Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2015, 07:54 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(29-07-2015 07:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-07-2015 06:51 PM)Alla Wrote:  Why can't I? Is it so hard to believe that in ancient times people traveled from Euro-Asia to Americas?

There is no evidence that that ever happened. But more tellingly, the DNA evidence says that it didn't.

DNA evidence is provided by Satan's servants, the scientists, who incidentally also designed this ergonomic and useful computer, which works so reliably. But where scientific evidence conflicts with deeply help personal religious belief based on questionable evidence it's clear which is the losing side! See you in church, loser.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-07-2015, 08:09 AM
(28-07-2015 05:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 01:11 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  How very Western of you! Paul presented evidence in the form of fulfilled Tanakh prophecy.
Prophecy is fictional Q, fiction is not a form of evidence. Grow up. What part of "demonstrable, testable, and rational" did you not understand? Even if that was true (and it's not you can ask any Jew alive ever) the fact that Pauls work of fiction agrees with another work of fiction is not impressive. The Old Testament is almost entirely fictional with no resemblance to actual history.
You argument for it not being fictional is because of how much it agrees with a work of known fiction. Impressive.

(28-07-2015 01:11 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are judging Jewish methods of approaching and interpreting the Word of God by using scientism. How very un-Jewish.
I'm not terribly interested in how a bunch of largely illiterate, stone age idiots with next to no education of any worth who happened to believe a fictional tale chose to interpret their fictional tale.
I'm also not interested in the nuances of debate among Harry Potter fan fiction writers.

(28-07-2015 01:11 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then again, in Paul's day, Paul saying Jesus had risen from the dead could have been investigated and found wanting. Of course, it wasn't and Christianity exploded--getting bigger and bigger until--it--almost--reached--the members of TTA.
Did you confuse this with an argument? Paul presents exactly zero testable, demonstrable, and falsifiable evidence to back up his dumb ass claims and without evidence they can be safely, rationally, honestly discarded.

Yes, isn't it unusual how Paul and other Bible writers make statements like "In the beginning, God made the heavens and the Earth" without any disclaimer, introduction, tee-up, etc.?

Of course, all you need to do is take that one word out that is making you unhappy, God, and you have "In the beginning, the universe was made." Everything I know about current, modern, scientific cosmology (and logic!) denies steady state and infinite universe ideas and instead claims that our energy and matter came from outside time and space, from a region where there was no space. Nothing, than something.

Sorry to drift off there, but you were saying something about the Bible claims being untestable?

General relativity, the 2nd law of you-know-what, the rapidly expanding universe, background cosmic radiation, etc. prove the universe had a finite, not infinite or eternal, start.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2015, 08:12 AM
(28-07-2015 06:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Scientism" is another of the Fundie cooked-up patronizing self-righteous superior pejorative words, like "materialism' and "naturalism". "Oh you poor little sinners". The application of the scientific method to things that can be subjected to that method is not "scientism". Using accepted historical and archaeological methods to determine what we can confidently say about an event that may or may not have happened in the past is not "scientism".

And they bitch *we* are the angry insulting ones. Laugh out load

Source: Wikipedia

1. Scientism may refer to science applied "in excess".

2. To indicate the improper usage of science or scientific claims.

3. To refer to "the belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry...

What is your interpretation of how you are not in extremis (pun intended) with science per the above?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
29-07-2015, 12:19 PM
(29-07-2015 07:02 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(29-07-2015 03:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Yep, I sure did...the stupid argument which essentially claimed, God's values must be my values or God can't exist caused my head ache.

Of course such arguments are utterly silly and only morons would accept them.

As opposed to....... oh, I don't know........ talking snakes, perhaps?

The talking snake is not an argument. It is a story. You should know the difference.
29-07-2015, 07:44 PM
(29-07-2015 03:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I got about halfway thru the video before my brain hurt too much from the stupidity. It was the typical stupid atheist argument, "God's values are not my values therefore God doesn't exist".

God's values are my values and therefore God does exist in me and I AM God. And you're a fucking idiot.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-07-2015, 07:47 PM
(29-07-2015 08:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 06:38 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  "Scientism" is another of the Fundie cooked-up patronizing self-righteous superior pejorative words, like "materialism' and "naturalism". "Oh you poor little sinners". The application of the scientific method to things that can be subjected to that method is not "scientism". Using accepted historical and archaeological methods to determine what we can confidently say about an event that may or may not have happened in the past is not "scientism".

And they bitch *we* are the angry insulting ones. Laugh out load

Source: Wikipedia

1. Scientism may refer to science applied "in excess".

2. To indicate the improper usage of science or scientific claims.

3. To refer to "the belief that the methods of natural science, or the categories and things recognized in natural science, form the only proper elements in any philosophical or other inquiry...

What is your interpretation of how you are not in extremis (pun intended) with science per the above?

"May" / "improper" ...
You have demonstrated neither.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-07-2015, 12:00 AM
(29-07-2015 08:09 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 05:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Prophecy is fictional Q, fiction is not a form of evidence. Grow up. What part of "demonstrable, testable, and rational" did you not understand? Even if that was true (and it's not you can ask any Jew alive ever) the fact that Pauls work of fiction agrees with another work of fiction is not impressive. The Old Testament is almost entirely fictional with no resemblance to actual history.
You argument for it not being fictional is because of how much it agrees with a work of known fiction. Impressive.

I'm not terribly interested in how a bunch of largely illiterate, stone age idiots with next to no education of any worth who happened to believe a fictional tale chose to interpret their fictional tale.
I'm also not interested in the nuances of debate among Harry Potter fan fiction writers.

Did you confuse this with an argument? Paul presents exactly zero testable, demonstrable, and falsifiable evidence to back up his dumb ass claims and without evidence they can be safely, rationally, honestly discarded.

Yes, isn't it unusual how Paul and other Bible writers make statements like "In the beginning, God made the heavens and the Earth" without any disclaimer, introduction, tee-up, etc.?

Of course, all you need to do is take that one word out that is making you unhappy, God, and you have "In the beginning, the universe was made." Everything I know about current, modern, scientific cosmology (and logic!) denies steady state and infinite universe ideas and instead claims that our energy and matter came from outside time and space, from a region where there was no space. Nothing, than something.

Sorry to drift off there, but you were saying something about the Bible claims being untestable?

General relativity, the 2nd law of you-know-what, the rapidly expanding universe, background cosmic radiation, etc. prove the universe had a finite, not infinite or eternal, start.

thought salad
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
30-07-2015, 12:05 AM
(29-07-2015 08:09 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(28-07-2015 05:24 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Prophecy is fictional Q, fiction is not a form of evidence. Grow up. What part of "demonstrable, testable, and rational" did you not understand? Even if that was true (and it's not you can ask any Jew alive ever) the fact that Pauls work of fiction agrees with another work of fiction is not impressive. The Old Testament is almost entirely fictional with no resemblance to actual history.

No it does not "prove" anything. There is nothing about it that negates an infinite series of bangs and rebangs.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
30-07-2015, 12:14 AM
(30-07-2015 12:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No it does not "prove" anything. There is nothing about it that negates an infinite series of bangs and rebangs.

I'm up for it Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
30-07-2015, 12:17 AM
(30-07-2015 12:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-07-2015 12:05 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No it does not "prove" anything. There is nothing about it that negates an infinite series of bangs and rebangs.

I'm up for it Blush

Bangin

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post