Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2015, 09:42 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(04-08-2015 02:49 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 05:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except I never said that.

If time extends infinitely far into the past, then yes as ∞+1 = ∞.

Yes it can. ∞+x = ∞.

How is it that you claim to know my viewpoint? I haven't stated it. Are you psychic?

You do not understand entropy - it is a measure of disorder. What do you think it is?

I science, but you clearly do not. And you don't even math.

"How is it that you claim to know my viewpoint? I haven't stated it. Are you psychic?"

Yes he is...didn't you know? A few days ago he chose the topic for a debate with me, and then, he claimed, he beat me conclusively. The only problem was that the entire "debate" occurred within his own post, because he thought he knew what I would say, so he spoke for me. He then pronounced himself the winner of the "debate."

I've got a suspicion he was serious, and that he thought people would be impressed. He obviously does think he is psychic.

I'm trying, Mark, to let you off the hook. Did you really wish to enter the boxing ring with me to take the negative from among three suggested debate resolutions--that there is no free will or there is no moral accountability or there is no absolute truth?

Because in doing so, I'd be obliged to point out that you were 1) exercising your free will in choosing to visit the boxing ring 2) holding me ethically/morally accountable for both you and I to teach the correct viewpoints on these items and 3) saying my debate resolution is false--which is of necessity based on the absolute truth that some things are true and some things are false.

Therefore I gracefully pointed out to you the original error--your allowing me to pick the topic for debate.

Of course, I don't mind repeating myself as above, at least until you acknowledge:

Absolute truth exists

Free will exists

People are morally accountable[/i]

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I hope you recognize, Q, that the "you" in my responses was a rhetorical you and that what I was attacking were concepts and ideas, not you personally. I apologize if any of it came across that way.

More than your specific take on the points I made in those posts, when it comes to you personally I am interested in learning your hardness of conviction more than your particular perspective on any one point. The biggest problem I have with religion is that it continues to hold attraction for educated minds - and no mind is educated without being capable of reflection. Reflection necessarily involves evolution of opinion; that's the whole point of reflection; not to contemplate a plateau of certainty but to navigate continued ascent to new knowledge and new understanding.

So just how certain are you? Do you reject outright the possibility that some of your convictions, if not wrong, may be incomplete, the way knowledge of river dynamics falls short of hydrodynamics without knowledge of oceans?

I don't ask this question imaging myself on a plateau of solid understanding. In matters of aviation, for example, I've been flying for more than 40 years, and have a mechanic's certificate with Inspection Authorization in addition to my pilot's license. But I still study the aviation information traffic at all levels, even the most elementary, because not only do I not know way more than I know, there are many things I think I know that I still haven't got right (I don't tell my customers that Tongue).

When it come to interpersonal dynamics within the complex tapestry of human society I regard myself as essentially uneducated; the subject matter is too dense and complicated for me to ever feel comfortable that I really have a grasp of any of it. I know enough to get by, but bruised shoulders and feet stepped on are a daily fact of life that I don't ever see tapering off. So I am repelled by assertions by anyone that claims to not just know it fully, but know it without any room for further enlargement of understanding - who claim to know it beyond any possibility of ever changing their mind.

I'm not surprised when uneducated minds think that, but when an educated mind does, it tweaks me the way seeing a rock suddenly levitate would tweak me. And like a splinter you can't quite get tweezers on, it pokes at my curiosity to try to find out why.

So how certain are you? And that question is directed at the personal Q of obviously educated and reflective mind.
Find all posts by this user
04-08-2015, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2015 11:15 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-08-2015 09:42 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Absolute truth exists

Free will exists

People are morally accountable[/i]

Repeating moronic nonsense does not make it true.
All it does, is demonstrate your deep-seated psychological need to convince YOURSELF, that what you on some level, know to be complete crap, is somehow, true, and your need to keep the cognitive dissonances at bay. You know you have doubts. Admit it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
(04-08-2015 03:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 03:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  Rolleyes You've equally insulted people, called them morons etc when it suits you. You reallly are a hypocritical douche. Anyway, whatever floats your boat, dickhead.

I forgive you for calling me a dickhead. If I did call someone a moron etc, it was in response to them insulting me first. Still I shouldn't have done that. I should have always taken the high road and just forgiven them. I apologize. That being said, if you make a stupid argument, I'm going to call the argument as I see it.

Now when I first came to this forum, I forgave people who insulted me. But that pissed them off even more so I stopped it and just took a tack of insulting them back. That result was worse. So now I have decided I am just going to forgive. If you get a little butthurt because I forgave you that is your problem. I like forgiving, it puts me in a better emotional state so that is what I am going to do.

Since the forgiveness is for your benefit, not ours, why don't you just do it privately?

Or is your need for passive-aggressive bullshit so great?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
(04-08-2015 09:38 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(03-08-2015 05:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except I never said that.

If time extends infinitely far into the past, then yes as ∞+1 = ∞.

Yes it can. ∞+x = ∞.

How is it that you claim to know my viewpoint? I haven't stated it. Are you psychic?

You do not understand entropy - it is a measure of disorder. What do you think it is?

I science, but you clearly do not. And you don't even math.

Repeating, I understand your math as an abstract concept of infinity, however, there is no concrete infinity--we can have an infinite number of conjectural points in space along my 3-foot-long bookshelf but only a finite number of books will fit on this shelf.

Not "we can have", there are an infinite number of distances along your bookshelf.
And this has nothing to do with an infinite extent.

Quote:More germane to this discussion, you claim I don't understand entropy--yet again, you assault my knowledge base rather than answer a question. Repeating:

Do you science or do you think most cosmologists, mathematicians and physicists are wrong when they disagree with your theory of an infinite number of big bangs?

I have not proposed any such theory.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
04-08-2015, 12:25 PM
(04-08-2015 11:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since the forgiveness is for your benefit, not ours, why don't you just do it privately?

Why don't you guys just keep your insults private? Why do you feel the need to spread your hate and contempt?
04-08-2015, 12:44 PM
(04-08-2015 12:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 11:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  Since the forgiveness is for your benefit, not ours, why don't you just do it privately?

Why don't you guys just keep your insults private? Why do you feel the need to spread your hate and contempt?

It will be entertaining to other people reading the thread.

There isn't much gratitude or entertainment gathered by reading soft pleasantries for people given out in comments.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-08-2015, 12:56 PM
(04-08-2015 12:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 12:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why don't you guys just keep your insults private? Why do you feel the need to spread your hate and contempt?

It will be entertaining to other people reading the thread.

There isn't much gratitude or entertainment gathered by reading soft pleasantries for people given out in comments.

I see,

Well I get more benefit publicly forgiving you guys than I do privately forgiving you guys. Also publicly forgiving you guys seems to curb the amount of insults I receive which means you guys are benefiting from it as well.
04-08-2015, 12:59 PM
(04-08-2015 12:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Why don't you guys just keep your insults private? Why do you feel the need to spread your hate and contempt?

Contempt of ignorant religious BS is not a vice.
Ridding the world of nonsense is a good thing.
For centuries skeptical men and women were forced to keep silent.
We get that you idiots don't want to give up the unearned privilege of being in the majority and skeptics were passive and forced to tolerate your ignorance.
Too bad. Those days are long gone. Religion is on the way out, in educated societies.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-08-2015, 01:09 PM
(04-08-2015 12:59 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Contempt of ignorant religious BS is not a vice.
Ridding the world of nonsense is a good thing.
For centuries skeptical men and women were forced to keep silent.
We get that you idiots don't want to give up the unearned privilege of being in the majority and skeptics were passive and forced to tolerate your ignorance.
Too bad. Those days are long gone. Religion is on the way out, in educated societies.

We are talking about spreading contempt and hate directed at forum members and not that directed at religion or public figures.