Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2015, 01:13 PM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(07-08-2015 12:47 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 11:20 PM)morondog Wrote:  If you're happy to worship an untestable, unfalsifiable God that's up to you, but you're the guy saying confidently "My God exists". If *your* God exists yet is untestable and unfalsifiable, *how* do you get such confidence? I freely admit that proving that such a God does not exist is impossible as that's inherent in the definition - *unfalsifiable*.

If on the other hand you claim that your God *is* falsifiable, then you should be able to show the process by which you know that he exists. You should be able to define what you mean by God to the point that when you say "And this observation proves that God exists" the God hypothesis a. fits the facts b. is a better explanation than all others for that particular observation.

Otherwise, I repeat, otherwise, *how* do you know that your God exists? Why are you so confident?

Yes, my God both exists and reigns. But to fully answer your honest question of "How do you know your God exists?" we'd have to define terms as to how we can know anything with absolute certainty.

Do you believe in absolutes? Because Mark claims to do so (now)--if you don't, you are setting up a straw man where you never may absolutely know me, yourself... or God.

Don't be silly. I don't ask you for absolute proof. Give me reason to expect that your God exists. And stop dodging. If your God is falsifiable, *how* do you know the properties of your God, if *not*, surely you must admit that it is perfectly valid to disregard your God as a figment of your not-very-fertile imagination?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
08-08-2015, 01:27 PM
(08-08-2015 01:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  Don't be silly. I don't ask you for absolute proof. Give me reason to expect that your God exists.

This is the same thing I ask of dualists and those who believe in an afterlife. I don't require proof, just give me a plausible mechanism of action. ANY plausible mechanism of action will do. Many have tried, all have failed. Dualism is no longer considered a tenable philosophical position.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-08-2015, 05:23 PM
(08-08-2015 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 01:13 PM)morondog Wrote:  Don't be silly. I don't ask you for absolute proof. Give me reason to expect that your God exists.

This is the same thing I ask of dualists and those who believe in an afterlife. I don't require proof, just give me a plausible mechanism of action. ANY plausible mechanism of action will do. Many have tried, all have failed. Dualism is no longer considered a tenable philosophical position.

Hmmm. Consider The philosopher John Searle certainly walks like a dualist, talks like a dualist, and sounds like a dualist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2015, 06:29 PM
(08-08-2015 05:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 01:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is the same thing I ask of dualists and those who believe in an afterlife. I don't require proof, just give me a plausible mechanism of action. ANY plausible mechanism of action will do. Many have tried, all have failed. Dualism is no longer considered a tenable philosophical position.

Hmmm. Consider The philosopher John Searle certainly walks like a dualist, talks like a dualist, and sounds like a dualist.

Searle claimed he was not a dualist. Why I Am Not a Property Dualist.

#sigh
08-08-2015, 07:25 PM
(08-08-2015 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 05:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hmmm. Consider The philosopher John Searle certainly walks like a dualist, talks like a dualist, and sounds like a dualist.

Searle claimed he was not a dualist. Why I Am Not a Property Dualist.

Yeah, and he's full of crap. Why Searle Is a Property Dualist

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
08-08-2015, 11:52 PM
(08-08-2015 05:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hmmm. Consider The philosopher John Searle certainly walks like a dualist, talks like a dualist, and sounds like a dualist.

Quacks like a dualist?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-08-2015, 11:54 PM
(08-08-2015 11:52 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Quacks like a dualist?

Weigh as much as a duelist? Consider

[Image: witchduck.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-08-2015, 05:32 PM
There's a recurrent pattern in this thread.

Q gets shot off at the kneecaps and disappears for a week.

Problem is, when he goes, we're just preaching to the choir.
09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
(09-08-2015 05:32 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  There's a recurrent pattern in this thread.

Q gets shot off at the kneecaps and disappears for a week.

Problem is, when he goes, we're just preaching to the choir.

I don't see it that way. Q, COTW, Alla are just empty chairs anyway because they will not even consider another perspective. I look at it as speaking to the lurkers. They are the real audience.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
09-08-2015, 10:10 PM
(09-08-2015 10:06 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I don't see it that way. Q, COTW, Alla are just empty chairs anyway because they will not even consider another perspective. I look at it as speaking to the lurkers. They are the real audience.

You don't debate for the benefit of your opponent, you debate for the benefit of your audience.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post