowing he might have justice after death salve to you in any way, even a little? What gives us the right to forgive Stalin? If you feel like you can forgive his crimes, does that mean the people who were directly affected (and some of your families may have been directly affected, of course) HAVE to absolve him in their minds as well? And if so (or if not) are there any possible universal standards of justice or lex talionis, etc. that might be legitimate justice in your opinion?

Just because you might feel up to forgiving someone who rapes my wife or children (or me!) does that mean I SHOULD or HAVE to forgive also?

Yes, I do find it comforting to think that God as portrayed in the Book:

* Has exacting standards of justice

* Has degrees of punishment that match exact degrees of guilt

* Has expiated my punishment upon Jesus - I mean, I've never murdered or raped any person, but if I deserve death for other things I've done... I can certainly talk a good game about how I personally want to pay for mistakes and find substitutionary atonement distasteful, but to be honest, there are very few things I want to die for...

Thanks.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
15-04-2015, 02:36 PM
(15-04-2015 02:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

1. I don't believe in original sin. Original sin is circa Augustine 300 years after Jesus. He cited Romans 5 for his belief--I find rather the opposite. How would you interpret this?

"Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned.."

I take "because all sinned" as the way "all have death through sin". That is, I don't believe being born is a sin. I believe babies are lovely people. It's the adults we need to worry about--babies tend not to rape, steal and kill other babies.

2. Others here ask why it has to be Jesus who pays for sin. I might as well ask:

* Why do I have to repay my credit cards with money? Can I give them a dead body as a sacrifice? Can I give them two goats?

* Why do we have some criminals do community service? Can't they just give large fines to the government instead? Don't the actors who have to do community service have millions of dollars they can add to our tax rolls instead?

etc.

First of all nobody cares what you think of original sin - you may think many things, but again it is only what you think and not know.

Secondly, you pay your credit debt because you are accountable for the balance of charges. Criminals do community service as a consequence for their crimes, which they are responsible for doing. I can pay your debts or serve time for your crimes, but it does not take away your accountability to those infractions.

Scape-goating is not moral and does not, nor ever did, take away personal accountability. The jesus myth is such that, a scape-goating myth in your cult of human sacrifice.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 3 users Like Timber1025's post