Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2015, 06:15 PM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(16-04-2015 09:59 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 10:58 PM)claywise Wrote:  Some time ago I decided that if any group of theists had it right (and I don't personally think any do, but if one did), it would be the Muslims.

Contrary to the nonsense floated around these days, Islam does not mean "peace." It means "submission," and that is a perfectly sensible, even rational response to a truly omniscient god, at least if your goal is to avoid torture.

In the face of a truly omniscient god, which can order things any way it pleases—up to and including the idiotic sacrifice-myself-to-myself-to-atone-for-sins-I-forced-humans-into bullshit of Christianity—the best way to survive would be utter submission. Think of it as being a slave to a cruel, murderous master. Doesn't make for much of a life, but if survival is the goal, and avoidance of terror and pain, it makes sense.

The Christian story fails in so many ways, but primary among them is the ridiculous contortions believers must go through to rectify the idea of an all-good, all-powerful, all-knowning god with rationality and common sense.

Dear Q Cunt: you remain as unpersuasive as ever.

I'm sorry you feel my goal is to persuade you. You are the steward of your own mind and choices. However, comments like you've made above tempt me to think:

* You don't believe in free thought, only skeptical thought. There is no room at your table for Christians.

* You don't feel as though TTA - the THINKING atheist - should tolerate or welcome diversity or diverse ideas - that is to say, thinking that deviates from your party line. If your rationale is a strong as you claim, you should be able to defend it from my viewpoints without resorting to name calling.

You are still here...how much more tolerance can we display?

If we were as intolerant as you seem to think we are (as a group) you'd have been banned long ago.

Plenty of room at the table and plenty of discussions going on that aren't about your beliefs. If you want to be a part of things maybe you should try interaction without the preaching.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-04-2015, 04:23 AM
(15-04-2015 06:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:18 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Mary was the result of the immaculate conception which is special pleading to have her not be tainted with original sin just to avoid that problem. There's no bit of logic that theists can't find an ad-hoc explanation for to plug the hole.
But wasn't Mary's DNA use to provide half of what became Jesus?
Does god have human DNA? How did he provide his half?

Jesus is the first known human/alien hybrid.
17-04-2015, 10:45 AM
(16-04-2015 11:27 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 09:50 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How then would you ask a Stalin who killed millions to pay an equal restitution for his crimes?

There really is something wrong with you. The porch light is a flickering but nobody is home in Q-ville. I am not even going to explain how truly stupid you and the question are, but only say that a human sacrifice would be the last thing I would recommend as restitution for HIS crimes.

Actually, I'm thinking the judgment of Hell, not killing Jesus per se. Sure, if I meet Stalin in Heaven I'll exclaim, "Wow, God really forgives!" but I see him in Hell, "Wow, God is a righteous judge."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2015, 10:47 AM
(16-04-2015 06:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 10:43 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Yet, we live in a world in which death holds the greatest significance. That great love, is a love that would lay down its life for a friend. We revere our martyrs, and our heroes who sacrificed their lives. Nothing that reminds us of the significance of our loved one's, of others, our causes, and the preciousness and meaning of our lives than death.

Maybe if god had sacrificed himself and not his son I would be impressed. Martyrdom by proxy doesn't count.

As I pointed to earlier in this thread, I think it was, a man can pay for one other man logically. God died on the cross.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
17-04-2015, 10:49 AM
(16-04-2015 03:45 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Now I feel it also should be noted that Stalin never PERSONALLY killed anyone. He knew how to get people to do his dirty work but never pulled the trigger. Just like Charles Manson who we consider a serial killer. We count the blood being on their hands. Dose this still fall under the "You shall not murder" commandment?

I'll tell you one thing thou. Had I had omnipotent power, and was omniscient maybe i would have given Stalin that fatal heart attack earlier in his life, or maybe made his father not be a drunk so he wouldn't beat him.

And if we're playing that God is real. And the Bible stories true. Then all the blood is on god's hands. Every senseless murder, ever rape, EVERY torture! How many lives did God take when he "flooded the world"? How many lives where taken when God guided those Jewish Armies? How many lives have been lost in just our life times? We see this continuous war in Israeli. Some promised land that turned out to be.

Why go halfway here? Let's go toward the logical end of what you're saying...

Everyone who ever dies for any reason is taken away. Be it you at age 105 or a patriarch at 605. So now we need to discern whether man ushered death unto himself, and continues to do so, each man, via sin, or whether God is a mere killer who cannot raise the dead to eternal life again...

17-04-2015, 10:53 AM
(17-04-2015 04:23 AM)H4ym4n Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 06:24 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But wasn't Mary's DNA use to provide half of what became Jesus?
Does god have human DNA? How did he provide his half?

Jesus is the first known human/alien hybrid.

I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.
[+] 1 user Likes Dusky's post
17-04-2015, 11:08 AM
(17-04-2015 10:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 11:27 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  There really is something wrong with you. The porch light is a flickering but nobody is home in Q-ville. I am not even going to explain how truly stupid you and the question are, but only say that a human sacrifice would be the last thing I would recommend as restitution for HIS crimes.

Actually, I'm thinking the judgment of Hell, not killing Jesus per se. Sure, if I meet Stalin in Heaven I'll exclaim, "Wow, God really forgives!" but I see him in Hell, "Wow, God is a righteous judge."

Provide evidence either of those imaginary places exist before your make plans for when you arrive and play meet and greet!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
17-04-2015, 11:24 AM
(17-04-2015 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  God died on the cross.

Who or what brought you god back to life?

Where did your God get its beginning Q?

When did it first become alive?
17-04-2015, 11:39 AM
(17-04-2015 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(16-04-2015 06:12 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Maybe if god had sacrificed himself and not his son I would be impressed. Martyrdom by proxy doesn't count.

As I pointed to earlier in this thread, I think it was, a man can pay for one other man logically. God died on the cross.

No, sorry, that's not logical at all. My guilt or culpability or whatever is not diminished one bit by someone else's punishment (whether that be death or something less extreme). The whole scapegoat concept is wishful thinking at best. There is no reason at all why it should actually work.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-04-2015, 12:51 PM
(17-04-2015 11:39 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(17-04-2015 10:47 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  As I pointed to earlier in this thread, I think it was, a man can pay for one other man logically. God died on the cross.

No, sorry, that's not logical at all. My guilt or culpability or whatever is not diminished one bit by someone else's punishment (whether that be death or something less extreme). The whole scapegoat concept is wishful thinking at best. There is no reason at all why it should actually work.

Your guilt or culpability is in no way expiated by the death of Jesus. However, your punishment is. If I'm five years old and get caught stealing a candy bar from a grocery store and I have no money, my mother can give the store owner $1.00 but I still have to deal with other consequences including, perhaps, guilt.

Jesus paid the penalty for our sins. If you want to feel more guilty or more forgiven after you receive Jesus, that is your choice.