Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2015, 05:57 PM
RE: Jesus Christ, A Pointless Sacrifice
(18-08-2015 01:47 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 01:36 PM)Leo Wrote:  Dude : are you high?
Not at all. Are you?

uuuummmmm ... ... maybe? Blush

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-08-2015, 06:02 PM
(18-08-2015 05:06 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Your only fooling yourself.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-08-2015, 06:59 PM
(18-08-2015 05:06 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 03:36 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  You confuse rudeness with objectivity. It helps you avoid the truth.
More assbackwards bullshit. Flip the scrip moron. Your only fooling yourself.

I think you meant "you're."

Are you talking to me?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2015, 07:37 PM
(18-08-2015 05:16 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 05:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I think you mean script.
No, I mean scrip, like prescription, like flip the cheap legal drugs you got and make a profit. Down here we say pronounce it scrip. Unless you were making a pun at scripture, in which case, that would have been somewhat clever, yet also slightly insulting.

You are misunderstanding what "flip the script" means. Script means narrative/story, so flip the script means take a conventional situation or story in an unusual or opposite direction.

The way you parse it makes zero sense: why would making a profit have anything to do with something being "ass-backwards"? Flipping a script (storyline) does. Therefore: script, not scrip. You are correct that scrip is shorthand for prescription, but wrong about the phrase "flip the scrip." Please correct.

You're welcome.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
19-08-2015, 02:17 PM
(18-08-2015 08:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 08:38 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The first definition would be that this god is infinite in power.

Assumption lacking any evidence.

Quote:The formation of this universe from nothing demonstrates this

Quote:(for all practical purposes) the infinite being who created this time/space with matter and energy.

Quote:And again, if you don't know what a god is, how can you sit on a forum and (rudely, unswervingly) question His existence? That's like saying man didn't walk on the moon without knowing what the moon is.

Because there is no evidence of anything like what you (or anyone else) describes, that's how.

You may use infinite in the sense of relatively so or seemingly so compared to small and finite humanity. The evidence was offered here by TTA members, when they suggested that the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy HAD to be suspended or altered from its present form in order to form this universe. That is, that the matter and energy came from nowhere or else another space/time/universe--which implies a problem due to infinite regression.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
19-08-2015, 05:04 PM
[Image: word-salad.png]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
19-08-2015, 06:20 PM
(19-08-2015 02:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You may use infinite in the sense of relatively so or seemingly so compared to small and finite humanity.

No, you may not. You have quite the way of redefining terms to suit yourself.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-08-2015, 06:38 PM
(19-08-2015 02:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You may use infinite in the sense of relatively so or seemingly so compared to small and finite humanity.

So you mean "infinite" in the sense of "not infinite." It's not a term that has a relative variable, dude, it's a binary proposition. Something is either infinite or it is not. If it has a defined finite quantity, even if we are unable to measure it, then it is finite. If it doesn't, then it's infinite. There is no "infinite, for humans," just an expansion of the scope of that which can be measured to encompass the new bounds of what could be measured finitely.

This is what gets me about religious argumentation, this power you think you have to redefine words on a whim to mean things they don't mean for your own convenience. Like your religion gives you ownership over language.
[+] 2 users Like Esquilax's post
20-08-2015, 07:51 AM
(19-08-2015 06:38 PM)Esquilax Wrote:  

So you mean "infinite" in the sense of "not infinite." It's not a term that has a relative variable, dude, it's a binary proposition. Something is either infinite or it is not. If it has a defined finite quantity, even if we are unable to measure it, then it is finite. If it doesn't, then it's infinite. There is no "infinite, for humans," just an expansion of the scope of that which can be measured to encompass the new bounds of what could be measured finitely.

This is what gets me about religious argumentation, this power you think you have to redefine words on a whim to mean things they don't mean for your own convenience. Like your religion gives you ownership over language.

God uses terms and comparisons in the Bible to describe Himself as infinite, for example, the challenge to Abraham to number the stars of the universe. For all practical purposes, this is an infinite number to us little humans, first because it is a vast number, and secondly because no observable universe edge/border has been seen. Your problem is that you seem a bit angry because you suggest somehow that I condescended to mention that the Creator of a universe over 15 Billion LIGHT YEARS across in any direction from Earth is "pretty gosh-darn infinite". EXCUSE ME. How gracious of you to attack me on semantics. Your is the kind of post that promulgates the Christian stereotype of atheists as rude and petty. Cut it out, please.

PS. I get to define any terms about God I want when atheists are so illogical as to stridently insist that God cannot be defined! If YOU will first define what a "god" is so we can argue effectively, I can then step forward into a definition of "infinite" that works for us.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
20-08-2015, 08:19 AM
(20-08-2015 07:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  God uses terms and comparisons in the Bible to describe Himself as infinite, for example, the challenge to Abraham to number the stars of the universe.

Oh, God wrote the Bible? Do you have actual evidence of that?

Quote:PS. I get to define any terms about God I want when atheists are so illogical as to stridently insist that God cannot be defined!

Except no one said that. What has been said is that theists do not offer consistent or definitive definitions of their gods.

Quote:If YOU will first define what a "god" is so we can argue effectively, I can then step forward into a definition of "infinite" that works for us.

It is not up to us to define what your claim is. You are the one claiming a god, it is up to you to bloody well define it. Facepalm

And please do not offer us an incompetent definition of infinity - your math skills are too rudimentary for that and you will just embarrass yourself. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post