Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(05-08-2015 10:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I agree. Which of my three resolutions should we visit in the boxing ring? I will of course be assuming the affirmative stance.

I agree that there is free will, there is moral accountability, and there is absolute truth.

So there is not much point in us having a debate on these topics, or a discusssion , as we essentially agree.

Try another topic. You have a degree in biblical studies. You can look up any of thousands of my posts. Pick a topic we disagree about.

Debate resolution:

There is scientific, falsifiable, testable, citable evidence that there is no god.

You will of course have the affirmative position.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2015, 10:16 AM
(06-08-2015 10:08 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 10:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I agree that there is free will, there is moral accountability, and there is absolute truth.

So there is not much point in us having a debate on these topics, or a discusssion , as we essentially agree.

Try another topic. You have a degree in biblical studies. You can look up any of thousands of my posts. Pick a topic we disagree about.

Debate resolution:

There is scientific, falsifiable, testable, citable evidence that there is no god.

Thumbsup Nice Q, you've managed to give the impression that God is a well defined concept and simultaneously imply that we disbelieve because we're too stupid to see that there is no evidence for no God. Well played, slimy apologist, well played.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
06-08-2015, 10:41 AM
(06-08-2015 10:08 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There is scientific, falsifiable, testable, citable evidence that there is no god.

Such a debate would necessarily begin with a scientific, falsifiable, testable definition of a god, a definition that would have to be furnished by Q since the "god" at issue is his god, not some other god.

I'm sure all of us would welcome, Q, hearing that kind of definition, whether yours or anyone's. To my knowledge there is no such thing. Perhaps there needs to be a pre-debate debate: Is It Even Possible to Derive a Scientific, Falsifiable, Testable Definition of a God - you, of course, taking the affirmative position and putting one forth for the first time recorded history.
06-08-2015, 10:50 AM
(06-08-2015 10:16 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:08 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Debate resolution:

Thumbsup Nice Q, you've managed to give the impression that God is a well defined concept and simultaneously imply that we disbelieve because we're too stupid to see that there is no evidence for no God. Well played, slimy apologist, well played.

Not at all! I was just trying to impress on Mark that neither of us should waste our time in a debate--oh, also that, well, would YOU take the affirmative on my resolution?

If not, why not? Do you have evidence that there is no god that we can subject to rules of evidence, peer review and lab tests?

Thanks! Because I'd want THAT if I was to deconvert, right? Don't tell me EVERYONE who is a skeptic at TTA deconverted because of their feelings?!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
06-08-2015, 10:52 AM
(06-08-2015 10:41 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:08 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  There is scientific, falsifiable, testable, citable evidence that there is no god.

Such a debate would necessarily begin with a scientific, falsifiable, testable definition of a god, a definition that would have to be furnished by Q since the "god" at issue is his god, not some other god.

I'm sure all of us would welcome, Q, hearing that kind of definition, whether yours or anyone's. To my knowledge there is no such thing. Perhaps there needs to be a pre-debate debate: Is It Even Possible to Derive a Scientific, Falsifiable, Testable Definition of a God - you, of course, taking the affirmative position and putting one forth for the first time recorded history.

I see. So if my resolution was instead:

There is scientific, falsifiable, testable, citable evidence that there is a god.

You would refuse to debate me at all, ever, because we cannot ever possibly come up with a definition for god. Indeed, you would tell a Hitchens or a Dawkins et al they have NO reason to write books or hold debates, right?

Interesting--so why are you at TTA, then?

06-08-2015, 10:57 AM
(06-08-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:41 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Such a debate would necessarily begin with a scientific, falsifiable, testable definition of a god, a definition that would have to be furnished by Q since the "god" at issue is his god, not some other god.

I see. So if my resolution was instead:

There is scientific, falsifiable, testable, citable evidence that there is a god.

You would refuse to debate me at all, ever, because we cannot ever possibly come up with a definition for god. Indeed, you would tell a Hitchens or a Dawkins et al they have NO reason to write books or hold debates, right?

As AirportKid said, define your God as a testable, falsifiable God. If you can't then debating *either* proposition is pointless. If I use my definition of God then I feel confident that there is no such God, but I will not state that there is scientific evidence against such a God because I feel that the Christian God I've seen people claim to worship has been very carefully turned into an untestable, unfalsifiable hypothesis, and is therefore pointless.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
06-08-2015, 11:09 AM
(06-08-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... because we cannot ever possibly come up with a definition for god.

No?

Then WTF are you worshipping? What are you praying to? You're giving SOMETHING your attention. WHAT is it?
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
06-08-2015, 12:48 PM
(06-08-2015 10:57 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I see. So if my resolution was instead:

As AirportKid said, define your God as a testable, falsifiable God. If you can't then debating *either* proposition is pointless. If I use my definition of God then I feel confident that there is no such God, but I will not state that there is scientific evidence against such a God because I feel that the Christian God I've seen people claim to worship has been very carefully turned into an untestable, unfalsifiable hypothesis, and is therefore pointless.

Is it a reasonable implication of your argument that if I can never prove there is a god, you can never prove there isn't a god? Because I'd derive that from your statement:

Quote:...define your God as a testable, falsifiable God. If you can't then debating *either* proposition is pointless

06-08-2015, 12:49 PM
(06-08-2015 11:09 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ... because we cannot ever possibly come up with a definition for god.

No?

Then WTF are you worshipping? What are you praying to? You're giving SOMETHING your attention. WHAT is it?

AK:

I never said I cannot define god or that god is anything but self-evident to me. You are the person who said "we cannot ever possibly come up with a definition for god".

06-08-2015, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 04:21 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(06-08-2015 10:08 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 10:05 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I agree that there is free will, there is moral accountability, and there is absolute truth.

Debate resolution:

LMAO
Don't you wish.
Nice try, you disingenuous freakazoid.
No one can prove a negative.

I propose you two debate "There is scientific testable, citable evidence that there are no pink sparkly ruby encrusted unicorns". That at least would make more sense than debating the nonexistence of an undefined meme that no one can define coherently.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post