Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-07-2015, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2015 06:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
"Scientism" is another of the Fundie cooked-up patronizing self-righteous superior pejorative words, like "materialism' and "naturalism". "Oh you poor little sinners". The application of the scientific method to things that can be subjected to that method is not "scientism". Using accepted historical and archaeological methods to determine what we can confidently say about an event that may or may not have happened in the past is not "scientism".

And they bitch *we* are the angry insulting ones. Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-07-2015, 09:11 PM
(28-07-2015 01:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... you are unable (because of your will) to read the Bible AND understand it ...

There it is again: this notion that the bible requires extra-biblical material to understand it. It should stand on its own without any need for any extra-biblical interpretation, explanation, augmentation, or (especially) any speculation. But all you biblical adherents keep advancing this notion that the bible DOESN'T stand on its own, and you clog up the discourse with eighty six billion different religious sects claiming theirs and ONLY their interpretation, explanation, augmentation and rampant wild and wooly speculation is the ONE TRUE coda to the million or so apparently inchoate words of the bible proper.

It was put in writing by divine dictation by an intellect far above mere human intellect and to trifle with it in that way only creates confusion. To trifle with it amounts to declaring god was incompetent and that men know better than god how to get god's point across. Eighty six billion sects across the surface of the planet espousing eighty six billion divergent, conflicting narratives is hard proof you biblical adherents don't know what the &%^*$ you're doing and you're probably pissing your god off. Or gods. All of them.

I can tell you this for sure: ANY of you biblical adherents attempting to "clarify" the bible has instantly destroyed your credibility to do so, because trying to "clarify" that volume proves you think your god did an inadequate job - and a bible adherent that thinks his god is inadequate in some capacity that he the adherent thinks he's BETTER at than his god is intellectually loony.

Where does that leave you. Quoting scripture, unvarnished, unannotated, raw and bare to speak for itself. That's all you can do. Anything more than that is ignorant arrogance, not worth listening to.
[+] 4 users Like Airportkid's post
28-07-2015, 09:29 PM
(28-07-2015 01:07 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... you are unable (because of your will) to read the Bible AND understand it ...

That's a rather interesting and bizarre thing to say. By "understand it" of course he means Q's personal idiosyncratic bizarre reading of it, which conflicts in many ways with respected well known scholars. Not only that, but many of them are highly religious people who believe they have handed their "wills" over to their gods. So apparently Q thinks pretty much only his will is righteous enough, and not only non-believers, but also almost all main-line sincere believers have flawed ''wills".

He's not self-righteous or proud or judgmental. No. not at all. Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-07-2015, 02:28 AM
Facepalm
(28-07-2015 06:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Scientism" is another of the Fundie cooked-up patronizing self-righteous superior pejorative words, like "materialism' and "naturalism". "Oh you poor little sinners". The application of the scientific method to things that can be subjected to that method is not "scientism". Using accepted historical and archaeological methods to determine what we can confidently say about an event that may or may not have happened in the past is not "scientism".

And they bitch *we* are the angry insulting ones. Laugh out load

Never heard the word before, so I looked it up...

scientism |ˈsʌɪəntɪz(ə)m|
noun [ mass noun ] rare
thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists.
• excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.

Wow! "excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.":facepalm:

You are right. A fundie must have thought this up. The rational world has 100% respect for science, so there can be no such thing as "excessive belief" in it.Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2015, 03:35 AM
I got about halfway thru the video before my brain hurt too much from the stupidity. It was the typical stupid atheist argument, "God's values are not my values therefore God doesn't exist".
29-07-2015, 03:43 AM
(29-07-2015 03:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I got about halfway thru the video before my brain hurt too much from the stupidity.

There there, not everyone can be intelligent. At least you recognise what's causing the headaches.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-07-2015, 03:49 AM
(29-07-2015 03:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 03:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I got about halfway thru the video before my brain hurt too much from the stupidity.

There there, not everyone can be intelligent. At least you recognise what's causing the headaches.

Yep, I sure did...the stupid argument which essentially claimed, God's values must be my values or God can't exist caused my head ache.

Of course such arguments are utterly silly and only morons would accept them.
29-07-2015, 07:02 AM
(29-07-2015 03:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 03:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  There there, not everyone can be intelligent. At least you recognise what's causing the headaches.

Yep, I sure did...the stupid argument which essentially claimed, God's values must be my values or God can't exist caused my head ache.

Of course such arguments are utterly silly and only morons would accept them.

As opposed to....... oh, I don't know........ talking snakes, perhaps?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
29-07-2015, 07:47 AM
(27-07-2015 06:51 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 02:23 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Oh....you're one of them Facepalm
If you can believe the ancient Israelites moved to America,
Why can't I? Is it so hard to believe that in ancient times people traveled from Euro-Asia to Americas?

There is no evidence that that ever happened. But more tellingly, the DNA evidence says that it didn't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-07-2015, 07:49 AM
(27-07-2015 10:57 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 10:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Let me introduce what may be a novel concept to you. Thinking people believe things primarily because they had evidence, not because of what they are told. Your problem is that there is no evidence that the ancient Israelites moved to America.
I agree that thinking people believe things because they had evidence. But thinking people also can believe those whom they trust.

Your trust is misplaced since those people do not have any evidence either.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]